For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How often should a 1 year old or older dog go?
  • wliu003wliu003
    In terms of peeing and pooping.

Now that I am back home for the summer I am dealing with Kelly refusing to pee or poop in the backyard. She only goes when we go for walks, play at a friends place, or at the dog park. Sometimes when the entire family is busy until dinner time, she holds it the entire morning and day without disturbance and when we let her outside into our backyard she just doesn't go. Sometimes she doesn't even go outside. Now on days that we cannot walk her or talk her to play, she does indeed go in the backyard but she lags it out to 10 -11 pm.

I know this is a bigger problem amongst other breeds, and I did read about this with the Shibas but I had no idea it was this extreme. Any advice or opinions on this matter would help a lot. Thanks.
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Koda holds it all day at 3 months old. He won't even use wee wee pads, and only likes to go on lead out on the grass. If I'm not there he doesn't go. I just make sure I take him out every couple hours to get him to go.

Try putting her on a lead and taking her out into the backyard. I do it with Koda. Also, you could hire a dogwalker during the week.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Katsu poops twice a day, morning and evening and will pee whenever we walk her. She actually pees on pavement and black top, and has even pooped in the petco parking lot. She can hold it for a while though, no accidents since the first week.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Beebe used to be so (unreasonably) stubborn about not going where and when I thought she should go, but I really don't think she had to. She would seem to be perfectly fine holding it all day long even though we had plenty of outside time and frequent breaks. The only info I had ever had on house training was for labs and goldens and breeds like that that are nowhere near as tidy as Shiba so that is the worst case scenario I planned for going in with my first Shiba. As a result, I probably worried way too much about her voiding from day 1 (aside from the poo eating.) As she has matured, she has become a little less stubborn about holding it when she doesn't really need to.

The 2 new girls I have had here for training this last few months are a different story. Neither of them went for the first 2-3 days, pee or poo, and this last girl wouldn't poo at all for about 5 days until she finally exploded in a Petsmart (it was embarassing, but at least she didn't do it in her crate). We went to Petco 4 days later and she did it again. Talk about stubborn, but they refuse going on walks, and really don't want to go in their new yard. They chose the furthest corners of the yard to go (behind trees, under shrubs) and bury the messes with leaves. Oddly, I think Alona is sort of waiting until we go to Petsmart again...
  • bstevenerbstevener
    Duke will go in the yard, but prefers to go on walks. If he goes for a walk, he will poop 4-5 times, with nothing left after the first.

Its like he has diarrhea, but only on walks, never any other time.
  • KaddyKaddy
    Keiko will only go on walks, and she is VERY stubborn about going. Sometimes she pees twice a day, sometimes only once, and sometimes not at all. Same thing for poo - usually if she goes once per day we get super happy.

As most of you probably remember she's always been stubborn and picky about going.
  • CaliaCalia
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Wait. Why are there some days that you can't walk your dog? It probably would only take 15 minutes for a potty walk. Is everyone in the family gone until 10pm?
  • wliu003wliu003
    I never said everyone was gone. We are currently adjusting to this situation because I am home for the summer (I usually live at school where there is no problem.) What I am saying is that if we do not walk her she refuses to go until 10 or 11pm in our backyard. I hated seeing her hold it for that long so I asked to see if this was a problem with other people too. Now we try to take her out once in the morning, work/school, then for a long walk after dinner.

If you read my post again you'll likely find the answers to your questions.
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    Really I would just make a point of getting up earlier and taking her on a good walk. None of my dogs will relieve themselves in the yard. So we get up at 5 or 6 EVERY morning and walk them a few miles. At the very least long enough to get them to do their business. Then even when both of us are working we have someone come to the house to walk them until they pee. Just because they CAN hold it doesn't mean they should. In the best interest of the health of your dog, I would strongly encourage you to bump up your walking schedule.
  • wliu003wliu003
    Yup,I agree. Our family has definitely adjusted. I really hated to see her hold it for so long. It would always be on my mind when I was busy working.
  • mlvuemlvue
    We have a routine with Tank and we stick to it like glue. The hub gets up at 4:30am, takes Tank out on a brisk walk until he goes poo & pee (the walk lasts about 30mins or a mile). I take Tank out around 6:30am, walk him for 15-20mins & only sometimes does he pee. Tank is extremely picky about where he goes (either pee or poo) and absolutely refuses to go in our yard or anywhere close to our home. I think it has to do with his Shibatude of some patches or grass simply not being good enough for him to relieve himself on lol.

Due to our work schedule, Tank doesn't get to go out again until 3:30 or 4pm but he usually poos & pees again during this walk. Sometimes, the walk can last up to an hour before Tank goes potty. I've noticed that we can sometimes speed up the process by running with him - lots of movement usually can get Tank's little system going. :P

At night, Tank goes on a walk again around 8'ish and sometimes he poos other times he doesn't but he always pees.
    Post edited by mlvue at 2009-07-22 18:16:52
  • wliu003wliu003
    The funny thin is that I THOUGHT she knew it. Cause when we are at school, I would get a treat and tell her to "potty" and she would go and then come back for the treat. This was pretty consistent. But now I realized that shes probably conditioned in that setting rather than actually understand the command. So I'm going to have to retrain her with the word potty.

We set up a new walking schedule and shes going 4-5 times now (including once or twice in our backyard when we play fetch or some other active game.)
  • yeah, just retraining should do the trick. yay on the new schedule! :) Dogs are hard work, but it's all worth it.
  • ivesives
    Does anyone have any suggestions for this or experience the same thing?

Buddy is almost 1 year old and recently (within the last 3 weeks) has become EXTREMELY pick about peeing. He has always been somewhat picky. But before if I stood at the pee spot he would go within 10 min. We used to take him out every 5hrs. But now since the last 3 weeks he just never seems to have the urge to pee. His pee area is down a street and half an ave (live in nyc). So there are multiple areas he could go to and that area has the least distractions. If he goes pee at the pee spot he gets treats, praise, and gets to go on his walk. His not peeing is getting kind of ridiculous. He often he goes 9-13 hrs without peeing. Took him to the vet.. everything seems to be fine.. I even tried taking him another area around the same distance but didn't work either.

Maybe he wants to mark but he doesn't know how? He always goes back and forth before he peeds but recently he does it So may times.

tips? suggestions?

thanks!

• sunyatasunyata
  • RooneyRooney
  • NikkitineNikkitine
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso pees usually around 4 times a day. Sometimes 3, sometimes 5. He saves his poop for his Canyon walk though lol! ;)
  • We just came back from a trip to Miami and Rei doesn't want to poop in her spot anymore :( She was getting so good at it! She'll pee but not poop.
  • I wanted to chime in with a question and in need of some help for potty training. Running into a similar to ives and a few others in this thread. Took us some time during the summer but we got our pup, Aki, to pee in a designated spot about 3-5 minutes away from our house (refuses to go on a patch outside our house). Recently, ever since it started raining, she has refused to go there anymore and will not respond to the potty command. I think she knows the command, just doesn't like to listen to it cuz I've seen her go potty on command when she sees another dog walking by and knows if she doesn't pee she won't get to say "hi".

I've tried retraining her to go potty where she used to by taking her out every half hour or so, waiting around for 5-10 minutes, and crating her (she hates the crate), if she doesn't do her business. At first i thought she just didn't need to pee, but after I gave in cuz I was getting worried (had a huge bowl of water in the morning), she had the largest pee ever when on a walk. Now, she'll only pee on a walk, which is fine since we take her out during the morning and afternoon. But it's the end of the day one, right before bed, where I'd really like her to pee so she doesn't hold it in all night long that really needs to have happen, but she won't pee at a spot.

I'll admit that I haven't been the best human, gotten very frustrated with her and have yelled at her, but I really need some pointers on getting some help with training this. Sorry if this post is disjointed, and thanks in advance.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • @sunyata sorry, but I don't believe laziness is the issue. We'll walk her plenty, 2.5 miles at a time, and sometimes without a sign of peeing, and then get home only to have her whine to want to get let out. During the time she was peeing consistently at a spot, we've always continued with a long walk as a reward, never pulling her home afterwards. Like you indicated, you also do a 20 min walk or so before bed, as do we, and often she just will not go either, holding it in all night. The purpose of us trying to train her is so she can relieve herself consistently, not us getting lazy and not walking her.
  • @hsupperman

Train "pee on it" as a command and "go poop" as a command.

https://www.doggiebuddy.com/topics/Trainingtopics/traintopic3.html pee on it is on this list.

• My shiba, Ham alternates where he likes to pee/poo pretty frequently and has sometimes held his pee or poop because he wanted to do his business in a new area. It's hard to predict this, but on our longer walks, he will generally settle to do his business somewhere along our walk regardless. Ham also takes about 2 minutes to pick where in his potty spot he wants to go, so I have to be patient with him. So perhaps your shiba has a new place that she'd like to go to pee/poo.

Ham and I go on two 1.25 hour walks (pre-work and post-work) and a shorter walk over lunch time and before bedtime, so Ham has plenty of opportunity to go. In addition to a schedule, maybe more frequent walks or more sniffing time during walks instead of simply getting to a certain place (I have no clue what your current walks look like since you listed in distance and not time).

You can also go back to basics 101. Take treats with you on your walk, and give your pup a treat when she pees and poops.

Lastly, getting on a consistent schedule helps loads. Ham knows that if he holds it while we're outside and we come back inside, he doesn't get to go out again until I'm done with whatever tasks I'm doing. Ham is old enough to hold it (I don't know how old your dog is). But he's on a schedule and if he chooses not to go, he has to wait. If he can't wait calmly in the house he goes to wait in his crate or in his relaxation spot (time out spot). I then finish my task and call him to me to go out. If he comes, we go outside.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)