For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
My shiba just had two seizures
  • ironmbironmb
    Hello all,

I've had my shiba for almost 5 years now, I got her while I was stationed in Japan and we have been great until today. At 2am I heard loud noises under my bed and I woke to see my dog having a seizure, I grabbed her and controlled her so she wouldn't hurt herself.. Her body was tense and shook some... after about 20 sec (probably 1 min seizure) she finally settled and came back to.. She stood up and walked a little crooked, after a few minutes she was fine and was running around and eating and went to the restroom. Then 6 hours later she had another one.... same scenario. I know the history and understand shibas are prone to seizures.

I'm also worried that our newly adopted cat has played a vital role into her seizures. We've had the cat for 2 months and sometimes my shiba will eat the rest of the cat's wet food and I believe she eats the cats poop covered in kitty litter that the cat flings out of his box. .. this is only guessing. I posted this okn my Facebook as well and many owners who have shibas said her diet change could possibly be causing the seizures. As of today I'm switching her to a raw diet.... She was eating blue buffalo until today.

I'm looking for insight.... any experiences

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2018-02-12 13:09:39
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    If you browse a bit / search google for results in the shiba forum, I think there are some posts around about seizures that might be helpful to you. I haven’t had experience with dogs having seizures, but I definitely think a Vet trip is in order. Maybe you can move the cat box to a place that isn’t within your shiba’s reach, like up high or get a baby gate that had a small cat door, block the door with something that can be climbed by a cat but keeps shiba out of the room that it’s in...

I’ve never heard of diet change causing seizures. I would expect that to cause more digestive upset rather than something neurological unless they were consuming something toxic. I don’t think cat food is toxic to dogs, but still should be monitored and managed so only the cat is the one eating the cat food haha. Definitely talk to a vet though. I guess that might be an obvious piece of advice but you didn’t mention it in your original post so, just in case, I’ll mention it. If my dog had a seizure, I would be rushing to the nearest emergency vet as soon as it happened, or at least calling them, asking what to do, and making an appointment with my Vet asap. But I’m kind of a worrier when it comes to my furry child. xP

Here are some posts I came across when searching:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/6825/shibas-with-seizures/p1

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/300/seizures/p1
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2018-02-10 19:25:59
  • HerbHerb
    Ironmb,

Short version: Our female had a seizure a while ago. We quickly determined it was caused by switching to Comfortis, the oral flea medication. Stopped it immediately and she was fine.

Long version: She was misdiagnosed by emergency vet as having broken her neck. Said she need surgery or she would be paralyzed. We waited until the follow morning. She seemed better. The neurologist thought she was fine. She quickly looked up Comfortis - it killed six Boxers in Ohio and was known to cause seizures.

I hope you find a solution for your girl.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @ironmb - What did your vet say when you took her in?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)