For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Help with awful breath
  • cmarez93cmarez93
    I have a 4 year old female Shiba. For about the past year/ year and half her breath has been AWFUL - like a rotting smell. I’ve taken her to the vet and they’ve cleaned her teeth but that didn’t help for long. She isn’t much of a chewer at all, and hates her teeth brushed at home. I did some reading and saw that probiotics manly help. Has anyone used one with good success?

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2018-01-17 13:07:03
  • Arge12Arge12
    It's always worth it to make sure something is rotting inside the mouth, causing the bad breath. One way I get around mild bad breath is by letting my girl eat coconut oil. I've found recently though that it doesn't sit terribly well in her stomach, so I don't do it often anymore.

Something my friend did was mix coconut oil, mint and parsley, then freeze it in a small bone-shaped ice cube tray to let them set so that they're easy to feed like dog treats.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I’m one of those ppl that brushes my dog’s teeth at least every other day if not daily. I also mix equal parts aloe Vera juice and hydrogen peroxide and rub that with either gauze, a cotton ball, or a q tip to the teeth / where teeth meet the gum line. It softens the plaque (over time) so that it comes off easily. It has been especially helpful for my family’s 10 year old poodle who lives with my parents and almost never gets her teeth brushed.

I’m loving the coconut oil, mint, and parsley idea! I might have to try that haha. I know there are like water additives or daily chews that claim to help with bad breath if you’re looking for something with a little less commitment lol. Idk how well / if those work all that well. Can always ask Vet what they suggest to help with bad breath, and of course to make sure it’s not something like a rotting tooth.

If you’re not too squeamish about raw meet, feeding a raw meaty bone is great for teeth and most dogs have no complaint about chewing them up. As long as your dog doesn’t try to just swallow them whole. Some dogs are more responsible chewers than others, so it’s important to monitor. The bone needs to be soft enough to chew up, like a chicken neck or wing. Most beef bones are too hard and can chip teeth if a dog bites down on them. Also, feeding raw food mixed with / at the same time as kibble can cause tummies to be a bit rumbly for some dogs because kibble and raw digest at different rates. So if your dog is kibble fed, a meaty bone would be ideal as an afternoon snack. Chicken feet are also good options and are also great for eye health (high in glucosamine). If fed raw, chicken bones are quite malleable and easy to digest for dogs. But cooked bones become brittle and can be dangerous, so never feed cooked bones.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @cmarez93 - We require that all members introduce themselves to the community before being given full access and asking questions. Since this is not an introduction post, I am going to go ahead and close this thread. Please start a new thread and tell us a bit about yourself, your Shiba, and what made you decide to add a Shiba to your family. Thank you.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)