For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Taste of the Wild Prey
  • I know the regular taste of the wild is a popular food choice among shiba owners here. TOTW just came out with a new line of food: Taste of the Wild Prey. It's a limited ingredient formula. Has anyone tried it? What are everyone's thoughts on it?
  • ObizaObiza
    That sounds interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Chewy or anywhere local near me provides it yet. I can't even find it on amazon. It must be very new.
  • BootzBootz
    In general, I don’t think you should feed a limited ingredient kibble formula unless your dog is prone to certain allergies.

This also goes with grain free. A lot of owners seem to immediately opt for grain free or limited ingredient formula when they have perfectly healthy dogs.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Bootz - I am curious to know your reasoning behind not feeding grain free foods to dogs that do not have a grain allergy... One of my dogs has a grain allergy, the other does not. I feed them both grain free food and neither have had any issues with nutrition.

From my research and understanding, grain free foods are not necessarily healthier than foods with grains (if all else is equal), but that eliminating grains from a dog's diet does not create a dietary deficiency.

However, I do agree that a limited ingredient kibble should only be used as a tool to determine and eliminate possible allergens.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Edit - I had a stupidly long rambly post going too off topic haha, but basically I just want to ask if it’s possible for dogs that don’t have a grain allergy to become less tolerant of grains by not being exposed to them?
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-12-14 19:57:15
  • Besides some GI issues that could come from adding grains to a diet devoid of them for a while, generally the more a person is exposed to something the more opposrtunity they have to become allergic to it (hygiene hypothesis aside). That being said I usually deal with things that are airborne so feel free to correct me if the oral exposure route is really different.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Yeah that makes sense. I don’t mean developing a legitimate allergy by not being exposed, but more like developing a sensitivity or intolerance. Maybe they would also just have to be exposed to grain slowly to reintroduce it to the diet and be fine...? So maybe it’s a nonissue, except I wonder if a dog without a grain allergy that hadn’t had grain in a long time were given a treat or snack containing grain, would they have rumbly tummy issues? And it might be assumed that that dog has developed a grain allergy, when really they just haven’t had it in their diet and their body is not used to processing it...? Or something like that haha.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-12-14 21:26:24

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)