For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Boots/socks to protect new puppy (8w) when outside?
  • AngelusAngelus
    I was considering getting socks (just $4, so no big investment) for when I get my puppy. I want him to be getting leash training, exercise, and socialization during that first month I have him (as well as after). People on here have said they carry baby wipes. I was thinking if I used the socks, maybe that would protect his feet more so I wouldn't have to worry about him stepping in parvo-poop on the sidewalk or just something small. I'll also be sure to avoid high-dog areas, no parks, only vaccinated puppy play, and avoid all dog poop, but I thought the socks could offer some extra protection. I really don't want him getting sick, but I don't want to sacrifice a month of outside training and socialization!

I was also thinking I could wash them normally, since they are really just socks with a hard-ish bottom on them, so it would wash away the ick.

Plus, I would like him to be able to wear boots in the future (as I'll be taking lots of snow trips with him!), I figured if he wears something a little less constricting now, he would be a little used to the 'shoe' feeling so he might not become a statue when I put boots on him later (as I have heard many Shibas become when subjected to the evil boots :P).

What do you Shiba-experienced think?
  • AngelusAngelus
    Oops, I guess this could go under Puppy Woes. I was thinking because it was boot advice it went here. Sorry!
  • RikkaRikka
  • JuniJuni
    I say good luck with putting socks on a shiba puppy...
    In general Shibas are very sensitive about their paws and need much training so you can hold them, wipe them, trim the claws and personally I'd feel that's enough for the puppy.
    As for disease control measure I'm not sure socks would be enough anyways, puppies tend to put lots of things in their mouths too for example, but parvo hardly exist in my country so I don't know much about it.
    For the snow plans I can at least vouch for that boots are not needed. Shibas do just fine without. There are paw creams you can buy that protect them if needed.
  • amtiamti
    Post edited by amti at 2013-04-18 04:31:34
  • XabiXabi
    Post edited by Xabi at 2013-04-18 13:48:59
  • knnwangknnwang
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    I had luck with the rubber balloon shoes. They were the only ones I had success with. They stay on well, though I only use them in winter.

In the summer I just wipe his feet, its a lot easier... Plus could help with getting your puppy used to having his paws touched. Bonus!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • AngelusAngelus
    Okay thanks everyone!

That's really helpful, because I wasn't sure. I may be in a low disease area anyway, who knows? I think I might get them, but just for him to get used to them inside, he may never need real boots, but at least if he ever does then he wouldn't freak out. On walks though, I'll just be careful and bring puppy wipes (and hold him or keep him mostly inside).

And I don't live in a snow area, I just like going out to the snow, and I've read the cold can hurt most dogs' paws, but I think I may just use the gel stuff if it's particularly cold so he can feel a little more free. I don't like wearing shoes all the time either. :)
  • AngelusAngelus
    Btw cute video and pictures :D
  • dougfoodougfoo
    I live in an area where summer (coming soon) hits 90's, and sidewalk will be scorching - not sure how hot but too hot for me to walk barefoot for more than 10 feet. (And I live in the city - so lotta concrete to walk on before I can get to a park).

Would anyone suggest booties ? I'm thinking to carry my pup to a shaded potty area outside early morning/late eve when the streets are cooled

By peak summer she will be 5 months..
  • NikkitineNikkitine
  • We live smack dab in the middle of the city in Toronto so there is often more salt than snow. Pepper uses pawsh paws and I usually add mushers secret on top (as an extra layer on the bottom of the shoe). This seems to keep an extra layer of wax that absorbs into the leather and her feet stay dryer longer. I only would do this if there's been salt/sharp ice/slush combo around for a while. If its like the first snowfall, she just goes commando.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)