For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
All Kinds of Known Shiba Allergies
  • MyaMya
    Shibas seem to be one of the most allergy-prone breeds (just my impression) and Mya has an allergy that we've been trying to rule out for almost a year now. We've used the process of elimination on chicken and beef, with no results.

I've heard of shibas allergic to:
    chicken
    wheat
    corn
    beef
    pollen
    grass
    household cleaners
    detergents

(I've heard of siberian huskies being allergic to the soap they used to wash his bowl, and another one was found allergic to the rinsing agent you put in the dishwashing machine to help in the drying)

Does your shiba have an allergy- aside from too much cuddling? If so, what is she allergic to?

Hoping some answers might actually ring a bell and help us discover Mya's allergy and perhaps help other allergy sufferers too.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:09:23
  • My mom's bull terrier had an allergy that she for the life of her couldn't pin point. They had this dog on $50 a meal diets to try and figure out what he was allergic to. Turns out it was dust mites. A complete bedding wash and an air purifier cured him all up. Might be worth a shot.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko seems to be mainly allergic to pollen and other airborne allergens that most humans are allergic to, otherwise I haven't noticed additional allergies.
  • My Shiba is allergic to: grains, chicken, beef, fish and probably dust mites and some pollens. He's even allergic to excitement!
  • my shiba was allergic to all grains and some pollen.

My pit bull is allergic to chicken, eggs, prednisone, grass pollen, ragweed pollen, grain, and bee stings.
  • MyaMya
    Curlytails, thanks for directing me to the allergy discussion on the Dogster forum. I can't believe it! Human Dander??

Thanks to everyone who have responded. You are so lucky to have allergy serum tests available to you there. There is no such thing for canines here in Manila. We have good vets, but no veterinary dermatologists! Argh!

I'm getting desperate as Mya's tail is becoming thinner and thinner. It's half of its original bushiness already! I'm gonna have to keep on applying the topical antibiotic, though I think she's been on it for too long now!
  • Hi Mya (it's Winnie's mom from Dogster)

Winnie's allergies are the following:
    Fowl (duck, chicken, pheasant, turkey)
    wheat & grains
    fleas
    cockroaches
    walnut
    dandelion
    grass pollen
    ragweed pollen
    house dust mites
    mold
  • Post edited by Miyumi_Pup at 2011-10-05 10:52:57
  • sunyatasunyata
  • sunyatasunyata
  • A great many Shibas have allergies. I would say it probably isn't just one thing but a combination of multiple irritants on top of what your dog is already allergic to. I trip to an veterinary dermatologist can be of help (see link below).

It sounds like you have moved into new construction. With new construction it needs to breath, meaning there are product elements that are irritating that have to air out....formaldehyde in carpets, arsenic in timber framing, glues in flooring and cabinets. Much of it can be undetectable to some human noses but may very well be causing an allergy flair for your dog.

To add ....allergy related issues are not just about food usually, it is commonly environmental. Molds, fungi, and pollen found on common grasses, lake edges, and streams as part of decomposition. Often early morning and evening are the worst as the dew holds the mold low to the ground. What the molds don't throw your dog's way, mid day adds pollen to the mix. (keep your pup wiped down coming in from walks and keep bedding washed.)

Each dog is different and narrowing it down usually requires some professional help. Even if you got rid of all the roaches and insects in the world I don't think that would fully solve the problem.

Diatomaceous earth/powder is a good way to rid of some insect pests but do not place it in areas your dog can inhale the particulates or where it would get kicked up by wind or ac vents blowing it around.

You best bet is to get your dog to the vet so that you can prevent further irritation for your Shiba. Once a full flair occurs it can take a long time to work through. Also allergies tend to get worse with age so really a vet dermatologist might be the best option in the long run.

https://www.acvd.org/locator/locator.asp

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-10-05 13:10:38
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2011-11-13 14:52:11
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah, sounds like he's blowing his coat. Conker gets more itchy than normal when he's shedding and the fur just comes off real easy.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2011-11-14 12:32:15
  • sunyatasunyata
  • HamletHamlet
    None of the Shibas I've heard of have rivaled our family's Westie for allergies. In fact, that's one of the reasons that I was researching dogs other than Westies for our first pet. The breed, for some reason, is extremely prone to allergies, particularly skin allergies - which tend to manifest in skin irritation, hair loss, and itching. For about 3-5 years, our Westie actually had little or no hair due to all her itching - and this was with medications and a special diet. She actually only improved once my mom started home-cooking for her: ground pork, rice, carrots and green beans with supplements.

We asked our breeder about allergies he's encountered with his Shibas. His recommendation was that to avoid allergies, other than seasonal ones, stick to a mostly fish-based diet with some poultry/pork supplements, but he's found dogs of his who eat mostly chicken-based foods or beef-based foods have more food allergies. Hamlet is 2 years old now and has no allergies other than some minimal seasonal sneezing/snorting that happens for a day or two when we change seasons.

Salmon oil is extremely greasy and has a strong odor, so I highly recommend AGAINST using it if you hand-feed! You might want to look into supplementing his diet with some fish-based treats or other treats supplemented with Omega-3 oils rather than just using salmon oil.

And as for coat blowing...yep, sounds like it. Right now, Hamlet is blowing coat and my husband had to stop mid-walk to pull fuzz from his butt "so he doesn't look like he has some strange disease". XD
    Post edited by Hamlet at 2011-11-14 16:44:04
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2011-11-14 17:20:34
  • BootzBootz
    Totw is coming out with a puppy version of their pacific stream, fish based grain free dog food. Should be out soon, since they said mid November. I dont see a problem with rotating foods with puppies, Bootz is on her third brand/protein and she's only 5 months. It helps them stay interested, and its nice to see them get excited with new food.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sunyatasunyata
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • starrystarry
    Hey, I know this is an old thread but,
    Does anyone's shiba sneeze as an allergic reaction???
    I was transitioning evie to blue wilderness salmon and she started sneezing multiple sneezes in succession and a lot of occurrences, so much that she got nosebleeds and was scratching her nose raw.
    The sneezing slowed down a couple days after I switched her back to her old food, and now it has stopped.
    There were no other signs, stool was fine, no hair loss, skin looked good, no scratching or chewing at her feet...
    I was thinking maybe pollen or grass, but she goes outside now and doesn't sneeze...

I don't think I've heard of a shiba allergic to salmon nor one with sneezing as the symptom.
    Does anyone have a similar situation or other speculations?
  • sunyatasunyata
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Yes most certainly there are dogs that are allergic to Salmon and salmon oil, fish and fish oils. What a dog is allergic to can vary greatly across the board even in the same household. Yep, unfortunately allergic reactions are individual to the specific animal. There are some things that seem to have a greater influence in causation (say grasses, pollen, mold and dust mites or particular food stuffs) but it isn't necessarily the same fixed across all dogs in a breed.

I know great answer, not something that I wanted to hear in treating my dogs. Anyway, as a result each owner has to work the issue out for each animal, and if you are as unlucky as we have been it has required getting down to the nitty gritty with the help of a veterinary dermatologist.

Sneezing can be a sign but it is generally not the only sign, from what I have observed inverted sneezing is more common in the allergic dog.

Hope this helps to answer part of your question
    Snf
  • atlasatlas
    What should be my very first step in determining a cause of allergies?

Mitsu is about two and a half years old and has never shown signs of allergies. Then, about a month and a half ago, she started chewing at her paws more frequently. I thought at first it was because she upset a few ants one day and that they had possibly bitten her as a result, but it's only gotten worse.

I'm thinking it's allergies, because I've seen this with my dalmatian. With my dalmatian, though, we are able to control his seasonal allergies with claritin. I called my old vet, who is now far away from me, to get her opinion and she told me I could try half a claritin with Mitsu. Well, it isn't making any difference at all.

Her ONLY symptom is the itching. No sneezing, no gastrointestinal problems, etc. She hasn't had any fur loss, but yesterday I noticed that her paws are starting to look irritated.

She eats a raw diet based primarily on chicken and turkey, and all her treats are grain free and varied proteins, like lamb and beef and deer.

I'm going to take Mitsu to the vet, but the problem I have is that I can't take her to the vet until my next day off (Oct. 29 - because my vet is only open Mon - Fri and I can't take off right now). There's a clinic that I can go to on Saturday that I'm considering doing, because it's a walk-in clinic, but they don't know anything about Mitsu so it'd be kind of a random visit. Pretty sure I'm going to do that, but I'm worried that they'll be like, "Just take this!" and give me steroids or something.

Is it best to stop giving her ALL treats and maybe feed her one protein only, like rabbit or lamb or something? I don't really know where to start figuring out what is causing this.

Post edited by atlas at 2012-10-11 14:37:50
  • atlasatlas
    I haven't been on the forum much because I've been really busy with classes (now we have both rally and agility, plus socialization classes for our newest addition) and such, but I thought I would update this real quick to say that my vet doesn't think it's food-related. She said that food allergies typically make the dog's entire body itch, and because Mitsu is just focusing on her paws/legs, she thinks it's some kind of pollen. We're trying a new prescription allergy med and she also recommended wiping off Mitsu's feet with a baby wipe when she comes in from outside.

I'm also taking a break from chicken and turkey, because we started that before I was able to see the vet, but we'll probably put her back on poultry here in a couple of months, after we've used up the raw we have now.

She said she can refer us to a dermatologist and we can always consider allergy testing, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary. She mentioned steroids too but she doesn't think we're in a position where we need to try those yet.

Mitsu's coat actually has been feeling dry and coarse also, but it turns out that she somehow managed to get a tapeworm (she gets treated for fleas every month and I have never seen a flea on her, but I guess she managed to ingest one somehow regardless??) and I know that those can cause coarse fur, too.
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
  • RikkaRikka
  • I've only had Winston for a week, but I think he's allergic to something either in our house or outside. He didn't show any symptoms until he had been here for a few days and they're getting worse.

He's been sneezing a lot, scratching, biting/grooming his legs, feet, and sides, and huffing a little when he breathes. He sneezed 5 times in a row this morning. We started switching him from Purina Puppy Chow Chicken and Rice to Blue Buffalo Freedom Chicken Recipe, which is grain, gluten, soy, corn, and wheat free. I've been reading that Shibas can be allergic to chicken, but I figured since the Purina was also chicken and he was okay with that he would be okay with the Blue chicken. We also give him Blue Bits chicken treats.
    We got him in Georgia and he's currently living with us in Virginia, so I'm wondering if it could be different plants/pollens that he could be allergic to. Our house is very clean (my dad is a neat freak and a germaphobe) and we have wood floors and wool carpets, though Winston seems to really love the carpets.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow for allergy testing... poor little guy.

(Editing to say he got a clean bill of health from the vet last Wednesday, so I'm pretty sure it's allergies.)
    Post edited by willgraham at 2014-11-30 15:16:31
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • I agree with @Kira_Kira in that it sounds like a food allergy. I would suggest having your little one allergy tested. I have a vet visit for Quake this Saturday and I will be getting him allergy testing and a full blood panel in addition to his vaccinations and heartworm test. I just want to make sure he's fine.
  • We took him to the vet today and she wasn't concerned about his sneezing, but since he had loose stools and mucus in his stool this morning they did a fecal test and found bacteria in it. He's on some medicine now so he should be better in a few days.

She also said that Blue Buffalo is good food for him, but it's really rich so he might have loose stools with it for a bit, especially since he's a puppy. If his stomach is still upset after his treatment, I might switch to the fish flavored Blue instead.
  • @willgraham,

I fed blue buffalo wilderness until I learned banjo had some food sensitivities. I then put him on raw and its been amazing. FWIW, my lil guy isn't fond of chicken (i still feed it occasionally as there is no harm in the monthly meal of chicken breast when I am lazy), but it sounds food related.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • @willgraham-Quake's vet wasn't oncerned about his sneezing either and she said the itching was likely due to Quake having very dry skin. I have been giving him Grizzly Salmon oil supplement and also some coconut oil in his food. His itching has decreased some but he still itches. I feed him Wellness Core no grain kibble and he loves it. The treats he gets are no grain treats. I would rather spend the extra money on allergy testing just to make sure.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • We took him to an emergency vet last night because we saw blood in his stools and they found clostridium, so now he's on another medicine and a bland diet (prescription only wet food) for 3 days.
    The vet said to wean him off of the bland diet to whatever food we want to keep him on - so I'm confused as to whether we should go with the Purina or the Blue. She said to pick one instead of mixing it... I'm tempted to just go straight to the Blue because it's better for him. Poor little guy has been pretty upset by all of this so I hope it clears up soon :(

The vet did check for fleas and didn't find any. After he's feeling better I'm going to give him a bath. I'm still not entirely convinced he isn't allergic to our wool rugs or something outside, but I guess we'll see. I actually live in Georgia most of the year, so at least if it is environmental, it might go away when I take him back with me in January.
  • ummm please don't put him on Purina if you can afford a better food.

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-12-02 14:31:57

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)