For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Kai Ken vs. Akita
  • TortieTortie
  • BootzBootz
    Somebody with more experience can chime in, but I think in general all the Nihon Kens are aloof and like to do their own thing.

The Nihon Ken forum can help you more since owners can chime in with their own experience.

But, Personalities aside, if you're looking for a dog breed that will be "laying under your chair" while you are on the computer, I think you are looking for a more dependent/clingy breed.
  • TortieTortie
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • oneluckymugoneluckymug
    You can be directed to certain breeds while looking for the velcro tendency, but if you already know you want that tendency, a breed rescue may be perfect for you as their personalities tend to be pretty well known. Within certain breeds there may be a propensity to have certain personality traits, but many dogs break that mold. You may be able to find a snuggly Shiba. I have one Shiba that is in the always wants to be in the room but just out of arms reach mold. However, I have another Shiba that still follows me around like a puppy and has for almost her entire life. As I type this my male Shiba is sleeping under our bed and doesn't wish to be touched.....and the female is under my feet at the computer.

• CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    I have a shiba and he wants attention he gets it, since its not aften and when he is willing to cuddle i am too. I also have a american staffordshire terrier aka pit bull, and let me tell you this dog is the clingiest dog i have ever met. Always wants attention, needs to be touching me if she cant see me or is in another room she whines to be near me. Somewhat annoying as ai prefer the more independant dog. I love the pits and how sweet they are but due to their clingyness i will not get another one. Pits are very well behaved and always willing to listen and very easy to train. there are plenty that need a home.
  • SayaSaya
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My shiba Quake (2-!/2 years old) has gotten more demonstrative since he was neutered 3-1/2 months ago. Before he used to lay on the floor in my office while I was on the computer. Now he lays under my chair while I am on the computer or he stands next to the chair so I can pet him. No matter where I am now he comes to me more often for petting than he used to before. He lived with me for two months prior to his neutering and was with my son for a little over a year a four hour drive away from my home. Maybe he knows that I am his forever Mom and that's why he's gotten so demonstrative. I adore my little fur angel Quake and maybe he just feels that!! :)
  • RikkaRikka
  • zandramezandrame
    @shibamistress, good point. I've been leaning towards a Kai as well with the hope that one could tolerate Kouda's attitude. But is that "emotional" aspect more in relation to people? It seems contrary to what folks say about their inter-dog skills.

Any companion for Kouda needs to be resilient enough to shrug off his offenses and not take it personally or retaliate.

I'm also curious about the Hokkaido in this regard. @Losech! :)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-05-28 19:05:09
  • koyukikoyuki
  • omgtainomgtain
  • TortieTortie
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • omgtainomgtain
  • BootzBootz
    Not sure about Kais but my friend owns an American Akita. The issue with Akitas is you have to make sure to socialize them a lot - same thing as shibas. But the difference is the size - a lot of people are intimidated by Akitas, since they are placed (by the public) in the same group as Pit bulls.
  • Post edited by tim3308 at 2014-11-19 16:25:26

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)