For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Trailer for a movie documentary on Australian Dingo.
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-03 10:34:25
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • koyukikoyuki
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • zandramezandrame
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • knnwangknnwang
    I have a friend whom is Australian, and I remember her telling us the Dingos’ would just kill livestock, just for the kill, one after another until all of your stock is dead. Not for food like most hunters, where after they kill one, it/they will leave the rest of the pride alone. She also said it was such a problem the government Animal Control would pay you cash for dingo scalps or dead foxes.

Australia is home to some of the most dangerous/aggressive species.

Found this website not sure if it is relevant http://www.burdekin.qld.gov.au/regulations-laws-and-forms/animal-management/other-animals/dingofox-bounty/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • koyukikoyuki
  • niki82niki82
    Dingoes do not kill just to kill. Apparently they enjoy the liver/kidneys and will take down a sheep and eat out the organs. Now I am not convinced they waste the rest of the sheep as more often then not they are disturbed during the kill and have to leave so they are not shot. Now the majority of the dogs killing the livestock in Australia are in fact feral dogs not dingos. Perhaps some of the feral dogs have some dingo DNA but barely. I have worked with dingo hybrids and pure blood dingos and they behave nothing like a typical domestic dog because they are not domestic. What they are however is amazing highly intelligent predators and if they keep killing them Australia's native wildlife will perish from the foxes feral cats and dogs killing them all. Australia needs the dingo. Now perhaps the dingo didn't originate in Australia but it has been here for around 5 thousand years and adjusted to the continent and is now (or was) in sync with Australia's environment. For all intents and purposes it is native. Some dingoes also live in family structures and when idiots kill the adults it leaves behind juveniles without the support and teachings that they need to survive correctly so are left to fend for themselves. Sometimes babies are found in dens/hollow trees by so called well meaning people who think they can raise them as a domestic dog.... Well once the dingo baby is a bit older and out of control it is either put down or dumped at the pound. There are excellent dingo preservations who will take a dingo in if their DNA is above 80% dingo and they do an excellent job preserving the breed and educating the public and as KOYUKI said they will let people home pups. These potential dingo parents are screened and must have correct sized pens with roofs as dingos are excellent climbers. Dingos are naturally suspicious of humans (as they should be) but they are so loyal and great companions if housed with someone who understands the dingo nature and doesn't try to treat them like a domestic dog. Sorry for the rant but I absolutely adore dingos and am a strong advocator of them. Australia needs to wake up and stop killing its native animals.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)