For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Goldendoodles do you agree with the breed?
  • ashley15ashley15
    Post edited by Calia at 2013-03-14 20:35:34
  • RikkaRikka
  • ashley15ashley15
    @Rikka I agree with you that it is a mutt. I do not plan on getting a goldendoodle. I personally do not find them appealing and would not want one. I do not understand why someone would want to pay A LOT of money on a dog that can not be registered or show them. I was very surprised that breeders would breed them together, to me it sounds more for money then anything else.

They are coming out with a lot of "poodle" breeds such as Schnauzers= Schnoodle which I think is new.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2013-03-14 20:04:57
  • I'm sorry for your loss :(

I have known several people with golden doodles. Regarding their personality in general they seemed to be more poodle like in temparment than like the golden. I personally do not agree with the breed because you just do not know what you are going to get. While they are a few generations in at this point you can't be sure of the personality. Of course all breeds vary in personality but you at least have a good idea of what you are going to get and what they need.
    Why spend so much money for a crap shot? Personally if I was thinking of a mixbreed I would head to the shelter. If I am willing to throw the dice with a dog I may as well save a life (and not pay the price of a pure breed!). Granted at the shelter the pups breed is usually a compete guess I don't think your any better off than when you purposely mixed breeds.
    But I must say my opinion is very biased as I do not like the standard poodle personality and I really don't like the "designer dog" craze.
  • EsperchanEsperchan
    Sorry about you goldie. :(
    Personally, i really dislike these "designer" breeds. I mean really. My grandma had a schnoodle who we ended up taking in, and his coat was impossible. He had to go to the groomers every few months or he got really matted and uncomfortable. The poodle coat is hard for the average person, with you either needing to be a good home groomer yourself or having the dough to dish out to the groomer. Breeding these are a bad idea to me. I would much rather have shelter dog. Also both the golden and the poodle have been misbred(especially the golden) so, even though mixes in general have better health, they don't sound like e good mix.
  • LosechLosech
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with an intentionally bred crossbreed or mutt as long as the breeder is doing it ethically and with the health and well-being of the dogs as a priority.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-03-14 19:56:24
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    Sorry for your loss. It's always tough to lose a loved pet, I still have the harness for a dog I lost almost ten years ago.

I don't necessarily hate the idea, but I'm not a fan of how it's turned into the "designer dog" nonsense that @RoninsMommy is referring to. I understand why someone might want one for the hypoallergenic qualities, but as previously stated, that's not even a sure thing and there are certainly purebreds who are hypoallergenic.

I don't know, I think it's ridiculous to spend that much money on a mixed breed dog (not that getting a dog should ever be about the cost) and it's also a little irresponsible to purposely breed them. That being said, we just adopted a mixed breed puppy from the local shelter (it's anyone's guess what she is...) and it will be interesting to see how her personality/health differs from our Shiba's.

She's already got one up on Kit in the health department since she apparently doesn't have a heart murmur or luxating patella lol. Both of which Kit had as a puppy, the heart murmur has gone away, the luxating patella, not so much. Personality wise, we're not so sure! She seems even sassier than the Shiba at her age, although she is likely a terrier mix!
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-03-14 21:15:57
  • amtiamti
    I'm very sorry about Max and that you couldn't go with him to the vet. I'm sure he felt loved and had a great life with your family.

The only goldendoodle I have met was a really nice dog owned by a relatively wealthy family. The mom was allergic to dander so they picked the GD. Great with kids, great temperament, well trained. He was really big and loved to swim in the pool. They took him to the groomers a lot as well as the lake to swim. I have nothing against the dogs, but more or less against those breeding to make a fast buck.

Some folks like that the dogs are expensive bc it is a status symbol, but personally, I sort of snicker behind their backs because they just paid a fortune for a mutt. But in the end, it is a matter of you loving your dog, regardless of breed, health or dollar paid.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-03-14 21:17:58
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-03-14 22:49:11
  • Well, all the ones I know - and I am SURROUNDED by them - are these big clumsy, stupid, and NOT hypoallergenic dogs that have to be shaved because the owners don't know that you still have to brush them. My cousin bought a puppy and got rid of it before it was one because it was tearing the house apart and jumping all over her kids. I know, that says more about her than the dog, but the ones around me are the same way. One hurls himself at the window every time he sees a dog. I don't get it because poodles and Goldens are smart, but these seem "off". I'm sure they are all H1s. I think the clumsiness comes from having conformation that is a train wreck. Poodles and Goldens have completely different frames so bred together make what I think is a really weird looking dog.
    So call me not a fan. There are probably perfectly nice ones out there, but I haven't met one yet. I think Goldens and Poodles are great. My one neighbor spent $5000 on her mutt - that's the one that tries to break the window.
  • RikkaRikka
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2013-03-14 22:50:54
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • DebDeb
    I am very sorry for your loss of Max.

My cousin went out and bought a golden doodle, don't know why. Their previous dog, who passed at an old age, was a sweet old yellow lab. The golden doodle is a good fellow, well socialized and quite a pleasant 'let me please you PLEASE' temperament. He would be a bit too much of a velcro dog for me. But still, he is a sweet boy. His coat is care intensive and tangles easily and quickly. Personally, I don't consider these mixes a breed, more of a nonsense fad with out of proportion hype. It all seems kind of silly to me for people to pay large for a mix and then brag about it like it's a status symbol. After all, it isn't a rarity, there are plenty of mixed breed dogs to be had at the shelter that really do need homes. I don't see the value in planning these mixed litters for the pet market other than being money driven.
    Post edited by Deb at 2013-03-14 23:09:59
  • ashley15ashley15
    Post edited by ashley15 at 2013-03-14 23:24:33
  • VickiePVickieP
    I'm questioning this. It is OK to intentionally hybridize a golden! So what do you guys think are acceptable crosses for the Shiba? I am sure you would get some sweet dogs from a Shiba Poodle mix......
  • RikkaRikka
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Shibas are perfect and don't need to be crossed with poodles or any other breed. Taking a double coated northern breed and crossing it with a tight coated poodle makes little sense. The only people who breed poodles to make "doodles" are trying to cash in on the designer dog craze.
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-03-15 16:30:05
  • We have quite a few Puggles around here too. They all showed up around the same time (fad!) and none of them look alike. They are not cute unfortunately. I don't hate the designer breeds, but I think people are extremely foolish to spend huge bucks on a mutt. They spout off on "hybrid vigor" which just isn't true. Breeding sickly a sickly dog to another sickly dog does not make the puppies immune to their parents bad genes. These dogs are flooding the shelters and many have health issues.
  • VickiePVickieP
    There is a breeder in my area doing Shiba mixes. Here is her listing:
    ".Shiba Inu x Miniature American Eskimo cross puppies. This
    cross is ADORABLE!! You get a similar look to
    a Shiba with a less independent personality.
    Eskimo's are smart, easy to train, love learning
    tricks - These traits bred with the Shiba Inu
    make amazing family companions. "
    Maybe she is doing it to better the breed....Personally I think these people are just out to make money. I don't agree with any mixed breeds. Adopt a shelter dog if you want a mix.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • ashley15ashley15
    There is already a variety of dogs out there. People use to breed dogs for work such as mice, hunting, and retrieving. People do not use many dogs for why they we bred years ago I think, only some.

Also I like the shibas indepented attitude, it makes then different from other dogs.
  • SayaSaya
  • amtiamti
    Mini Am Eskimo + shiba = one endlessly yapping hyper dog! Who cares about looks when you can't control your dog? I had a sammy, so I love the look, but don't care for Am Eskimos because I found them too yappy, too hyper... I guess I just never met a calm one!
  • VickiePVickieP
    I guess my point is I don't believe in intentionally mixing breeds. Sure there are people who love them and some are great dogs...but adopt form a shelter. Don't support a breeder who is doing designer dogs to make money off them :-)
    My guess is Golden retriever people and poodle people who show and do health testing feel the same way we do about mixing Shibas with other breeds!
  • GemmaGemma
    Breeders who used to breed just goldens and then bred GDs instead? Sounds alot like just jumping on the money bandwagon to me rather than caring about about the "breed"
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • DabishDabish
    Post edited by Dabish at 2014-03-26 10:15:05
  • I agree with the breed as a golden may not be perfect for everyone as a poodle may not be, but a golden doodle CAN be.

I thought the point of these "doodle" breeds was to create a hypoallergenic dog?

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-03-27 07:18:03
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • On the flip side, genetically speaking, aren't "mutts" healthier and less pre-disposed to certain ailments than pure-breds?

(I am not picking a side one way or another)
    Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-03-27 09:23:39
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Of course, same goes with socialization, etc. I meant strictly genetics/natural selection. A purebred from a good breeder has proper social skills and is healthy. A mutt at 8 weeks may be in a shelter and will lack these things. If breeders made "healthy mutts" (meaning good breeders decided to cross breed various dogs so in 6 generations you have a mutt from good lines), would that dog be "healthier" than a pure bred from the same lines?

I hope that makes sense?

• BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

Yes if the good breeder (who does health testings, etc) decided to make mutts, then yes they would be "healthier" but good breeders don't make mutts because it does not better any breed ;) so those don't exist!
  • DabishDabish
    The dog wouldn't be any more or any less healthy. If you think about it, all of our "pure breed" dogs started off as something else and were mixed at some point to perfect a purpose. The issue with mixed dogs now is it takes generations to perfect a dog, and the mixes being bred are being bred for profit, not some sort of use. People just want to make a quick buck.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • BootzBootz
    @sunyata

ahh ok :( Thanks for the clarification. This is a topic that is discussed MANY MANY times not only on this forum but with friends of mine. I keep getting confused x_x~!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)