For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba has a cold?
  • I haven't posted in awhile because I had a baby 5 months ago so life as I know it has been turned upside down! Anyway, I think Ginger has a cold. How can you tell if it is a cold vs. allergies? Her diet has not changed, no new treats... the weather is changing here in MD but other than that nothing new has been introduced to her. She will sneeze and it looks like her nose is runny. Her appetite is still great and she doesn't seem lethargic. In your experience, is this something I need to rush to the vet to or is it like a cold in humans that it runs its course? Or could it be seasonal allergies from the changing weather? Ginger has never had a cold or a history of allergies so any input would be great.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    My guess would be seasonal allergies. Does Ginger have a fever? Ragweed pollen is high now in NYC and I am suffering right now. I have'nt had a hayfever attack in years.
    犬竜
  • ArcticArctic
    You know, I was JUST searching through the forums for this same topic yesterday, so I'll throw in a "seconded" to this question. Sansa has been sneezing a good amount and occassionally pawing at her face although that's not too often. Her environment has not changed although I have started feeding her raw in the mornings, but that occurred before the sneezing (or did it?!).

I have a vet appointment on Friday but I've been stressing out about it. It has to be a cold or allergies, right? She's acting completely normal otherwise. Sansa and Ginger would appreciate your input!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @rsieracki I would guess seasonal allergies as well.

@arctic you have a puppy correct? When Kuma gets hurt, he sneezes here and there. I found this out when Kuma and my cousin accidentally ran into each other, Kuma sneezed about 10-15 times.
    Could it be your puppy is sneezing cus she's in pain from teething? Kuma would sneeze and paw at his face, then look like he's about to yack whenever he had a loose tooth.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-10-02 10:33:38
  • ArcticArctic
    Hmmm @kumaDUDE you may have just blown my mind. Yes, Sansa is 4 months old and now that you mention it she started teething and sneezing at basically the same time, about two weeks ago. She is starting to lose puppy teeth. Maybe this is the cause of the sneezing then? She sneezes equally inside and outside, so it's not anything in the house she could be allergic to, and although I have switched to raw food in the mornings I don't think she could be allergic to it. Hopefully it's just the teething!

Does any body else's Shiba ever do this?
  • XabiXabi
    That's a goog point by @kumaDUDE. I don't remember a whole lot of sneezing as my two were teething, but my boy definitely tried to paw at his nose/mouth during the process. I just saw him and his sister smack together nose to head last night which sent him into a small sneezing fit. I think that may be some source of the symptoms/behavior.
    X & I signature smaller
    Post edited by Xabi at 2012-10-03 13:45:19
  • philly_ypphilly_yp
    @kumadude i've definitely noticed that my finley sneezes when he bumps into something! i never knew other dogs did that, or that there was any correlation. wow
  • ArcticArctic
    Thanks for the input, guys. I hope that's what it is. I suppose the vet will shed more light on this on Friday. And sorry for hijacking the thread!
  • I was wondering why Oki has begun sneezing recently. I thought he had a cold as his nose is a little runny and he's been sleeping a lot recently. His appetite seems to be the same, and I'm thinking maybe his extra sleepiness is due to a number of reasons; he's teething, he's blowing his coat (does that make them tired somehow) and I've been at home all week so he's only been in his crate at night instead while I'm work and I'm taking him out and about with me a lot. I just don't know if it's worth taking him to the vet, it seems to be just a sniffle, but I wouldn't want it to develop into anything worse. Maybe it's just because he's teething like above? But he does have a slightly runny nose to go with it...and how do u tell if it's allergies or just a cold?
  • EthosEthos
    Akuma has begun sneezing recently. does't seem to be allergies as his environment hasn't changed. it seems that he has a cold. is there something I can give him to relieve the symptoms? are human anti allergy drugs like Benadryl suitable for dogs? I want to eliminate the possibility of allergies.
    Post edited by Ethos at 2014-02-22 13:13:37
  • TrishTrish
    @Ethos Oliver was given Benadryl when he got stung by a bee so they can definitely take them. However, I would consult a vet first and maybe set up an allergy test for Akuma.
  • I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask a random question which I think might be relevant.

with regards to Kumadude comment about puppies sneezing while teething, I was curious as to whether teething causes issues with their eyes?

My Pup Zeus often sneezes and rubs his nose However he's started getting gunk coming from his eyes and I was wondering if they could all be linked?

I have been looking through the forum and wonder if it might also be Conjunctivitis.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I would think a puppy sneezing from being hurt / colliding would be more caused by them like hitting their nose and aggravating it than just being in pain somewhere completely different and randomly sneezing as a reaction haha. But Ozzy seems to sometimes “sneeze” as communication. It’s not a real sneeze, just a sharp hff when he wants something.

Anyway, are the whites of his eyes red?? Ozzy had an eye infection in the summer, and his eyes were both a bit goopy, itchy, and his eyes were red. We took him to the vet that morning and were given some antibiotic gel for his eyes (which he hated lol). It seemed to all flare up after we changed food; we were trying to temporarily transition to a food that would be easier to travel with than raw. I’m not positive that the food played a role though. Maybe it weakened his immune system and he developed an infection... or maybe it was just coincidence. But I immediately stopped feeding that food and went back to the raw he was used to. A month later, I tried to feed the other food again and his eyes started getting slightly weepy. They weren’t red or like pussy this time, and I washed his eyes out with saline and held a warm rag to his eyes twice a day and it cleared up within days (also just tossed the rest of that food.

I would definitely take the pup to the vet just in case. Eye stuff freaks me out haha. If there is something wrong, damage can be done very quickly and be irreversible. It might just be allergies, related to teething, or something else aggravating his eyes. But I would still get to the bottom of the cause sooner rather than later, especially if his eyes are red and the eye discharge is the thicker green / yellow puss kind of stuff, not just watery.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-12-18 22:55:40
  • Hi Lilikoi,

Thank you for your advice.

Zeus had his monthly puppy check at the vet and we managed to wipe some of his eye gunk onto a tissue to show to the vet who wasn't very concerned. She just said it's probably just dust and if we are wiping his eyes anymore than once or twice a day to bring him back but he generally seems fine, Just need to sort out is midnight whining.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)