For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How to Keeping My Shiba Happy??
  • LizLiz
    Quincy is just over a year old. I'm wondering what others have found that make their Shibas happy. Quincy loves to play fetch and run, but I can do that with her all day long. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what other things an owner can do to make their Shiba happy that doesnt involve throwing a ball for 12 hours :)

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-05-13 16:07:26
  • janjan
    Bandit is about the same age as Quincy and he's hard to keep entertained. He'd like to play fetch for 5-10 minutes then he'd just want to chew on a rope until he gets bored and go after another toy. I've done toys rotation to keep him interested and I have some "exclusive" toys that he only gets when we can sit and supervise him.

Bandit also loves to chew so we have bully sticks, antler and himalayan cheese on rotation as well.

Finally, we started doing nose work with him two 3 weeks ago. He loves playing it this new game. I guess hunting for treats is pretty rewarding.
    See what Bandit's up to from my blog: Shorty&Me
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We did nose work and it also a good game for bonding.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Liz - We request that all new members provide a proper introduction before being given full access to the forum. Once you do so, you will be able to use the search function and find answers to commonly asked questions such as this one.

An introduction gives everyone a chance to get to know you and your situation and makes this forum more of a community. Some things that you might want to include in an introduction are your first name, the names of any pets that you have, what got you interested in Shibas, your experience with Shibas (and/or other dogs), what you like to do for fun, where you are located, etc.

Thanks!
    -Casey

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LizLiz
    Sure Casey. No problem. Thanks for letting me know how it works here
    Post edited by Liz at 2013-05-11 15:30:11
  • LizLiz
    Thanks for letting me know how it works here
  • LizLiz
    Thanks for letting me know how it works here
  • amtiamti
    I have an 11 month old. We went to our very first dog park yesterday and he had a blast! He was sniffing every butt and snout, and walking up to all the people. But of course, he pretty much ignored me. We had such a wonderful experience I will definitely take him again. I did go in the middle of a weekday so there weren't that many dogs, but he still got to play and meet at least 10 other dogs.

I also run around the living room with my dog. He brings me all sorts of his toys to play with. Sometimes, we'll play tug of war, then toss the toy. Other times that will lead to chase. We run around the coffee table and chairs like little kids. Once he pries the toy from me, then I chase him. I don't chase him that often though because I don't want him to run from me when we are outside, but he has such a good time running from or to me it is hard not to play with him.

He also loves puzzle toys. I'll stick a treat(s) in a toy and he will spend minutes trying to get it out. If he can't get it, he'll bring the toy to me for help. I also put little holes in empty water bottles and put a few treats in them. He goes to town with that. Anything that makes noise makes for a great toy. He'll pretty much chew on it until it is destroyed or the treats are gone. One the treats are gone, he'll usually bring me the toy for a refill or praise.
  • RikkaRikka
    Hmm... Happy is subjective, I think, but Sagan is most happy when he's "free." He's comfortable lounging on his bean-bag chair near the window and being a pseudo watch-dog, but he seems to be ecstatic when he's roaming fields, sniffing, and interacting with both humans and dogs alike. I take him to a 40 acre park a few times a week and the look on his face is no other; I can also tell he's fervent because he does bunny hops. ;) It's interesting because my original worry with bringing Sagan to this specific park was that he wouldn't come when called, or his recall would completely be thrown out the window. Turns out it's the complete opposite -- he often checks in, makes sure I'm in sight, and immediately looks at me when I call his name, even in the midst of dogs! I'm glad all that recall training as a puppy paid off... :P

We'll also be doing lure coursing in two months, so I'm positive almost any dog would have a blast there.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe seems most happy when he's able to run, explore, and when he's stalking things, like birds, cats, US!!
    He's also very happy when given a 'job', like his 'for fun' walk in agility training, or simply just learning a new trick.

Of course, he really loves socializing with other dogs. He loves daycare, and really enjoys playing with my friends Sibe, and our close neighbors Labs.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    All things mentioned above keep Nikko happy. He does his own thing mostly but loves roaming outdoors so walks, hikes, dog park, and playing with toys.

Another thing that I think keeps them mentally happy, less bored, and builds a stronger bond with you is training exercises throughout the day. Just 10-20 mins or every just a trick here or there once they have some down. They usually think it is quite fun and are pleased with themselves for knowing it and pleasing you (sometimes). Plus it pays off for you in the long run. That said if you haven't done a group training class that might be good as well.

There are many threads on other activities/sports to get your dog involved in like agility, luring, nose work, even swimming. Use the advanced search function if you are interested in any of those things I mentioned.
  • JuniJuni
    I went to a lecture/ short training session on activities for dogs today. I learned something new that I wanted to share. Tried to find an appropriate thread for it, this one came closest.
    Anyways, the trainer talked about enriching your dogs life by mimicking the activities they would have as wild dogs. For example hunting. And she discussed how hunting involves a lot of different activities like searching, tracking, stalking the animal then chasing it, bringing it down, killing it, eating, carrying the leftovers and then bury them somewhere for later. She described how dogs can get really stressed by chasing ball kind of games as that mimicks the most adrenalin-high part of the hunt, the chase. It made sense, I thought.
    She also said it takes 48 hours for all stress hormones to leave the body of the dog. So after something stressful (which doesn't have to be some negative incident of course) you should take it easy a while after otherwise you can expect that the dog can regress in training and react to things differently or more strongly than normal.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Sounds interesting. What kinds of activities did she mention we could do with our dogs that might mimic all of the activities (searching, tracking, stalking the animal then chasing it, bringing it down, killing it, eating, carrying the leftovers and then bury them somewhere for later) rather than fetch?
  • JuniJuni
    Well some of them I guess are quite obvious, doing nose work activities, playing tug of war, letting them dig and bury things.
    For the stalking part to bringing the animal down she only talked about how that is the part that requires most cooperation and communication between the pack of dogs.
    Juni and I actually sneak up on deers sometimes, I can see when she catch the scent of them and I let her track them until we see them and then we sit and watch for awhile.
    She also discussed natural behaviours at home, like how they enjoy making their bed so it's good to leave blankets and materials for them to do so and being able to sit on a lookout which may require furniture or things on different levels so they can climb and see the outside world.

Another thing I didn't know was that she said that dogs with separation anxieties should not be exercised hard or had a lot of activities before as in having them tired out because it makes the anxiety stronger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)