For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba-Pomeranian? [never mind, potential pandora's box]
  • Post edited by shinken_shiba_kaoru at 2013-03-14 11:01:06
  • MackersMackers
    If you don't like some of the qualities of the Pom breed what is it that interests you about them, that they're smaller and fluffy? While there are general breed traits that you could make base assumptions for with dogs, every dog is different. The best thing to do would be meet breeders and owners though I'd imagine you won't find many making mixes like that outside of backyard breeders
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Why would anyone mix a Shiba and Pomeranian? I don't agree with knowingly producing mixes without a real good basis for why that benefits the resulting mix.

Please don't support mixed dogs just as a goal to get a little bit of what you like from each, this is not the right mentality to take.

Out of 400+ breeds find the breed that has the characteristics that you are looking for and work with a reputable breeder or rescue organization from there.
  • Ah sorry. ^^;
  • Idk, I was thinking it would be cool to have a dog with the body of a Shiba, the fur of a Pomeranian, and attributes of both.

But I do sometimes come up with ideas that sound good on paper but aren't practical in real life.

Again, sorry. :(
  • MikoMiko
    Have you ever seen a wooly/long haired shiba?
    Their are a few member's with long haired shibas. Maybe that would interest you.

Although i don't think they are bred to be long haired, it just happens in some litters.
  • Ah, cool.
  • You will find Shiba mixes out there, typically as the result of accidental breedings. They are usually listed on the Petfinder adoptions under Shiba. (Or check the Pom listings.) Check the Petfinders listings for your area --maybe you will find a Shiba/Pom mix that way -- and you might be able to rescue a dog.
  • Eh, I'd be happy with just a Shiba, having a Pomeranian mix would be a plus though. But if I can't get one locally I would be happy with a regular Shiba because they suit my housing situation.

I would consider getting a Pomeranian to breed it with but no, if I don't think I could handle living with a pregnant woman or a child under 4 years old... I probably couldn't handle taking care of an animal family. And of course there is the hassle of giving the puppies I didn't want to good owners (and people who could handle Shibas at that)... and training the cute little Shiba-Pomeranian puppy I kept... yeah. Not a good idea for me to make one myself. LOL
  • amtiamti
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-03-14 10:49:14
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-03-14 12:19:11
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-03-14 13:33:04
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)