For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
"Yellowdog" in case you didn't know
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Some dogs need space

http://gulahund.se/

This was brought to my attention by a vet friend.
  • That's an interesting idea...I guess everyone has to be educated/alerted to it for it to be successful..
  • I like this. Unlike Bowser, Cuddles does not like to be approached when she is on a leash. I might post some flyers at some point, but I am going to start putting a yellow ribbon on Cuddles' leash.
  • TrishTrish
    I think this is a great idea. A few of my friends have posted this on facebook to educate more people about it.
  • HaloHalo
    This is a great idea. There have been times where this would have been helpful for my poodle when I walked her. She was terrified of large dogs, and some people would just let their going crazy dog near mine and she would panic.
    And some people who would rather keep their dogs intact might appreciate other people noticing the ribbon and keeping the other dogs away from their dog.
    Post edited by Halo at 2013-02-26 22:19:36
  • knnwangknnwang
    hahaha, the yellow post reminds me of a cadience from this link...

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/cadence/marching_cadence/yellow-bird-2.shtml

• amtiamti
    What a great idea if it catches on! Something like this will be helpful for Taisho who is afraid of big dogs and also resource guards me from other dogs who are friendly towards me. He is improving though. I posted it on my facebook too.
  • LosechLosech
    This idea has cycled through the dog community a few times. I think it's generally a good one, but I highly doubt that the "public" will ever catch on. And, I really would rather not label my dog for everyone to see. Yeah, it would be nice if they would just see the ribbon and know to leave me and Conker alone, but some people might take it the wrong way and think he's vicious or something.
    On another note, they might think I was "supporting our troops", since the yellow ribbon generally signifies that.

Anywho, Conker is for sure a "Yellow Ribbon Dog". I've just gotten used to having to intercept people before they even get close to him. It's actually made me pay better attention to people and what they are doing. I generally prefer to just tune everybody out since I really do not enjoy being out around strangers much (funny coincidence right there). Dog people are fine, but everyone else... Meh.
  • I have seen alot of posts on facebook about this from different rescues and pounds in my area. They seem to be promoting it more for injured or recovering dogs.

here is the one I have been seeing around http://theyellowdogproject.com/The_Yellow_Dog_Project/Home.html

This is the facebook page for the yellow ribbon group https://www.facebook.com/YellowdogSomedogsneedspace

Here is an article that had the other fliers I have seen http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/yellow-ribbon-leash-dogs-campaign
  • XabiXabi
    @Losech I'm with you on almost all counts. I should have rethought the distinctively adorable shiba appearance with my systemic misanthropy. I'm in the same boat with Xabi. He's not exactly aggressive, but he is kind of touchy and a prude about manners. I was walking out my front door yesterday (we just had a second huge snowfall in Kansas City) and this huge white lab mix comes bounding down the neighborhood sidewalk off leash. As I was closing the door I seized as I noticed my boy tensing up. I didn't know what was going on, because it appeared like a large dog was terrorizing the neighborhood.

The dog wasn't growling or being outwardly aggressive. In fact, I think it wanted to play, but I didn't recognize it at all and my boy wasn't interested in any attention from him at the time. Once the owner of this strange dog showed up about twenty yards behind him I was more at ease. She put him on a leash when she saw the nervousness from me and my dog. Sure it was cute in retrospect, but I was also pretty outraged by this woman's cavalier attitude with regards to respect of other people's'/dog's personal space. No amount of yellow ribbon would have remedied that situation.
    X & I signature smaller
  • RikkaRikka
    I like it. It's awesome that the daycare I bring Sagan to provides yellow ribbons for those who need it in a bin at the front. They also put up a sign signifying for what it means, which criteria it falls under, etc. Although I do agree that the general public will probably not catch on and think nothing of a ribbon attached to a leash.

As a rule of thumb, I leave all dogs alone. I also purposely avoid other dogs while walking Sagan by crossing the street when I see another dog owner approaching my way.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • BootzBootz
    The reason why @kumaDUDE made this thread is to educate us on the yellow ribbons so we learn to respect the owners that do use it.

But as @Losech says the public will probably not catch on.

I live in a townhouse complex and there were MANY times where I see owners and their dog walk toward me because they saw Jackie and Bootz. I PURPOSELY walk the other way...yet the owner couldn't take a clue and still followed me. In the end Jackie growl/barked which scared the dog and owner away.

• I agree that people that don't care will not pay attention.

One time I took Toby to petsmart to get a new harness (that is the usually the only time I take him there), there were only 3 other people in the store and only one with another dog so I felt comfortable taking him in. An associate was helping me and the man approached with his little male dog (maybe 10lbs). I noticed him approaching and said my dog does not like other male dogs and stood between Toby and them. I put Toby in a sit and he did not make a sound but the man just said my dog wants to say hi it will not be a problem letting the leash get longer, I am glad the clerk picked up the mans dog and made him leave before I said more. Toby has never lunged at another dog but he does get very vocal around males so I don't want to take a chance. If someone tells you to keep your dog away from theirs why would you not listen? Found out it was not a clerk helping me but one of there trainers and she was impressed with the fact that I said something and upset with the other owner. Now if he needs something that needs to be tried on or just to see if he shows interest in it I just call her and we set up a time and he gets the training area to himself to shop so I don't have to go back an forth returning things if they don't fit.

Yellow ribbon or verbal notice won't stop some people.
  • unfortunately I think it's true, that concscientious people are probably already cautious about dog interactions (I always ask owners before allowing interaction) and all the clueless people will not care/pay attention anyway... :(

But I am glad to know what that means and will share with whoever I can...
  • RikkaRikka
    Oh maaaaaan, if I received quarters every time someone told me, "my dog wants to say hi!", "my dog NEEDS to sniff every dog", or "my dog is friendly", I'd probably be well-off. Or have a lot of money. Or something. XP

Anyways, I normally tell them that it doesn't matter and (try to) walk away. Sagan isn't particularly aggressive or anything, but he's certainly leash-reactive and meeting other dogs while still being on-leash is something I vehemently want to stop. Not to mention my trainer pounded it into us when I attended classes that we should always try to avoid meeting other dogs while they're on a leash. So, I guess that stuck with me.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • sunyatasunyata
    Other owner: "It is okay, my dog is friendly" (as their off leash rude dog charges at my two)
    Me: "That is nice. My dogs are NOT friendly. Please control your dog, or I will."

It drives me nuts that people are so rude and think that it is fine for them (and their dogs) to invade B&N's (and MY) space like that. And I appreciate the sentiment behind the yellow ribbon (this has been going around for a couple of years now), but people do not care nor do they pay attention. Rude people (and dogs) will be rude no matter what.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Very true, I didn't know of this, nor have I seen anyone doing it in NorCal or SoCal. But as most owners I know, I tend to just either veer away, or go off to the side and make room.
    Luckily haven't had any bad situations the year we've had Kuma, knock on wood, hopefully never will.
  • Then the people get angry and say your dog is a beast because they didn't listen and can't read a dog's signals. I can't stand these people. I will ask people to not let their dog bum rush my dog and they will let their flexi out as far as it will go so their ill-mannered dog can jump on mine. And these dogs ALWAYS put a paw over his shoulders first thing. That's like a stranger coming up and putting you in a headlock and slobbering in your ear. Then they act all shocked when my dog snaps at theirs.
    I have no idea why so many dogs have zero clue about manners. I guess they were taken away from their mothers too young.
  • If you said "my dog is not friendly", a lot of these clueless people will think if your dog is not friendly with everyone it meets, it should be locked up in closet and never be out in public.

I have started trying something else. If I see someone who is so clueless to let their dogs rushing into my dog's face and yell "my dog is friendly", I shout back and say "just because I am friendly does not mean I can grope you. My dog does not enjoy strange rude dog greeting him.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Hahahaha @sandrat888 awesome! Wonder if any single men out there could use that line.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)