For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Longest you've had to wait for your Shiba puppy
  • tatonkatatonka
  • tatonkatatonka
  • I'm waiting right now. Less than a week to go! Of course, if there is no girl, I will have to wait until next year.
    I'm getting her from a friend, but this is her first litter in a year.
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    I waited 6 months for Kishi.
  • 8 months
  • MackersMackers
    9 months and counting
  • GatsuGatsu
    Contacted Guts' breeder, found out she had 1 more Shiba left. Went and picked him up in that week. Same with Gidget, found out the breeder had 1 shiba left, I went to pick her up that week.

I have no patience, and looked for Credible breeders who still had shiba pups. But because of this I didn't get to have a shiba at 8 weeks, so I missed that really cute time period. Also I got lucky, since shibas tend to go fast, and breeder seem to only breed at certain times of the year.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2013-01-31 10:49:23
  • RikkaRikka
  • tatonkatatonka
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-01-31 11:54:31
  • BootzBootz
    @Gatsu,

My bf was impatient as well and we got Bootz from a mill. Contacted breeder on 8/15/11. Shipped out and arrived on 8/19/11. She was 10-11 weeks by then. Although in the future I want a 2nd shiba from a reputable breeder....I don't mind waiting until 10-11 weeks. As @notoriousscrat said, the cute puppy period is overhyped. Bootz came to us very social and housetrained. Which I am suprised now since she was from a mill o_o. But *knock on wood* we haven't hit the 2 year mark yet.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2013-01-31 12:00:48
  • I was soooo lucky. Reached out to a handful of breeders recommended by this board, and one of them had a new litter and had 2 girls available. I originally wanted a boy, but couldn't pass up the opportunity of bringing home a puppy so soon. We went and saw her when she was 4 weeks old, and then picked her up a month after that. It was about a 6 week wait from beginning to end!
  • ArcticArctic
    I started searching for a breeder, and around 3 weeks later I came into contact with the one I went with. We had several long conversations, and on the third phone call she mentioned that she had a red female who was available since the original owner-to-be had backed out, but didn't want me to sell me on her since she knew that wasn't what I had in mind.

I had her a week and a half later :) Originally wanted a black and tan male (that was my "dream" dog) but of course now I can't imagine anything else. I am a very inpatient person, so I think I really lucked out.
  • Nood1esNood1es
    Was searching for about 2-3 weeks. Got in contact with the breeder, she didn't have a litter, til 2 weeks ago. So gotta wait for the little guy to reach 8 weeks. In total, it'll be probably 11 weeks?
  • About five months for us. First contacted/met with the breeder in September, puppy was born in November, brought her home in January.

Also, we were really lucky to get a puppy out of that litter. There was someone ahead of us who ended up not being able to take the puppy, so we got her!
  • GemmaGemma
    Jeez, by the look of things I was really lucky with Laika!

We went to a reputable breeder off the Kennel Club's "Assured Breeder Scheme" who lived within 45 minutes of me.

She didn't have a "waiting list" as such, she just kept people who were interested up to date with possible litters and then you couldn't "bagsy" one until you'd visited and chosen the one you wanted. (Exceptions to the visit for those who lived ages away)

When I contacted her she had just had a pregnancy confirmed and that was in early September and we went to pick her up Mid December.

So I was quite lucky with the short wait and short distance.

I think I want a Samoyed next (but not for a year or more) and I'm debating whether to contact breeders now so that if I do decide to get one I will be aware of the litters due and can get one pretty speedy :)
  • RikkaRikka
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka,

Just fly there, pick a puppy, fly back with it as carry on!

i love Samoyed puppies!! :( Thanks to the Sandra Bullock movie "the proposal"
    But they are huge full grown.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Tre26Tre26
  • tatonkatatonka
  • BootzBootz
    @Tatonka, or in your case, they can screw YOU up lol.
  • I was really lucky, I knew I wanted a Shiba but was kind of leaning towards trying to find an red adult male to adopt so I started looking on Craigslist. I think about 3 days into my search a listing came up for a 12-week old red female puppy in Queens. I contacted them and it was sad, they loved her soooo much but realized after buying her they didn't have the time to take care of her. I think in was about a week after I started talking to them that I went to meet her but at that point they were still interviewing people, but they decided on us and I think it was a week or two after that she came to live with us. We were super lucky because for the $200 adopt fee she came with everything (crate, toys, food) and already had all her puppy shots and everything. I'm pretty sure she's a mill dog but she's been very healthy so far except that she's skinny (but her vet told us she's fine, just skinny).
    Post edited by KitsuneSakakino at 2013-02-02 10:09:06
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • Started contacting breeders in April 2009.

Made contact with Kari-On Shibas on 4/8/2012.

Took Kyoto home on 5/15/2012. :)
    Post edited by spartanvi at 2013-02-20 02:44:02
  • tatonkatatonka
  • amtiamti
    Kaji was a gift, and Taisho was a slept-on-it rescue, so really no time. My first dog with my husband was a Samoyed. She was a present also. I love Sammys but wanted a smaller dog this time, and one that reminded me of Japan. My Sammy's name was Sasha and she passed away over 13 years ago and I still miss her. She was a really sweet dog and very easy to keep clean, other than the fur everywhere!
  • KateLP820KateLP820
    Hi I'm currently talking to a breeder (have been for almost a month) I have been searching for a shiba inu since november. I'm getting a little frustrated because I'm not sure if I have been approved by this breeder. I want the puppy so much and I'm so excited I just have not gotten the ok yet...The puppy is around 3 weeks old. If any one has any advice that would be great. Please PM me for more details - thanks

hopeful owner :)
  • ArcticArctic
    Off topic, but have I mentioned how much I love the name Panko for your pup?!
  • comihacomiha
    Met my breeder at the end of July 2012; picking up my boy (name TBD) over Easter weekend. 8 months and well worth it!
  • KateLP820KateLP820
    @lemonchicken that is what the breeder is trying to decide. She wants to keep one and there are only 2
  • DabishDabish
    One year and still waiting...the breeder I decided on became significantly less helpful and interested in me after I felt comfortable enough to put down a $250 deposit. But I'll have none of that shady business, so I ate the deposit and am in the process of searching for a breeder all over again...I'm generally not a very patient person so this is difficult for me
    -_- There's a DC shiba inu rescue though, and even though he's not a puppy, there's a dog named Bear on there who is just really, really cute who I applied to adopt
  • janjan
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)