For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Why do people not like black dog very much or think they aren't "cute" or whatever?
  • HaloHalo
    My little shiba I am getting is a black and tan. I think she is so adorable with her little white paws, but the breeder told me nobody wanted her because she was black. My boyfriend too, was even judgmental against her coloration and wanted to wait and see if guy had any other puppies later on this year that weren't black. She has a wonderful friendly happy personality. But people couldn't get past her looks. So sad. But if someone bought her, well, she wouldn't be coming home to me =) Shelters say they have tons of black dogs they have to euthanize because nobody wants them. I don't understand why they don't think they are cute? or look at their personality and get past the dog's looks? We don't judge our friends by how they look, why should we with our pets?
  • LosechLosech
    I love, and prefer, black and darker colored dogs. Have two myself. However, I do not let color decide if I will get a particular dog or not.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-01-24 09:57:23
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I think Black and Tans are beautiful.

I think the reason I didn't go that route was two fold 1) we had a choice between a male seasame and a female black and tan -- the female was very very shy compared to her brother so we went with her brother and 2) may not be right, but I have the thought process that in Florida that black coats make summer harder for the dog to be outside.
  • mbiblembible
  • ArcticArctic
    LOL what a great picture.

I originally wanted a black and tan. I fell in love with them and I think they're absolutely BEAUTIFUL, not that red Shibas aren't. But like everyone else says, I didn't let color cloud my judgement or my breeder's advice, so I ended up with a red girl instead of a black and tan boy, which was my original "concept dog," if that makes sense.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Oh I think it is all personally preference. Some people like the creamies, some the red, I secretly drool over all of the photos of sesames on here. I could only get one at a time so I had to choose. My bf LOVES the black and tans and I think you will find many many on here that do too! I know black cats pile up at the shelters because of superstitions but maybe one reason for black dogs is people are worried about the hair showing up. Ha! It is going to show up everywhere any color it is though! Also I live in the south and @redcattoo's comment about the heat is something I would have to consider for my pets comfort. You also have to be careful with creamies in the sun though because they more easily burn and get cancer.
  • CaliaCalia
  • I have heard one theory is that black dogs (or at least dogs with black faces) are more difficult to "read".

People can not as readily pick up their expressions, what their eyes are saying etc...Maybe that's why shelter dogs don't grab peoples hearts as quickly? I don't know..

I've never heard people actively saying they don't like them though...

I've never heard that about B&T's....B&T's are very popular here in Hawaii...
  • I think the few people who are familiar with Shiba's only know of the reds and possibly the red sesame (unless they are an owner or a breeder). I took my black and tan pup to Petland and one lady asked me if my dog was a Shiba. I told her yes and she was absolutley shocked that they came in black and tan. The shiba is not as well known as the more common breeds so I think people always just expect the red, foxy dog since it is the more common color. I have had lots of comments on how my dog must be mixed with something even after repeatedly telling them he is pure bred Shiba. I really dont care if people think he is mixed or what they think. I love my dog and that is all that matters. I think all colors of Shiba's are beautiful. @Halo I am really suprised that no one wanted the little black and tan girl because when I was looking for a black and tan it was really hard to find one and alot of breeders had waiting lists for black and tan puppies.
  • knnwangknnwang
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-01-24 12:10:39
  • HaloHalo
    I love all the shiba colors. They all have their own unique look to them. I love all the pictures you guys posted! =) will be posting some pics of my new baby when i get her in 2 weeks. My last dog was also black. My boyfriend also made some comment about it looking like a mini-husky, lol. I don't think they look like huskies at all. You don't see huskies that are black and tan.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @rikka is correct, some Asian cultures view black to be evil/bad luck... But I don't care, if I like the dog and tey like me, color won't stop me from having them.
  • HaloHalo
    @chantel, breeder had several black and tan puppies that were also male. 3 born in one liter. She was from a previous litter, and the breeder said the only people who wanted the black and tan wanted a male, and not her. Her siblings sold immediately, within a week of being born. They were the red colored puppies.
    (of course they weren't taken right away, lol, but they were paid for and claimed already)
    Post edited by Halo at 2013-01-24 12:24:08
  • RikkaRikka
  • LosechLosech
    @Halo I have seen several black and tan huskies, Siberians, Alaskans, and mixes. That coloration is pretty rare in Siberians, but it does exist, and looks really awesome.

I do not think Shibas look like huskies at all, nor foxes. I think they bear a stronger resemblance to Dingoes and Singers, but few people here seem to even know what those are. Kinda sad really.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-01-24 12:28:00
  • HaloHalo
    i think the shiba/husky hybrids are very weird looking. I don't know why people do that. They turn 2 beautiful dog breeds into a strange looking mutt.
  • BootzBootz
    As @Calia and @ Rikka mentioned. Black dogs are bad luck in different cultures. Jackie was all black with white paws (worst of the worst in Asian culture) but my mom overlooked it and took her in. She outgrew the white paws...but now she's getting gray hair XD.

• HaloHalo
    I can't imagine believing my black puppy will bring me any bad luck, lol. I guess its what country and cultures people have been brought up in. I know in some countries they eat dogs...*shudders*...just nasty. I can't imagine eating my best friend/buddy.
  • SayaSaya
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • HaloHalo
    @saya. Your dog is really pretty! But all shibas are pretty! I think they are so cute, even as adults. I love their smiles!
    @curlytails. I think you are right about the shibas not being as over looked as an all black dog would be. It is hard to photograph an all black dog, but with the right lighting, it is possible, and I have gotten some very nice pictures of my all black toy poodle.

• I think its down right idiotic to fear a dog because they are black. Booooooo!!! Talk about ditzy-dur. And i've also heard that in generalization of most breeds, black and white dogs are more friendly. Something to do with the genes or something. While i beleive this is also untrue, all dogs will be nice if your are nice to them(except some sad cases) at least it isn't prejudice and makes a friendly thought instead. Couldn't more people think thinigs like that? Or get a brain. That's good too.
  • jennajenna
  • CaliaCalia
  • jennajenna
  • @Shibamistress - side note - Here in Hawaii it's a long standing joke about "black dog"...da bess kine fo eat....and I guess jokes come from somewhere -

It is disturbing to people who don't live here, but people joke about it all the time and tease you if you have a black dog to keep an eye on it while it's young.... :)

• HaloHalo
    @ Notoriousscrat
    What is CERF and OFA?
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    I love all Shiba's, any color. But I secretly drool over the black and tans! I think they are so AWESOME!! I love the coloring in those little guys! I have a red whom I love to bits but if there happened to be a black and tan in my liter, depending on personality of course, I might have a black and tan instead. I just think its a personal preference but like everybody said, personality is key, no matter the color. All Shibas are BEAUTIFUL!!
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    @Saya - Saya IS gorgeous!! LOVE her coloring ;)
  • Post edited by dmarie485 at 2013-01-24 17:42:53
  • My first shiba was red, and Kimura is red, too, but from the moment I first saw them, the black and tan were always my favourite. I love their eyebrows. I think they're stunning!
  • I personally love black dogs and I think Black and Tan shiba's are as good looking, if not better then Red.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • I love Black and Tan too! that was my first choice. Was planning to get a B&T Male Shiba....(not fair to Butter for me to make such statement now....cuz she is Red Female)...

I picked Butter because her personality is more outgoing and active as a puppy vs. the B&T ones, also because she is so darn cute!

@Saya, She is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish i could meet someone like her when i get my 2nd dog
    Post edited by djiksong at 2013-01-25 18:31:54
  • motmot
    Here in Japan, Black and Tan is very popular color.(My shiba is B&T too).
    People think B&T is very stylish coloring.

Red is symbolic coloring of NKs, but other colorings becoms much popular too!
    Post edited by mot at 2013-01-25 21:36:22
  • amtiamti
    Wow, I had no idea of all this controversy regarding black dogs. Black labs are very popular in Texas. I love B&T shibas and would love to own one one day. When I lived in Japan, reds and sesames were very common. I don't recall seeing any B&T shibas, but it could be because I didn't know they came in those colors. It sure would help keep my wardrobe looking nicer if I had a black dog! We do have a black male cat. We have heard that shelters have numerous black cats up for adoption. People don't like black cats, I guess. We've had five cats total and two were black males. They had the best personalities and were wonderful kitties. One vet said he never met a black male cat that didn't have a great personality. I wish people would give them a chance. I know when our kitties go, we'll probably rescue another blackie just because they are so beautiful and we've had such great luck with them being wonderful souls.
  • i love the black shibas too! (i have a red one), but i think most people just think the red ones are the standard color, and decide to go with them since they are what shibas look like in their minds. i should be picking up a black shiba in the coming year, prolly over the summer when i'm done with undergrad.

in general, we should love them all the same, whether theyre black white red sesame. all of them are just so adorable!
  • Our first Shiba was sesame, and our second was red, and now the one I currently have is black and tan. I honestly could care less about what color they are as long as they have a healthy coat, and the dog has a good personality. If I were to buy a puppy I would probably go back to the breeder I got my first dog from because she was just so amazing and I'd want something from the same blood line. Which would mean I would probably end up with a sesame or red shiba as that is all the breeder has.
  • aykayk
    Just to add a different angle to this, I've read somewhere that black/tan dogs with the eyespots above the eyes are said to be able to see things in the supernatural realm. ie. ghosts and such.
  • RikkaRikka
  • BootzBootz
    @ayk,

If you want to start on that topic....in Asian culture it's ALL dogs, not just Black and Tan.
  • zandramezandrame
    But, but... black & tan shiba's aren't even black! They've got all that tan and white in there. And if you look at them in the light, you'll see the cool banding on the guard hairs of the underlying redish color under the black. ;)
  • jennajenna
  • KentaKenta
  • RikkaRikka
  • Could there be a regional thing? A friend of mine who lived in Hokkaido for a year or two mentioned that while she saw a lot of shibas, almost all of them were black and tan so it was an adjustment when she moved back here.

Out of curiosity, for the rest of you who own b&t shibas, are they generally more muscular than the reds you've seen? All the black and tans I've met are noticeably more muscular, but I think they are also all from a line coming out of a specific kennel in Japan so it could just be that line.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)