For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Thinking of a Husky
  • ncieloncielo
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • CaliaCalia
  • emmyemmy
    When I got my shiba we lived with a roommate who had a husky. Their play styles were very similar, but the husky was kind of bossy and rude to the shiba. The shiba didn't always want to play, and the husky did. It was a smaller husky, so size wasn't a huge issue...it was almost always the shiba chasing the husky when he did want to play....when he didn't then there would be snarkiness. That husky was also quite calm and dainty, so some of the larger more fiesty huskies could be a different story.

I would say that a husky and a shiba isn't a poor idea in and of itself....just like getting another shiba, you have to make sure you choose wisely, introduce them properly, and make sure that they have positive interactions to avoid ugliness.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    If you have cats then Siberian Husky's will most likely go after them, some when raised around cats will be fine with them and some will not. They have a very high prey drive. Huskies are harder to train and tend to have a mind of their own. They have a "what's in it for me?" type attitude. They are not looking to please you and they will ignore you and walk away if they dont feel like dealing with you. They are extremely stubborn. You need a 6 foot fence, they will jump or climb your fence to get out. They are great climbers and excellent escape artists! They dig too, so if you have a beautiful yard you might end up with a few holes. Huskies should NEVER be trusted off leash, they are runners and they will run away at any opertunity. They are "talkers" or from what I have experienced "screamers". They have ALOT of energy and they need lots of room to run. If they dont get enough exercise they will become very destructive. I used to have one and he was absolutely horrible, but that does not mean yours will be. I have done ALOT of research on that breed and got one and it was a huge mistake. Mine was poorly bred and aggressive. After what I experienced with that breed I will NEVER have one again. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE BREED, THEY ARE DEFINITLY NOT A BREED FOR EVERYONE, THEY REQUIRE ALOT OF TRAINING AND THEY CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT.Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • LaRen,
    you do know you just described Shiba's, right?

:)
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I think there is a difference however between a 10 pound out of control dog and a 65 pound out of control dog.

Shiba's might have alot of energy but I doubt that they have more energy than a Siberian Husky, I doubt they are as loud too.

Cats have a better chance with a Shiba than they do with a Siberian Husky.Lauren

Post edited by LaRen616 at 2010-12-28 15:54:05
  • ncieloncielo
  • IchigoIchigo
    hahhaa sounds like laren talked ncielo out of a huskie! :P
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Dont get me wrong, people have/love Siberian Huskys for a reason, I think that they are absolutely one of the most beautiful dog breeds in the world but I absolutely do not like their temperments and behavior. I think alot of people get Siberian Husky's without doing their research and they end up with an aggressive and out of control dog. Siberian Huskys are one of the top 10 most aggressive dog breeds and I witnessed it not once but several times. There are alot of Siberian Husky BYB's so there are alot of poorly bred Huskys in the world and that is why they are on the list of most aggressive breeds.

I hope I did not ruin your opinion of the Husky breed, I just wanted you to know that they can be a serious problem. I truly do believe if you went through a extremely reputable breeder you might end up with a great dog but even then they will most likely still be diggers, runners, escape artists, destroyers, talkers and very stubborn.Lauren

• lindsaytlindsayt
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Lindsayt~ You are absolutely correct. Each dog is an individual and may be different than the breed standard. But the standard is there for a reason, it is a guidline of how the dog should look, how their temperment should be and how they should behave. Of course not every dog is the standard. The standard does not state that the Siberian Husky breed is aggressive, in fact it states that they are very friendly dogs. But they are labeled as one of the top 10 most aggressive breeds. I have witnessed their aggression. Of course, not all of them are aggressive, but after meeting several and seeing that the majority of them were aggressive was rather alarming to me.

I also forgot to mention that they can be very difficult to housebreak. I thought I was doing something wrong but I read that it is actually common to have problems potty training them.Lauren

• CaliaCalia
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    We commented at the same time. I am aware that the standard does not say that they are aggressive, but I have met alot of aggressive Huskys. Some were BYB's but some were from reputable breeders.Lauren

• INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • CaliaCalia
  • Kuma just turned 1yr. this month and my daughter is looking to get two Huskies. We have raised a Husky and Akita mix together before, but my daughter has moved to Missouri and we are in Oklahoma, so when she gets the pups I plan to take Kuma to visit as soon as she gets them and then go visit as often as possible to socialize the dogs. Kuma goes to daycamp every week and plays with the big dogs when he goes and there has been a Husky in his group before. I know long distance socialization is going to be difficult, any suggestions? The Huskies will be coming to visit us also and I would really like to do everything possible to try to get them to know each other. ALSO my daughter hasn't found a breeder yet....any suggestions on a responsible breeder of Huskies?
  • SayaSaya
  • jelliesjellies
    If you want to get a husky as senior calming company, perhaps for when you are out, don't do it! they are such amazing animals but really need human company and exciting tasks all day.
    As I write this it is 7am and the most beautiful 1yo husky next door is softly howling because the dog sitter left for her job. He will howl and sleep on and off till she comes back for lunch walk, and again until she comes back for the evening. Their backyard looks like the front entrance to a dragons den with bones and toy carcasses scattered around. Their back door has had the laminate stripped off it, there are giant holes in their garden. I'm told everything in the house has been chewed to a nub. When he walks he has to be kept away from the off leash areas because his play style is too much (Shiba scaled up). He escaped once and was found miles away with a broken leg. His owners sent him away for doggy boot camp for 3 weeks because they ran out of ideas. I'd do anything for that dog but it would have to be priority #1, above all other things, until he was older.
    because walking a Shiba often creates husky chat, once every few weeks someone says how they once had one what a mistake they made (because they did not have the focus necessary).
  • SayaSaya
  • CaliaCalia
  • jelliesjellies
    @Saya
    OP said: "just an older dog because their senior calmness is something me and my fiancee need in our home right now."

so I was saying, well, a husky needs a lot of attention calm isn't the word I associate with them.

The owner of the howling husky next door isn't doing too good but for most other dogs, what they are doing would be fine: he gets a decent amount of exercise I'm talking 3 walks a day, one of them is a run. But he is clearly not coping with the hours left otherwise alone. He desperately wants to hang around with people, that's my impression at least from his yodelling. I think the dog sitter is thinking a thigh bone or three will keep him busy - but his priority seems to be company. Anyway it isn't my problem to solve.
  • SayaSaya
  • jelliesjellies
    argh that gets me I wouldn't have replied if I saw the original topic was so old! sorry.
  • SayaSaya
  • Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Kuma and I left work that evening and went straight to dog school where he passed his Novice I test. YEA! Then last night was Halloween so this is the first chance I have had.

@Saya I posted here after searching the threads. I wanted to find someone who had Shibas and Huskies or experience with getting them together. I read the forum all the time and there is so much great advice. If I posted in the wrong place, sorry for that. If there was a better place I would love to read it. Main concern is any help with socialization. The breeder comment was an afterthought. My daughter is doing extensive research on that. You are correct my daughter is the one getting the Huskies, two of them, one male and one female. She has already raised two (in Oklahoma) who are now deceased. She is planning on puppy classes for sure. She did classes with her first pair. She has already found a dog camp/boarding close to her work which she has visited and also talked with a Malamute owner who has been going there for 3 years. She will do her socialization in Missouri. Since I am in Oklahoma we are wanting to do everything we can to help Kuma and her two Huskies get along, if possible.

@Calia I saw you had posted back in 2010 and was hoping you might have some suggestions. My daughter knows Huskies very well having raised two and actually one lived with me for awhile and was the alpha to my Akita mix(both deceased) So I am aware of their personality too. Yes, she would never consider just getting one. When she still lived in Oklahoma and just had one left she would bring him to my house everyday before work so he could play with my Akita mix. My daughter is fortunate in that she has a very good job, with flexable hours and also can work from home several days a week. And as stated above she has already located a good dog camp. We knew the play style was similiar and the concern you mentioned is ours. We will be very careful as you said. We are going to get them together as much as possible while the puppies are small and hope that will help. Kuma and I are planning on going to visit as soon as she gets the puppies and as often as possible. She will then come here. Kuma has had several dogs at his house and it has been ok so far. I have two other daughters who both have dogs. One daughter is in the same office as I am and her Chihuahua goes to work with her and Kuma comes with me so they are together all the time. The Chihuahua was approximately 6 months old when we got Kuma and we were very concerned about them being together. It has worked out great. The Chihuahua is feisty and will grab Kuma's leg and sweep him and knock him down. Again, because of size we would never leave them unattended. Other daughter lives in OK City and brings her dog when she comes to visit and her dog doesn't want to play with Kuma, but Kuma will try to get him to play and has never become aggressive with him. Also some of the neighbors who we see walking their dogs while we are out walking will come up to our fence when we are outside and Kuma seems ok with that. Kuma does go to dog camp once a week, which has been wonderful for him. He does play with the big dogs and even in puppy class he only wanted to play with the bigger puppies. Kuma is very reserved around new people and places, so he does have to warm up to them.... We are both just concerned, size...distance...

@jellies, sorry, I guess I should have said something about this being an old post. I just didn't find anything newer. Also so sorry you are having to witness that poor Husky. That is so sad.

This is really long! If you have anymore suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all comments.
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-07 09:11:43
  • CaliaCalia
  • CaliaCalia
  • RikkaRikka
  • ZinjaZinja
    ^^ I agree. Someone I knew had two austraian shepards. They then got a Siberian Husky to "protect" the Aussies. I told her that was not a good idea and will not not happen.

What happened completely made me pissed... I got a call from them saying their husky was chewing up the furniture and carpet a year after I stopped talking to them. I told them from the beginning that their dog needed a ton of exercise, which I warned them they couldn't give. They ended up trying to sell him on CL... SMH.
  • CaliaCalia
  • ZinjaZinja
    She also believed the husky was going to be a big dog. I had my Akita and she kept saying, "you see that, Blue? You're going to be as big as Ninja!" Blue was just shy of 55lbs.
  • CaliaCalia
  • ZinjaZinja
    Yeah, my manager thought huskies were bigger than malamutes... I called up petsmart to prove her wrong but they thought the same... This was before we all had smart phones :)
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka, omg they are CUTE PUPPIES. Unfortunately I have a rule against dogs that are too big for me to handle :( My cousins golden retriever mix knocked me down on accidently without even trying.

Malamutes are cool dogs. I met an owner with a legitimate pure breed malamute ( i say legitimate because everybody now a days want to breed a "smaller/toy" version of every dog). Owner tells me they have the same personality as Shibas...just 5x the size.
  • RikkaRikka
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka, I've always owned two dogs at the same time. But since you are going for Samoyed + Shiba...Can't really say much about the size difference. Haha. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have though!
  • ZinjaZinja
    @Bootz like Alaskan Klee Kais? They're very skitzo.
  • Before we got Onyx this is the site ( http://shibashake.com/ ) that helped us decide/helped prepare us to train our first dog. We were down to a husky or a shiba, and guess which way we thankfully went. I am still thinking about getting a husky as a second dog, but there are a lot of warnings. They do need A LOT of exercise. Some are better than others, and I have seen some that needs as little as a mile or two a day, but most of them need 3-10 a day to be worn out. If you don't wear them out they are very destructive, as I have seen many times from husky forums.

They do excellently with shibas most of the time, obviously every dog is an individual so it isn't a guarantee, but as far as the two together it should be great.

The shedding is absolutely ridiculous, one of the worst breeds in the world for shedding, so be prepared to pay ~500 for a heavy duty pet vac.

Lastly, cats are almost 100 percent a no with huskys. They love cats, not to play, to eat. As many have said, huskys have a huge prey drive, and cats, unless introduced at a very young age, just look like a delicious snack.

All in all with your situation I would say probably not get a husky, although they are in my opinion the second most beautiful dog breed in the world (second to shibas), there are just too many things that can go wrong in your situation. Unless you specifically want a bigger dog, I have to ask why no just go ahead and get another shiba. They usually are perfect in duos (ask many people on here, a lot of people have two), and you already live the lifestyle for shibas.
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • RikkaRikka
  • CaliaCalia

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)