For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Thinking of adding an Akita or Malamute. Thoughts?
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    At the moment I have a 1.5yr old female shiba who is very friendly and sociable. I also have a tough tom cat and a 4yr old. We are thinking of adding a large breed dog to the mix in the next year or so. Probably when my son starts school so I will have more time to train. I had my heart set on a Japanese Akita as I think they are the most beautiful dogs and love everything about my shiba, apart from her small size (the hubby wanted small dog but I love the giants) When I contacted my shiba breeder to get some advice she did not recommend pairing these two breeds together. Has anyone else heard this? Is it a prey drive thing? My second choice would be an Alaskan malamute. Anyone with experience with this breed? I have met 2 males and they were wonderful but that is all I know.
  • BootzBootz
    I have heard the same regarding Akita and Shiba. But I think its similar to not getting two siblings or raise two females at a time. Its not recommended. But if you have the right mindset, experience, and train/discipline them well, then it can happen.

I believe a couple of people on this forum has an Akita + shiba combo.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-07-24 13:19:06
  • There are some breeders who breed both Shibas and Akitas. Not many. Most are AA breeders.
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    One of the reasons I was asking these questions so soon is because I know going with an ethical breeder can sometimes take a while, especially if we are considering a JA. I have met some wonderful AAs in my time as a kennel worker but just as many questionable ones (most likely the fault of the owners or bad breeding practices)
  • BritigerxBritigerx
    Huskies and shibas do get along pretty well. At least my boy shiba and my dad's husky love each other. My shiba is a bit rough with the husky but luckily the husky never lashes out in revenge or anything. I think huskies and shibas are a good fit together due to their energy levels.
  • BootzBootz
    I bumped into a malamute the other day at the dog park. I was amazed at how huge it was, since most people always get the "smaller" version of everything. It was even bigger than me! The owner and I had a nice chat, but overall she mentioned how the Malamute's personality is like the Shiba. Independent, and stubborn when they don't want to do something. Difference? Just that the malamute is like 100 lbs or more!

The Malamute is going to be a lot of work since they will grow fast and you have a cat + a 4 yr old. x_x Bootz looked rather small next to the Malamute, but it was very well behaved (although it was around 10 years old).
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • RyanRyan
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • zazazaza
    My breeder keeps both Shibas and Japanese Akitas and they get on really well together, in fact they are like best friends. She also has 4 cats that she rescued. As long as they are socialized in a controlled environment initially they should be fine :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)