For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas and Basenjis
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-01 04:07:23
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • LosechLosech
    The one Basenji I've met so far (Helios) was pretty chill. He and Conker got along great since they were so "eh, whatever" about everything. The woman who owned him agreed that he, just like Conker, was a bad representation of what their breeds truly are! She and I both have to explain to other people that our dogs are NOT normal for their breeds, and are one in a thousand in terms of chill-ness.
    So many people say "I want a Shibu Ibu now!" (bad spelling intentional) after meeting Conker despite his stranger shyness, and Helois's owner said many people say the same thing but about Basenji's to her.
    That's the cue for the explanation of what a Shiba or Basenji truly is, and people often rethink it after that.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-05-15 00:00:20
  • RyanRyan
  • JuniJuni
    I had narrowed it down to shiba or basenji when I'd decided to get a dog and still think it could be my second dog, they are gorgeous. I'd love to read more about peoples' experience with them. Juni's met and played really well with a few.
  • We've had some Basenjis at our dog park. They and the Shibas play well together.

Maybe I should consider a Basenji in the future. They have been on my "short list" of other breeds I might like to have, along with Corgis and medium sized NKs.

Sukoshi has been kind of subdued since Hoshi passed away, so I've considered getting another companion dog for us. Last weekend I took her to the local SPCA and did a doggie social to see if she would get along with another dog. The other dog was a very cute, lively little Pom/Chi mix. Well, she totally ignored him, even when he sniffed her nose. So this wasn't a good match and he didn't go home with us. Guess she wants another Shiba or maybe just wants to be the Shiba princess again. (Note: The little guy was adopted by someone else the next day!)
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-15 18:11:23
  • @curlytails-

Thanks for the all the info on Basenjis. Would have to weigh their health issues, since I am still up to eyeballs in Sukoshi's health issues (heart, small liver for her size).

We have our Shiba meetup tomorrow in early AM (good because of heat!) Thanks for offer about the Basenji fun day.

I think I'm going to "relax" on getting another dog, since Sukoshi didn't appear to be wildly enthusiastic about the option. My attitude is that the dog will appear when the time is right. (Kind of like the old adage-- when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.)
  • koyukikoyuki
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • @curlytails- For dental health, you might want to try " Get Naked" available at PETCO in different varieties (joint health, digestive, etc.) Sukoshi gets the glucosamine/chondroitin due to her hip dysplasia. She really likes it and her teeth seem pretty clean according to recent vet exam.
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-17 13:38:46
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)