For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Since there have been a lot of questions lately about Shiba play style and 'is this too rough'. Sunyata came up with the idea of posting a thread with some videos of Shibas at play. If we could get some members to post videos of Shiba play in one spot, it might help alleviate some new owners' worries.

Here are a couple of examples of Shibas playing rough.

Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-02-25 11:55:48
  • starrystarry
    thanks for sharing those videos, enlightening!
    my shibas play rough, lots of strange sounds. It has scared one or two dog owners and now I afraid of my dogs meeting another non shiba dog because I don't want them labelled as aggressive.
    Does anyone have a good way of explaining to other non shiba owners that these are the sounds they make and this is play?

Do most people avoid other dogs or do you let them play and then attempt to reassure the other dog owner?
    I really wish my dogs had the chance to be social with other dogs without freaking people out
  • lucylulucylu
    I just got back from the same park again today and Lucy started playing with another beagle mix this same way. The owner was very scared, but luckily her husband was there to tell her it was ok, they were just playing. Usually I'll explain that she always plays this way and if one of the dogs didn't like it they'd make an "ouch" sound or try to get away. I run into the owners of large breeds being concerned their dog will hurt lucy more often. I just let them know that Lucy will let the other dog, or me know when it's getting too much.

The biggest issue is that Shiba's show their teeth so much while they play. You just have to read the other person. 9 times out of 10 after watching them "fight" for a few minutes they become much more relaxed. If their body language is still really tight, I'll call Lucy off (thankfully she has really good recall) and we'll continue on the trail.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Here's is mine. Its funny that Penny lets INU "win" their play fights in public but at home in private she kicks his butt.

INU has the toy and Penny has his leg.

Photobucket

犬竜
  • Sadly, I have very few videos of Bowdu at play. Our socially awkward guy never really figured it out, and still seldom finds partners well-matched on his own terms. His main thing is that he is *very* vocal and nippy, as this video demonstrates.

So the couple things I would point out here -- the Samoyed doesn't seem particularly comfortable with Bowdu's rowdiness, but Bowdu does pause and step back at points. He gets a little agitated when the third dog (Bull Terrier) tries to get in on the action, and barks at them. He has always preferred one-on-one play, the few times he's engaged. I wonder if other Shibas are like that? And finally, the Samoyed seems to be giving pretty clear signals that she's had enough at the end. She runs away, but Bowdu pursues. That is the point at which I intervened, because then it just seems like Bowdu is harassing someone else's dog who doesn't want to play.

The Samoyed's momma is off in another corner of the park. They had previously played well together before, and the other dog's owner was comfortable with the amount of noise that Bowdu makes. I usually address the other dog's owner directly: "My dog is very vocal when he plays -- is that okay?" And then proceed from how the other dog owner feels about it. Most of the time they've been very understanding, though the onus is still on me to keep my dog under threshold.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-02-26 00:06:16
  • MarijeMarije
    Shiro playing rough with the huskies (or more the other way around). As you can see his mouth is open all the time, flashing teeth.

• jjlcjjlc
    nice, this was pretty much exactly how Miko's play date wtih a friends older black lab went. We were both fine with it, but the wife was very stressed by it all, thinking someone would get hurt. She didn't quite see how the bigger dog was being VERY gentle with Miko and would only take it up a notch to let her know she'd gotten a little too rough.
  • SayaSaya
    I don't have any adult videos at the moment so crazy puppy Saya will do..

She is still vocal when she plays as an adult too which coarse can make some people bit worried and some dogs too maybe.

This mostly Saya and Bella chasing each other, but does show some how Saya was going for Bella's lips a lot.. hehe She gets tumbled on the ground and she is back for more. lol

http://youtu.be/LhB7DCaOpbs?t=45s

Here's slide show of Saya playing with Bella and various dogs.
    imageimage
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LaurenLauren
    Haha this is an example of the noises we here come from our two all day, he sounds like a monkey and she sounds like a demon:

It made it tough going to the dog park with Dexter. All he ever wants is for someone to chase him, so he will instigate something to make other dogs chase him around. Which is why he loves Honey so much now....(the noises in this one are all HER):

• So this is normal?? Please reply.....
    http://youtu.be/A20YWyFHl-M
  • GatsuGatsu
    Yep Fawkes, that is completely normal. One of yours is pretty vocal, but some shibas do that.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-02-28 10:51:40
  • @ Gatsu, thank you so much... but now the boy keeps trying to hump my Fawkes.. any ideas what i can do?
  • @Fawkes702: I would remove him from her to let him calm down. Zim started humping one of his toys and we weren't big fans so we just started removing the toy when he did it (we played with him with other toys even immediately after removal since that was the only one he humped). He has since stopped humping that toy and I've never seen it otherwise.
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-02-28 17:51:33
  • McYogiMcYogi
    I'll try to find a video later, but here is one of a hundred pictures I have of rough play:

• bobc33bobc33
    Here is one with my two (Shadow prior to being fixed) playing with Leelou, who only lives three houses down but unfortunately we don't see her much.

Here is another with Nemo, who lives a few doors down in the other direction and luckily we see and play with him almost every day of the year.

Post edited by bobc33 at 2012-03-01 23:12:40
  • SayaSaya
    Here's pictures of Saya and Bella playing I recently added some new ones which she looks pretty scary! :D
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.217949401581006.58371.100000978432687&type=1&l=65e14d9926
    Photobucket
  • Fawkes702Fawkes702
    Shiba play injuries anyone? So my new shiba had some hair missing at the tips of his ears, and my older shiba had this bald spot near her face from a hard bite. I took the new shiba to the vet because i thought maybe there were skin problems, but turns out it was from trauma. Meaning, too much harsh play. They are better now, but that first week they were playing REAL rough...
  • SayaSaya
    Bella is only one who got scratches.. Bella never really hurt Saya, but as a put Saya bit too hard on Bella's floppy lips Here's two pics showing them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

She healed up.

Puppy class seemed to help Saya with her craziness plus as she grew older she didn't bite her lips so hard or much. Bella never cried or whined when it happened either.
    Photobucket
  • SayaSaya
    Bumping this up since there's new shiba owners plus I got some yummy pics to post. :D

Demon dog arise!
    Demon dog in angel mode!
    Photobucket
    Play bow!
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Typical shiba has to clean in between playing
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Saya likes to stare to engage play sometimes she'll stare for a bit and Bella gives chase if Bella ignores Saya she then barks, growls and yodels to get her to play.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Demon dog is loose!
    Photobucket

Close up on Sai
    Photobucket

Play is done Bella playing by herself with the dog blanket
    Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed saya's play antics! :D

Such adorable shiba haha
    Photobucket

Next time they play and stuff I'll try get it on video so you can hear how crazy she can sound. hehe
    Photobucket
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-05-22 19:19:00
  • TalTal
    guess i have to add my picture to the existing thread as i was rebuked for posting this picture as a stand-alone.. (i still think it is worthy) =) the play amuses the heck out of me but others seem to think it is a Shiba attack.. =( Photobucket
    and the slightly less dramatic..
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Tal at 2012-05-22 10:55:39
  • SayaSaya
    Nice set of pictures. Yeah a lot people aren't used to shiba or husky play both can look rough.

I think it's good to have this in one thread so people can check the videos out and pictures to see what others play like. Especially new shiba owners.

I put pictures of Saya in her spam thread I just change title to show it's pictures of her eating lamb leg or playing with Bella etc..
    Photobucket
  • nicole_anicole_a
    Yea my dog looks exactly like all those pictures but it scares the crap out of me sometimes! She never growls or barks when she's playing but if she yips I usually pull her away because she so rarely does. I have a question though...a lot of times when she's playing the hair on her back will stand up which worries me. Is that a problem?
  • SakuSaku
    My shiba inu will rough house all day long at home but they never rough play with other dogs in the dog park or anywhere...
    But when Saku and Mina play like that in the dog park, other dog owners do look scared and concerned. I just say they have a complicated love and hate relationship.
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    Thank you so much for posting these! It is good to see these things before getting a new dog (of any breed) so you can be 100% aware of the way your dog may act and prepare yourself and others you may be with of how to react if they doggie gets a little rough.
  • @nicole_a my boy dog does that when he's playing outside. he doesn't do it when he's at home, my guy and i call it his playhawk or when he's being super alert on our walks at night, he has his 'hawk on. our girl dog doesn't ever get the 'hawk. i don't know why he has it, but i don't think it's a bad thing.

@saku TOTALLY! my shibas play crazy like that too, and my boy dog looks absolutely terrifying, (his ugly, snarly, "war" face) and people always comment when they play together like that. only with each other, or other shibas do they act that way. around other dogs they don't go in crazy shiba play mode, they are much more gentle and calm. doing the chase and bumping. i wonder if they know not to play with other dogs like that, i certainly didn't teach them that way. other than a few scoldings.
  • i also think it's the high pitch screams that scare people too...not just the snarly face fights...
  • SayaSaya
    Saya's hackles go up to during play too. :)
    Photobucket
  • @saya is that what that fur on top is called, hackles? doesn't sound very fun. LoL
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah that's what it is.

Saya does it in play. Dogs will do it when scared, or excited.

Coarse if they're playing and having fun it's OK.

Saya always does it when playing with Bella and she is no where near scared of Bella the boxer she loves rough housing with her so it's just excitement.

Someone I know called it his shark fin. haha
    Photobucket
  • LeelusMomLeelusMom
    @bobc33 - Just saw the video of your dogs playing with Leelou and I just had to comment - MY dog's name is Leelu (pronounced the same way I would assume). Do you happen to know where they got that name?
  • ShintalverShintalver
    Shinta doesn't play much, but then again his shiba style is different from most dogs :-D. On an interesting note, at the dog park his favorite activity is wait for a dog to seem to start running towards him (the dog usually isn't actually going to him), then he stalks them, lays in the dirt, and if they DO manage to get close to him, he goes up and vocalizes in their face. For the other dog's part, they usually just look confused and go back to doing what they were doing lol. So he's a dog stalker. BUT every once in a great while he'll find a friend to wrestle, tell off, or chase around :-)

On that note, my parents got a lab puppy, and they've been known to play a little:

And here's how much Tori cares about Shinta's rough treatment lol

• esiepielaesiepiela
    All of these pictures are awesome! I love to see play pics. Although to someone who doesn't know how Shiba's play...these pics can be scary...LOL
    Zach plays the same way...although he definately alters how he is playing depending on his playmate. He plays hard with bigger dogs but there are a few little dogs (maltese and terriers) in my apartment complex and Zach is gentle with them. He never gets rough.
  • ShintalverShintalver
    http://youtu.be/NvpcQow9AZ0

Here is my boy and my brother-in-law's puppy playing :-)
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Yikes..is this how rough they play? I doubt I would be able to differentiate the rough play from a real fight.

I have brought my little 2 months old to my parents place. They have 4 dogs there, A Poodle (male, 3 yrs old), A Spitz mix (female, 3.5 yrs old), an American Cocker Spaniel (male, 2 years old) and a Golden retriever (Male, 8 years old).

She seems terrified of the Golden Retriever, the American Cocker is terrified of her. The other just ok. I sniff your butt and I sniff yours. No fights or play have started yet but I presume something will when she is older.

Any advice for a 1st time Shiba owner?
    Really fast out.
  • ShintalverShintalver
    So long as no "I'm hurt" squeals come out, and so long as there doesn't seem to be one dog desperately wanting to get away from the other, it should be fine. Shinta is a big bluffer, lots of noise and teeth showing, but if I put my hand in between them, his mouth hits me, but there's no teeth coming down. He's VERY careful with the puppy, and she gives as good as she gets, making noise and showing teeth, but she initiates it with putting her mouth on his leg, rump, or tail, but she's not biting down either, or he'd yip. So it's a game of understanding :-) They also wait while the other is drinking or grooming.

Now on the other hand, if Shinta postures and bluffs at the wrong dog, he's been known to have his bluff called and has been known to yip and run away himself. So when they do start to play, just see how each dog responds to the play. If they seem too rough, separate them and feel them over to see how they are. Neither Kaylee or Shinta come away even damp, so there is no mouthing even :-)
  • RikkaRikka
    So, recently I've been noticing that Sagan's play-styles are becoming more "aggressive." Like... to the point where I have to take him away after playing for five minutes to calm down, according to my trainer.

Sagan is very, very mouthy (common within Shiba's, I know) and often grabs others ears, cheeks, and chest. He's very alpha-like when he plays, so he's always on top of others (at least those his size or smaller). If he's unable to get on top of them due to size, he actually becomes more mouthy and continues to nip and/or grab onto the other pup's cheek or ear until they eventually lay down in submission or I call him off. Unfortunately, they're not yelping or showing any signs of distress, but it seems my trainer does not like this. We do kind of a 15-minute puppy play section at the end of class every week, and no matter the puppy, Sagan is still rough -- they don't seem to appreciate it.

What am I supposed to do if this is just how he plays with every dog? Sagan is 3.5-months-old, so he's still young, but I want to make sure that this doesn't carry into adulthood and I'm having to take him away every five minutes when he's trying to play with someone else because he's way too rough.

Is this just a breed thing? I'm going to email my trainer later to see if she has any insight to this, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say, also.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Thank you to those who posted videos. It is very helpful to new "parents". My Shiba gets to play with her sister, both pups, and they go at it. I'm not sure how she would be with other dogs, but the sounds, cries, and screams they make is a bit alarming. Why do they go for the inner portion of the mouth? That's when I hear the loudest screams from one or the other.
  • SayaSaya
    I wish I had a video camera with me at madison shiba meet up the two B&T pups were being way too rough and the breeder had to separate them it would beeen a good example of too roughness.. hehe

Saya was rough as a pup. Saya's buddy Blue dachshund will get on Saya's back and Saya does the same to dachshund and they'll jaw spar and stuff..
    Photobucket
  • lucylulucylu
    Shiba play is tough. Guts pretty much drags Lucy by the throat, but Lucy smiles during it so we let it go. Lol
  • MayamaMayama
    We've been dog-sitting another Shiba Inu over the weekend, and this is how they've been playing. They've been pretty good at telling each other when to stop, when to take a water break, and when to start the next round.

Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
    Post edited by Mayama at 2012-09-10 15:25:32
  • SayaSaya
    So cute! They look like they're having tons of fun! :)
    Photobucket
  • jelliesjellies
    There are many interesting Shiba videos on youtube if you copy paste the right Japanese search. Here is a good play one:

• tatonkatatonka
    You the great thing about rough Shiba play is that if your dog gets hurt for some reason.. he will really really let you know.

Tatonka is all about rolling around and overrunning a dog, but as soon as anything even remotely resembling pain happens he will cry and cry.
    Monkey!
  • GatsuGatsu
    I was watching Guts and Gidget playing in the yard today. They play like this all the time. I have to yell at them in the middle of the night to cut this crap out lol.

Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-09-26 11:28:04
  • I like how at the end Guts looks startled to find out he was being watched by you (-:
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Hahahah guts was sitting on gidgets head while he was mouthing her hind legs hahahah

Guts: "something doesn't feel right... It's too quiet"
    Gidget: "here's my chance to get his chin"
    Guts: "wait!"
    Backs up

Guts: "is that......"
    Backs up more

Guts: "hi dad! Nothing was going on!"
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-26 12:45:39
  • GatsuGatsu
    LOL, yeah I love how he acted like nothing was going on. Also I love how the hole Gidget dug into the ground, is the hole Guts trapped her in. It's almost like Guts made her dig her own grave!
  • SayaSaya
    Love how crazy shiba can be during play. lol
    Photobucket
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Thought I would bump this thread with some additions of my own now that I have a 13.5 month old Shiba and what is presumed to be a 3.5 month old mix with possible Shiba in him ...

Here is the mouth wrestling matches ...

I love how Bear is trying so hard to get Tanjiro to tug with him in this one

photo IMG_1490_zps8e88372a.jpg

photo IMG_1494_zps0a92cc8a.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (5)