For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
PTPA (Potty Training Pet Apartment)
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • koyukikoyuki
  • Stef777Stef777
    Why would they make the potty part so big compared to the side the dog is supposed to lay???? I would not buy this product. Save your money!!
  • chirpy81chirpy81
    To be honest, it was a waste of money. I personally have bought this item and Neo NEVER used the training pad part of the cage. When I got him as a puppy, he would sleep in the smaller side of it, but a couple of months later he'd sleep in the bigger area and try to move the pad away, or tear it up. He still loves the cage, don't get me wrong, but for $200, you can get a cheaper one and still be of good use. Maybe other breeds of dogs will use the pad part, but probably not so much a Shiba, they love their cleanliness most of the times! :) Neo will use a potty pad only if it's pouring rain outside and really needs to go. Hope that helps with your decision.
  • mcsassymcsassy
  • EthosEthos
    Actually I feel it's a good solution to people who live in apartments with elevators.

the potty part is made big compared to the bed part so the poppy is forced to leave the restricted area where he sleeps and potty in the larger area. if you make the sleeping section big the puppy might potty in that extra space. I might try it once I get my puppy :)
  • sunyatasunyata
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-03-06 22:12:29
  • koyukikoyuki
  • koyukikoyuki
  • EthosEthos
    OK, convinced. won't get it :) you guys made good points.
  • koyukikoyuki
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    i live in an apartment and on the third floor :/ but for the first month we had brewster we simply took him out to go potty 1.)everytime we let him out of the crate 2.)if he ever looked like he was looking for a pee spot 3.) ever 2-3 hours....we got puppy pads in hopes that we can use them to show him places to go outside but he thought they were toys not to mention he goes pee or poop in a different spot everytime...ANYWHO this worked great for us maybe itll be good for you :) good lluck
  • CaliaCalia
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-03-07 10:49:25
  • InoushiInoushi
    when I got kenshin, I couldn't take him outside at all, very few dogs are vaccinated in my complex, and my vet advised me of some parvo deaths. So I paper trained him until his 12th week. I didn't have any of the crazy problems people said here, I just did discrimination training. He could only go in one spot if paper was down. Once we started going out it took 3 weeks to phase it out completely. He never goes inside of the house, barring the one time he had an emergency and aimed out of the window....
  • BootzBootz
    @Bruce,

I use a potty patch (artificial grass) instead of a potty pad. That way it reinforces the concept of going on grass versus a potty pad (which my second puppy use to get confused with anything soft like carpet...lol)

Its working very well since she rarely uses the patch unless its the LAST resort.(Example: I fell asleep watching t.v. and instead of waking me up to go potty, she used the patch)
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • DjinnDjinn
  • BootzBootz
    @Bruce,

Yea it is a bit pricey. I used the "As seen on tv" potty patch. The small one goes for 40, the large one goes for 80. I would recommend searching on craigslist. A lot of people get it for their puppy and it ends up not working out.

I got a large one on craigslist for 25, which was a steal. I've seen a lot of people post the small potty patch for $20.

Keep in mind that artificial grass does start to smell if you don't maintain it well (washing out the trays, washing the grass). Just a heads up since you live in an apt.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • BootzBootz
    The $200 dollar ones are fancy. They come with a sprinkler system (lol). Do you have a deck/balcony for your apartment? Don't have to use a hose, can just get a bucket of water and rinse it down and just dry it in the sun. The tray is the main thing you need to wash out since its the ammonia from the urine that causes the smell. I only wash mine out once a month...maybe every 3 weeks at the most, since Bootz rarely uses it.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • BootzBootz
    I don't know how the weather is in your city, but try get a screen/door attachment with a doggie door. That might help. Also try grabbing a chair and relaxing on the balcony so bruce knows the balcony is not a scary place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)