For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Suggestions for treats on a Budget-30 days no spending challenge
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-03-03 13:09:00
  • InoushiInoushi
    One site to look at is slickdeals.net. Sometimes they report good deals on dog treats, I once got 25 pounds of treats for 40 bucks flat shipping included, its just really rare to get good deals from good dog food vendors. Petco also does a lot of 20-70% off during holidays if your signed up with them for emails. Foster and smith is good too. I was able to get 5 pounds of duck jerky for 15 bucks one year. I spend a lot of time hunting deals on the internet, but its so luck based.

I tend to get himilayin chews, and puff up the ends later. I resticth old toys, but I tend to get those on deals. Ikea has these great toys made for babies, they are like 50 cents a piece. I have this one ball from there that has lasted 4 years, the stitching is pretty amazing because my dogs play tug of war with it daily. They also have rats and small animal shapes, or giant animals, I think they don't go more for 7 bucks, and my pets all love them. Best part being they are all machine and dryer safe.

I even use the carboard boxes from shipping, a treat inside an upside down box, is lots of fun. Old socks make wonderful balls you can hide treats in (superivsed fun ofcourse).

I make treats out of anything, sardines are so cheap in a tin, generally around 40 cents and its easy to find them in bulk, I also have a place where talpia, flounder and shrimp goes 5 pounds for ten bucks all packed individually.

• INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • LosechLosech
    Home-made all the way! You can use whatever you do for people, as long as your dogs don't react bad to it. That's what I do if I run out of treats. I just cut up some meat or bake something.

Heh, I don't think I could ever go 30 days without spending something on Conker. And that's just one dog! You have many more than me so it's not much of an easy comparison.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-03-03 13:07:36
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    feed them the bad neighborhood children :) only kidding :P ANYWHO @losech has the right idea , if you have eggs,hard boile them and give the white as a treat and yolk crumbled over food,if you have low sodioum hot dogs,well thats easy (brewster loves hot dogs) if you microwave it and let it cool it sort becomes a tasty chew toy
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
  • ladyritaladyrita
    I got laughed at the first time I did this but it works and is completely FREE. I went down to the fish monger with my Dad to pick up some fish for dinner and asked the mongers if they had any leftover salmon skin from the filleted salmon. They gave me the strangest look and asked why on earth I wanted it...I said for my dog. They looked at me and burst into laughter. I will be shameless for my dog, I didn't care! They ended up giving me a bucketload of salmon skin and know to save some for me every Friday.

Now Tsumo has salmon skin snacks whenever he wants!

Edit: I pop the skins flat on a baking tray in the oven on low with a bit of olive oil on top until they are crispy
    Post edited by ladyrita at 2012-03-04 07:17:44
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • curlytailscurlytails

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)