For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Do you favor one of your shibas (or pets) more than the others?
  • SakuSaku
    I admit, I do. It's irrational and even though I want to be fair and square (which I do by actions), but in my heart, Saku will always be my heart dog. I love my other dog Mina too but it's a bit different. Luckily, her daddy (my hubby) favors her more than Saku because he always wanted a female shiba.

Our shibas seem to know this too. Mina "click" with my husband from day 1. Mina would curl up to him and "air hump" at his presence (later on I learn it's a sign that she is excited to see him), but she never air humps me (I don't know if I should be happy or feeling at loss). Verse versa, I can always count on Saku to respond to me but he will only do a half-ass job when my husband asks him to do something.

I actually asked my trainer if it is normal in a multi-dogs household. I guess I was struggling with my conscience. She said it's human nature and she can't help but loves one dog a little bit more than the others too and it's just something we should live with.

I just wonder how about other multi-shibas (dogs) owners? Do you also favor one dog over the others and how do you manage living with this?
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-01-02 20:33:55
  • LosechLosech
    Conker is my dog. Juneau and Sasha are Mom's/family dogs. I highly favor him over them in some instances, but I give them all attention. I'm the only one who walks any of them, feeds them and makes sure they are in good condition so really, they are all mine in terms of care.
    But Conker is mine, always will be, and is my favorite. I'm not ashamed to say that.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-01-02 17:01:42
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    right now we only have brewster and someone offered us a substancial amount of money for him but we declined :) so when we make our family bigger i feel bad sayin it but brewster will always be a daddys boy ;) hell always be numero uno lol
  • BootzBootz
    I would say I favor Jackie more, because she's small and dependent on us. Bootz is the exact opposite of Jackie. Bootz is very well socialized and independent. I love them both the same. But Jackie is my girl, and Bootz is my boyfriend's.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    We only have Zach but HE definately favors me more. And I have to say I love it!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hmm, I will insist that I love both my Bows equally, because they are so different and provide very different kinds of satisfactions. My boyfriend definitely favors Bowdu though. He often chants as he pets him, "Shiba inu is BEST inu!"
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    As individuals both my Shibas have different strengths and weaknesses. Certain things I like about one are offset by the things I like about the other. If I had to choose to get rid of one then it would be my wife (joke).
    犬竜
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I definitly favor my male GSD Sinister over all of my other animals. Sinister is my world, I dont think people really understand my love for him. It sounds crazy but I am a 23 year old female that lives alone in the ghetto, I have Scleroderma on my right arm which means my right arm is basically useless. I would not be able to live alone on my own without Sinister, he makes me feel safe and I know he would protect me if needed. He is my shadow, my heart and my best friend. I'd do anything for him. He keeps me calm and happy. There will never be another dog like him, he is perfect.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • I love all of them for their different behavior, and some days I love one more than the other (depending on who is being good or at least charming, or who is driving me crazy). Of course, I try to treat them all equally.

But Toby is my heart dog for sure. He's the oldest (8) and can be a major pain in the ass with his dog reactivity and the fact that he doesn't tolerate any other dogs, and so has to be kept separate, but I love him like crazy. With all the problems we've had in our household with dogs not getting along, I've known the easiest "solution" in our house would be to rehome the one dog that can't get along with the others, but who is always charming and well behaved with people. He's the one (Bel is simply to crazy and needy and skittish to go to another home), and now that he has to be separated from the other two dogs, there are times that I think he might be happier in a home where he was the only dog.

But I love him like crazy. I can't imagine not having him in my life, and I spent thousands of dollars I didn't have and lots of energy and heart ache to keep him alive after Bel nearly killed him. I can't imagine not having him in my life, and I know, of all of them, he's the one I could never let go of.

I love Bel, as crazy, needy and dangerous as she can be. It's why she still here after all her problems--she's crazy, but can be so charming and sweet (to me). I love Oskar the Akita--how wonderful, sometimes, that he is NOT a Shiba, and he's such a huge big baby--soft (in both fur and temperament) and yet still protective, and just a funny boy, who makes the most wonderful wiggly hop when he sees us. (Oskar favors my husband, a bit, but that's fine--my husband loves him the most of the three).

But Toby is mine.
  • Currently our only pet is Sakura, but my husband someday wants to get either a black and tan shiba (he claims so he can tell them apart) or an Akita. Sakura by all acounts is my dog, when she is sick I stay up with her to make sure she is ok, when she has just gotten her shots, I'm the one she comes to for cuddling (I think more for my body heat to soothe her aches). I'm the one that spends hours researching and looking for things that don't set off her allergies. Despite all of this, I think she favors my husband more. Perhaps because I am here almost all the time and my husband is gone at school most days. She is so happy when he comes home and her sleeping spot of choice when he is gone is on his computer chair.

If we someday get an Akita, I think that will be my husbands buddy, as he has always wanted a big dog and honestly, I couldn't handle him.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • Thank goodness, I only have one dog. :) I don't think I can be fair if I have more than one dog in the family but I'm planning to add another dog. I hope all would go well. :)
    Akitas (http://www.trainpetdog.com/Akita/about-akita.html) have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.
  • LosechLosech
    @AkimAkita Yeah, since Conker is *my* only dog right now despite the Girls being here, It makes sense that I paint him as my favorite. But what happens when I get another dog what is actually mine, I wonder?
  • I love all 3 of my babies, and spoil them all rotten. But Khali is my baby girl, she was my first Shiba and she definitely is a mommas girl and let's it be known that she is mine. :)
  • bobc33bobc33
    I have two and they are so different in personalities. I live alone and have become as close to them as a parent does a child.

Scout is the more "typical" Shiba as she is very aloof, independent and cat like. I got her when she was 10 weeks old and all of 5 pounds. I was a first time dog owner and the two of us learned together. (Darn I wish I knew of this forum then) However she is the one by far who misses me the most if I'm away. My freinds who watch them if I go out say she is fine for the first few hours but then stares out their window waiting for me. When I come home for lunch each day and after work she is always in the window expecting me. But then when I come in she just sits on the top of the couch and doesn't move, just looks at me as if to say "about time." When it is bedtime she'll follow me upstairs, may even jump on the bed for a few minutes but always heads back downstairs to sleep on the couch. On our walks she just moves along, though every once in a great while she will stop and look at me as if to say "everything OK?" and I'll give her a little pat and she moves along again.

Shadow is much more of a typical dog. I got him when he was 8 months old, and he has had a bunch of health and behavior issues. My vet and trainer both say he is the luckiest dog they have ever known as most owners would have "put him down" a long time ago. I've made up my mind I will give him the best life possible, while always having to "manage" him. It is difficult because he is so friendly to every dog and person he meets, but I do keep him away from almost all contact with other people except for our friends on the street who are considered family. He follows me everywhere throughout the house and sleeps huddled against my chest and shoulder. When I come home he howls with delight when he senses I'm coming in, greets me at the door 100% of the time with tail wagging and a goofy grin on his face.

I tend to favor Shadow a bit more because he craves attention and is receptive, though I purposely try to engage Scout but much of the time she just wants to be left alone. My feelings towards them are equal I think. Scout because she has been with me from the start, Shadow because we have been through so much together.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    at the daycare i work for I favor all shibas over every other dog there i also favor this alaskan klee kai lol but the shibas to me are i guess to say it in a simpler term is just they have that shiba personality lol my supervisor and other people their pretend to like the shibas but they hate them because they think theyre bad and "vicious" which is their favorite word to use but I just tell them they don't understand shiba personality.
  • I totally do. I actually favor my snow Bengal, Willow most because she was my first cat that was really mine. She's my only pet who's not a rescue, I picked her out from the start as a kitten, and she's been with me from day one. Bengals are one person cats, and I'm her person. She is everything I'd ever want in a companion; loving, smart, silly, entertaining, sweet, social, beautiful, and more. She is and always will be my favorite.

I love my other guys too. They are my kids. I would never think of getting rid of any of them anymore than you could imagine getting rid of your own flesh and blood. But Willow is like my biological daughter and my other guys are almost like my adopted kids.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I feel the same with my two shibas. I got Nikko when he was 8-10 weeks old and that was almost 7 years ago now. He was the first animal that was completely mine and I raised. He is quite independent but we have a very strong bond. There will never be anything like Nikko, he is simply my baby.

Ember I got at 6 months and that was only months ago. Her personality is so different than Nikko's. She is interested in all things and craves more attention, but she is so sweet and a really good dog.

I love them both and treat them equally with food, treats, training, and love. Nikko is special for being my first baby but he has 6 years of spending time with me over Ember.
  • I totally favor my shiba over my min pin. Dasha (the shiba) is totally my dog. She sleeps on my side of the bed and usually responds to me better. My boyfriend bonded with our min pin right away and they are always together! So when we got Dasha, I jumped on the chance to have that bond with a dog. Yet, I still love our min pin and would do anything for her!!
  • tatonkatatonka
    I love Tatonka about as much as he loves me, which is to say not too much at all.
    Monkey!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I like to think I don't favor one of the other, but I suppose I do in some ways: I spent more time working with the youngest dog, because the youngest needs the most work. So it used to be the Akita and now is the Kai Ken. And I also spend more time working with my Kai because he needs way more exercise and stimulation than the others, but also because he gets along with other dogs and really enjoys agility, so we end up doing that.

My Akita is pretty mellow and doesn't need much attention. My girl Shiba is a trainwreck, of course, and gets a lot of "negative" attention, meaning she has to be at the vet, or being taken care of for health issues, or she's being crazy and has to be handled. this means my old boy Shiba, who is the easiest of all the dogs, get less attention. He also lives separate from everyone else because he doesn't get along wit others. So I have to make an effort to spend time with him, so he's not neglected. We have our daily walks, and he spends the evening with me in the house with the other dogs put away, and that's how I balance that out, but it is an effort, sometimes, not to neglect the less needy dogs for the ones that have higher needs.
  • amtiamti
    Oh what a hard question... I don't know. Kaji is a sweetheart and very sensitive. He loves everyone and everything. He's never been abused so he doesn't know how cruel some people and animals can be. I love his spirit and his joy. Then there's Taisho, who came from a totally different background. He just loves us, and we love him. He's calm, mature, experienced, been through mean dogs, and other things so he really appreciates us and the life he has now. When he sees me, he is overjoyed and won't stop crying until I hug him. I can cuddle with him and he'll sit on my lap, things Kaji doesn't do. So it is like comparing apples to oranges. I can't pick. They are too different. However, I can easily tell you which cat I like better. :-))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)