For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy Mills: What they are, ways to work against them
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-08-04 20:44:19
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2011-11-22 16:45:46
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2014-03-02 13:07:04
  • Thanks for posting the links in one place. I certainly don't look down on shibas from puppy mills. It isn't their fault where they were born or that they were born. I have a puppy mill shiba that I adopted from a rescue & I love him the same as my shiba from a reputable breeder. I would never knowingly purchase a shiba from a puppy mill & I suspect/hope most people would not do so. Education is the key. I feel if you want any pure bred dog, then find a reputable breeder. If you think it is too much work to find one or you do not want to wait for a puppy from an reputable breeder, then do the right thing and adopt a dog from your local rescue. There are way too many homeless dogs that need homes.
  • MayamaMayama
  • AraksAraks
    Thanks for the info.

I'm with Rhondabee here in that I'd never look down upon a dog from a puppy mill. Now, the people I look down on are the ones who knowingly go out knowing about the pet stores and puppy mills and still support those places. I understand the first time someone gets a dog and doesn't know any better, but by returning to a place like that for another dog is what gets me extremely irritated. I hope to see puppy mills shut down in my lifetime, but it's going to take a lot of work and educating the public.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • AraksAraks
    I really believe that the reputable breeders should advertise on websites like nextdaypets.com and whatnot. It would put better options for everyone to see on those websites as we've seen some of those dogs listed on these websites sometimes barely look like shibas, and if the breeders keep screening homes properly as they've been doing, I think it'll be a better way for people to get educated from them as well.
  • http://www.brooklynhillkennels.com/index.html
    I googled the phone number for the 28 females and 6 males listed for auction, and got this website.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-11-27 14:11:57
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • emmyemmy
    Can someone who is knowledgeable about rescue/fostering maybe start a thread about what to consider before committing to foster a shiba? I would love to see advice and stories from people who have done it. I have thought about fostering, but honestly it's kind of intimidating. There is a ton of great info about adopting a rescue out there, but I haven't found as much about what to expect when fostering. Then I see situations like this where rescues are in need of foster homes, and I feel bad for not learning more before now....
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • PupChowPupChow
  • emmy: Fostering differs a bit from organization to organization as do policies and requirements..... and even the people dynamic. If you are interested in specifically fostering a Shiba talk with the closest group to you listed on shibas.org

Here is a link on some things that are pertinent and give you an idea (the page is not breed specific) http://fosterdogs.com/

Speaking from my own experiences, I think the biggest and most important issue for us in fostering has been integration and making sure introductions and interactions among dogs remain smooth. Unlike many other breeds, one most likely will not be able to pour Shibas together and stir expecting them to get along right off the bat. It takes some planning and separation of spaces to really get the best results. Overall house training has been the least of any issues in fostering this breed.

Please speak with your local Shiba rescue and see if you can find a mentor to help you with the process since it is a lot tougher if you don't have the support. I don't know all the groups available or can speak for them individually....but I do know NYCSR has lots of activities and also Shibas4Life has a wonderful person as its founder.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-11-29 11:48:40
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Here is another link about puppy mills:

http://happytailsbooks.com/images/Mill_Dog_Manifesto.pdf

A few weeks ago I helped to transport to her foster home a 5 year old female shiba given to rescue by a mill. She was as sweet as can be, but she had a severe luxating patella, which will require surgery and glaucoma in one eye that had to be removed because it was caught too late. Think about how many puppies this shiba had, who were sold to unsuspecting people, who ended up with shibas that may suffer from luxating patellas and glaucoma. I don't know who the breeder is, but they probably have a website that tries to fool people into thinking they are reputable. Please do your homework, and I really think that contacting your closest shiba rescue and checking with them about a breeder before purchasing from the breeder is a safe way to avoid a puppy mill. The rescues know who to avoid.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    the petstore we got brewster from was finally shut down by the akc and went out of business...we got him as they were "clearancing theyre inventory" and what that meant was "buy the animals cuz if you dont they will be put down" we got no real discount on the lil furball but we are happy to know we saved him from death that he didnt deserve..i want it known thart we DO NOT support mills ,we did know he was from a mill but we couldnt let him be put down
  • My company in Columbus, OH helped gain some of the initial signatures for a petition to end puppy mills in Ohio. Hoping we will get a contract so we can gather the rest of the signatures. Then we can make sure they get all they need...then it can get on the ballot and the people would be able to vote to end them!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • KitsuKitsu
    Poor poodles :( They look MUCH MUCH happier now that they're out of there.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-06-27 14:44:34
  • InoushiInoushi
    Isn't there worry that if rescues start doing this, dogs millers that used to let "used up" dogs go for free will now charge money for them? I feel like it defeats the purpose of not buying from petstores, especially since this is direct money which will be used to buy more dogs :(

Its a really complicated situation, but I rather see that money go into funding legislation against mills, instead of possibly creating a new much bigger problem. I can't see how that wont backfire. Imagine them not letting go of old or sick animals without a crazy fee.....
    Post edited by Inoushi at 2012-06-27 18:21:05
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-06-27 22:19:28
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • SayaSaya
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-29 02:45:17
  • InoushiInoushi
    My biggest complaint about this logic of saving these dogs, is that its the same logic people get crucified for if they purchase a puppy in a pet store. How is it any different?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-29 06:24:19
  • InoushiInoushi
    @curlytails, I don't mean on this site, but rescues all say not to purchase puppies from petshops, yet its ok for them to hand money directly into the hands of a miller? Yes some millers are shutting down, but what about the ones rotating stocks? Yea your saving shibas, but what about the new breeds that will be subjected to the same treatment? $25 here and there may not seem like anything, but coupled with subsides it'll add up. Its just like a petshop that puts the old puppies on sale (or the sick ones).

My main point is, there is no difference. By saving these dogs, your condeming others. Im not against the morality of it, but I think saying its different is just a way to be more comfortable with it. I also feel there are a lot of shibas who don't get a chance in a rescue due to lack of space or funds. Why turn these dogs down yet pay for dogs at an auction? Why not save money for emergencies (such as a mill being forcibly shut down due to neglect), or just medical problems?

• lindsaytlindsayt
  • InoushiInoushi
    Maybe its different for me due to my area. I live in nyc, and I saw the struggles nyc shiba rescue went through. Money always seems to be an issue here. I also know of one petshop where puppies are kept in basements, and others where old puppies vanish (employees have told me some of the dissapearences were of a violent nature). I've seen sick shibas shaking in cages, where they received no treatment. Reporting does nothing. I just see so many dogs abused in all sorts of situations, that it bothers me handing money to the source of problem.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • InoushiInoushi
    @shibamistress That's my biggest concern, I don't think rescues should make their attendence public. If millers catch wind of this, they will purposely raise prices. I can see bids being driven up to get them out there as fast as possible.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2012-06-29 10:42:39

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)