For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Tagg The Pet Tracker (GPS tracker)
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Stef777Stef777
    Thank you for posting this article. I have been looking into getting one for Kendaux. Is it pretty light weight? Does Koji notice it on his collar?
  • Post edited by sandrat888 at 2011-11-10 12:08:59
  • Stef777Stef777
    Thank you Sandrat888 for the information :)

Koji is beautiful by the way. I'm glad Kendaux isn't the only "taller" guy around. He is around 15 inches at the shoulder but everyone says he is tall for a shiba.
  • SayaSaya
  • Stef777Stef777
    Sorry to get off topic ;) I know he's in the standard but other shiba owners always say he is tall for some reason.

But back to the GPS. Do they have a referral program? If I get one maybe you could get something out of it for referring me.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Sandra - Jake is actually the same exact measurements as Koji.

I had a question about the battery- how often do you find yourself changing it? They said something like once a month- is that true?

Thanks for the quick write up!
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Ah that clarified the whole battery thing. For some reason I thought you had to physically change the battery- charging is much better idea and it's good that they give notification when it's running low.

My only real "hang up" now is the yearly fee. It's somewhat steep- what are your feelings? I am leaning towards it I just wish it was slightly less per year

Jake is a big boy. He's also pretty leggy. But he's done growing now at 27lbs 16-17in. He was already at 15 when he was a couple months old as puppy lol. I'm enrolling him in a K9 nosework class this coming January. It just looked like so much fun! I appreciate all your info and videos in that thread.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Thanks. That's really not too bad. I thought the fee was the 199 alone. I think I might actually consider this!

I've also considered agility as well but I want to see how he does in nose work first.

Thanks again!
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Sandra, thank you so much for the review. Vivian (Kayla's owner) and I have been talking about GPS tracket today after Kayla got lost yesterday. It makes a lot of sense for peace of mind.
    Nami is not much of a bolter, but you never know..she does like squirells and other dogs...
    @lockshi3 I was actually looking into nosework training as well, but missed it in the beginning of november...hopefully we can join the next class... :) are you going to a trainer in NJ?
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @vnovikova yes they are having saturday classes mid January at K9dergarten in JC. the trainer is "dog spelled forward" - it just opened up if you're interested! also it's on a saturday - isn't too too much of a haul from brooklyn! :)
  • @sandra888 I have watched all of your videos :) they are great!!! Also, thank you for the info on the GPS tracker. We are strongly considering it!

@lockshi3 hey thanks for the info! our puppy kindergarden trainer is actually certified in nosework too and is offering classes in Brooklyn. I'm not sure when the next class is going to be as she just started teaching one in the beginning of this month...I really think this will be a great activity for the winter months, when pups won't be getting out as much.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @vnovikova oh, cool! you'll have to let me know how it goes!
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Thanks for the update!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Thanks for the update Sandra. Is this the first time you noticed it not working the way it's supposed to? I'm thinking about buying it today but I don't want to be disappointed either.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I actually just bought it. LOL.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I agree. It seems to be the best on the market. I'm going to give it a try- it already shipped out today! If everything runs smoothly, it's such a small price to pay for that one time he might get loose.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Got mine in the mail today and set it all up. I'm going to test it out tonight on a rather long walk. I'll see how quickly/frequently we receive updates, and I'll also try locating him from the website on my iPhone and then again to see how long it takes.

I love the way the tracker looks. Nicely made product!
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    So I've been using it with every walk. I've tested out the track and location features from my phone (iPhone people, they now have an app!) the only concerning thing is, mine never tells me when he leaves the tagg zone? Everytime we have gone for a walk I never get that notification. I'm pretty sure the way it's supposed to work is to let me know that? I'm thinking I'm going to restart everything and if that doesn't work I'll call Tagg.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I never put it in trip mode- I think according to the guide it's supposed to alert me within 10 min when he goes out of the zone.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Ok. After having it for 2 weeks I've been pretty pleased

At first, only the track and locate worked well (not the notification when he leaves the zone)

Then I fiddled around with unplugging, shutting off etc and Everytime we go out on a walk I am notified he is out of the zone (like it should). It does seem a little buggy since I had the same problem as Sandra. But it is working fine now and I hope it continues to. Hopefully this is something they can fix in a over the air charging station update.

And now that the iPhone app is out, certainly makes it worthwhile to have!
  • tkfushtkfush
    @sandrat888 and @lockshi3 I was hoping to ask for another update? We are looking into this product for Yuki and read over everyone's comments but wanted to follow up with you as to if you are still pleased with this product?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • tkfushtkfush
    Great! Thanks for the update!
  • This looks worth looking into. I am also curious about the Garmin DC-40 and Astro220 combo--but this would be more for hiking/camping scenarios vs. escapes from the house.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @tkfush I absolutely love mine. I've had it for about 2-3 months. Only issues occurred in the first week. Haven't has them since. It really is a great product.
  • tkfushtkfush
    I told my husband that as soon as we get our pet tracker, we are going to play hide and seek in our neighborhood! Me and Yuki will hide and my husband will have to find us! Thanks for everyone's feedback!
  • LosechLosech
    @jimmyMTRY I'd like to get one of those sometime soon. I know of several people who have them for their hunting dogs and they love them.
    However, they are not like these other trackers in the thread. They have a short battery life (up to 17 hours, I think?) and limited range, so if your dog goes out of range or gets loose for long enough, you won't find them with it. They are still very good things to have though, especially for hiking/off-leash stuff.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • KitsuKitsu
    I don't have the money to make this purchase at the moment with moving and all. But when I'm settled in and have the puppy's basic stuff and any other needed things this will be at the top of my list.

Just to do a little math for some people, to try to convince you if you're on the fence. (I cannot say how well this thing functions but based on other reviews I think it is worth it.) Bear in mind that only less than 20% of dogs that go missing are returned to their owners.

At about $7.95 a month for the GPS service it would cost $1,431 to have service for 15 years. That's about the cost of a new Shiba, but it wouldn't be the family member you've had with you all those many years. It really isn't that much money when it really comes down to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)