For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Young Puppy - Exercise Options?
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I'm talking 8-10 weeks old puppies who haven't had all their rounds of shots yet. Since he isn't fully protected, he must be indoors and I can't really take him out on walks yet. Plus, the collars/harnesses I bought him don't fit yet :( Haha

I usually just let him run around in our room - he's developed a habit of running under our bed where we can't really control him. Other than that, we have a pretty empty hallway in this apartment complex where my girlfriend lives. I usually do some suicide drills with him and he runs and chases me. Until he gets bored and just runs the other way down the hallway, making me chase him. Lol.

But aside from these options, any other suggestions?? Chew toys and etc don't seem to tire him out as much.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • AnnaAnna
    Do you have friends with healthy, vaccinated dogs? I bring my pup to a friend's house who has a fenced in back yard and he can run around with her two dogs. He sleeps like a log when we get home, haha.

When we're home, though, I play a lot of tug and fetch. I have a toy with a squeaker and that crinkly material inside that he loves, so I'll just swing it around the floor for him to chase, then tug/shake it when he's got it, and when he lets go I throw it across the room or down my entry hall area. It's not a super big space, but it's far enough for a running puppy to get tired out after a few hours (if I stop playing, he'll continue chewing the toys, then fall asleep after a while).

He also loves any sort of toy with ropey/stringy bits, like the rope bones, or stuffed toys with a rope knot hanging off, or a stuffed lion with a ropey mane.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    My girlfriend does have two family dogs back at home. I'm a little worried to expose him to them just yet, he's rather small compared to those two. One's a Malamute/Collie mix and one's an English Bulldog. They are both healthy and up to date on vaccinations - but isn't it still risky?
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • AnnaAnna
    I don't think it's that risky. Puppy kindergarten classes start at 8-12 weeks old, so lots of puppies there would only have their first set of shots.

That was recommended by my vet. My guy starts puppy class on the 29th. He'll be just shy of 11 weeks old then and will only have his first set of shots (plus the kennel cough vaccine), and the vet said that was fine. I mentioned letting him play with other dogs or inviting friends with dogs over, and he said that's great as well, especially with a Shiba who needs as much socialization starting as early as possible.

In regards to the size, just keep a close eye and stay nearby. So far Hammond has played with a massive Chow mix, a Wheaten Terrior, and a Shih Tzu and done fine. The terrier has definitely plowed over him and sent him tumbling head over tail, but he springs right up and goes back to chasing her.

I mean, just be absolutely sure that the dogs you expose him to are friendly, socialized, and current on all vaccines and it should be okay. Or at least that's what I've been told by several sources.

My breeder didn't even mind that we brought the Shih Tzu with us to pick the puppy up. She let him run around her property with the mother, sister, and my puppy.
  • AnnaAnna
    Hahaha, "terrior". She's much too mellow to be a terrier terror. XD
  • MayamaMayama
    Definitely sign up for some puppy class. Besides the exercise, the socialization is much more important. Waiting till he gets all the shots will be too late.

You can also teach him how to fetch. Even if he doesn't bring the ball back, he'll probably still go chase after it. If you don't want to go fetch it yourself, you can have your gf stand at the other end and throw the ball back and forth.

Another option is to play the "come" game. You and your gf can each have a some treats in hand and stand on the opposite side of the hall. Take turns calling his name and giving him a small treat when he comes.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • BootzBootz
    Laser pointer.......and....fish on a stick (cat toy), i saw it in the dollar store and thought my puppies might be interested. When I took it out they went crazy. They LOVE to chase it. I let them catch it once in a while, enforce the leave it command, and reward them when they drop the fish.

They get tired after 15~30 mins of playing with the two mentioned.
  • XabiXabi
    I have read experts' opinions about keeping your puppy at home for the first month, but my advice is to take that with a grain of salt. This same expert advocates getting your puppy to meet 100 people within that first month as well. My vet did not give me that advice, but looked me in the eye and said, "you need to start socializing this puppy...NOW." So I took my guy everywhere (pet stores, happy hour/restaurant patios, Home Depot/Lowes, etc). We definitely signed up for puppy classes (which were about 20min instruction and 40min play time), and I took him over to play with friends pets who I knew were fully immunized/vaccinated. We did stay away from dog parks, though he did get a lot of casual interaction with dogs on frequent walks. I personnally advocate getting your puppy out there more so than keeping him locked up, but saying that, it's your personal choice. You should go with your instincts. I do think that our work on socialization has helped my puppy immensely, as he's REALLY interested in all different kinds of people and dogs,.
    X & I signature smaller
  • I agree, definitely puppy classes. Luckily my vet has a puppy socialization class so I got him started with that right away. It was great since they only accept puppies that they checked themselved so I felt safer having him socialize with pups in his class. It was so nice watching him play with other dogs. He just had his first puppy class last weekend. Now he's a busy social butterfly with his puppy classes plus his puppy social as well. I also do use the laser pointer with him, play fetch indoors, and he lovea those frilly toys with gazillion things hanging. Before he started with his puppy social class, I started him with training right away. By his first week with me he knew how to sit and lay down. Now he has been with me for a month and a half he knows how to come, sit, stay, down, shake, crawl, and leave it. Now he's like a super star in his classes and Im a proud mama watching him show off. Plus, training does exercise his mind. My trainer said that since shibas are smart dogs you do need to exercise their mind and not just their body. I know it sucks not being able to do much due to the vaccinations but there are a lot of alternatives out there than walking and hiking while you are waiting for his shots to be completed.

I am no expert with Shibas but that is what I have done so far and it seems to be going well so far. I just need more ideas on how to keep him occuppied. I feel like I start boring him sometimes hahah :)
  • autenbautenb
    Laser pointer works great for us. I socialized Red from the day we brought him home. My dad's other dogs are all vaccinated, and most dogs aren't "puppy aggressive" they'll see him as a pup, and let him be. Maybe after a few good nose-bumps and rolls on the ground, but it's all a part of the introduction. Red was going up and down steps in the house in less than a month... so around 12-14wks. That's what I use to really wear him out even these days. I play fetch on the stairs, with me at the top. I invited friends over and have them come in and out of the condo so that he gets used to it.
    OH.... and make sure you introduce them to the vaccuum at a young age. Else they may fear it later. No chasing the pup with it, but having it in the room, and periodically turning it on really helps.
  • codycody
    I just got a laser pointer and my dog loves it. I can use it at night from the patio and shoot it on my back lawn, dog gets a really good run in after our night walk.
    It would also be great for a darker hallway.
  • Cody: I tried that fun trick as well with my dog and it kept him busy chasing but after looking up about the possible disorders dogs can develop from chasing this seemingly harmless dot, I stopped. I know people have been debating about this but the general logic to why its bad makes sense in my opinion so just sharing that.
  • LeoJDHu: I was a lot more comfortable socializing my dog when he was a pup with older healthy dogs and I made him start socializing with my friends husky when he was 6 weeks old and other dogs as well, wouldn't have done it any other way… my dog in return have not had any issues with dogs we've run into.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)