For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Heart Murmur? *Update 9/27 - Diagnosis!*
  • Post edited by Angelofmusic720 at 2011-09-27 21:58:18
  • SayaSaya
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • Our puppy has a small heart murmur, which led me to ask a bunch of questions. As you say, heart murmurs are relatively common in puppies, and especially in spitz dog puppies (from what I was told). They normally go away or at least improve as the puppy ages. Really, the best thing to do is check with your vet. I would think your vet should have said something if he noticed it at the checkup, so it may have improved significantly since Melon was a puppy
  • When we first got Ginger she had a mumur. When we took her back for her second check up, it had disapeared. Ginger is my first and only dog, so I can't speak for other dogs, but both of my cats have heart mumurs that never disapeared and they are living healthy, normal lives. I think it's very commom for just about all pups to have a mumur and most go away. Let us know how it goes!
  • Great news then!
  • Great news!
    Post edited by vnovikova at 2011-09-07 20:16:05
  • SayaSaya
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • catloreecatloree
  • LosechLosech
    That really sucks. I've never had a dog with a heart murmur or other serious health problem. I know she's going to have a good life with you though, even if it's shorter than it should be.
  • TengaiTengai
    Sorry to hear about the lingering murmur. Never heard of a diagnosis like that without having an echo done though. When a doctor or anyone listens to the heart with a stethescope and hear a murmur, they are hearing a sound that may or may not be a structural problem with the heart. Most are not. Most likely what your dog has is a functional murmur, meaning no structural problems especially if there are no symtoms. For your piece of mind, what a few months and go to a cardiologist to get an echo done.
  • RorsRors
    My boy Akira developed a heart murmur from about the age of 12, We had him on vetmedin (or something like that to medicate the congestion that results, It gave him a new lease on life and great quality of health he reach the age of 15.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • catloreecatloree
  • That really sucks, but I'm glad for her that she's wound up with an owner who's going to give her a great life.
  • I'm sorry to hear abut Melon. Glad you got a second opinion though so that you can monitor her.
  • As far as determining a grade of murmur, many vets have trouble determining degree and the exact issue (as you have experienced so far). The eco is the most reliable source of information.

You might want to fully know what the problem is so that you can reduce potential stress for your dog before severe symptoms occur. All the symptoms the vet describes are heading into later stage, in my opinion much too late to get with a program to help the dog as far as potential longevity with this type of disease.

If your dog has a type of aortic stenosis often there are very few symptoms until the dog drops dead. (I have had it happen and it is quite shocking to deal with). 7 years is optimistic, living three or four years is pretty much the reality for a stenosis dog, if no treatment/meds are provided. Not trying to be a bummer, but feel you should know fully what the situation may be. A vet cardiologist will be better able to lay it out for you, so you know fully what you are dealing with and how to manage it so you can offer the best quality of life for your Shiba adding more time maybe. I could be completely wrong which would be great .... for sure the cardiologist will know best : )

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-09-14 14:32:20
  • sunyatasunyata
  • LosechLosech
    That's good to hear! That is isn't bad that is.
  • catloreecatloree
  • That is a relief. So glad you now know exactly the issue is in moving forward : )
    Getting a second opinion from the right source is oh so helpful.

Snf

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)