For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does anyone's dog actually like Nylabones
  • This is probably very trivial, but I was wondering this yesterday as I was clearing toys out of Chibi's crate

Chibi is now the second dog I've had that has basically ignored this as a chew toy. He's more than happy to chew on every other toy we've gotten him, but shows no interest in nylabones.

Our last dog was the same.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found their dog actually likes these things.
  • LosechLosech
    Heh, nope. Conker will "chew" on it, but only for like, 30 seconds then he ignores them. I even had the flavored kind, and he still doesn't care. That's fine with me though. I actually prefer to give him things like bully sticks, trachea and ears to chew on.
  • Yes it has helped for some really crazy chewers who need to exercise their jaws. However, the down side is the fact the product can cause slab fractures on teeth. This is an expensive repair.

As Losech suggests it probably is best to give bully sticks, trachea or lambs ears if your dog can digest them. Other alternative is the kong products that can be stuffed. Avoid hooves they can also cause fractures and gum cuts for some dogs.

Snf
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Our 3 dogs like to chew on Nylabones but since one recently had a slab fracture, we limit their chew time. We are not going to buy them anymore. Instead we get them Marrow Chews by Yuppie Puppy. They are durable nylon bones with jerky filling.
  • SayaSaya
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Out of my three dogs and many fosters I have only had 1 dog that really liked the nylabone.
  • lucylulucylu
    We bought one when we first got Lucy. She didn't touch it until about a week ago. Now she's chewed it to nothing.
  • catloreecatloree
  • HamletHamlet
    Both Hammy and Jules are really big fans of Nylabones, but we only buy the huge durabone kind. Otherwise they destroy them in about five seconds. Hammy is a TOUGH chewer and any edible chews or bones (including pork rolls, bully sticks, pig ears, etc) are gone in less than 20 minutes. Durabone nylabones and himalayan chews are the only things that last for more than a day or two.
  • Nope. Zume ignores every Nylabone we've ever given her (we got a pack a loooong time ago). We tried them when she was a puppy and the best we ever got was the edible chicken flavored ones, but that stopped after a couple months and now completely ignores them. Actually, a lot of the things we gave her as a puppy doesn't like anymore or as much. Her tastes must be changing.
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko loved her nylabone, it was one of the only toys she would interact with when we first got her. It took her about 2 months to warm up and open up to us and playing with the other toys. Anyways, I got rid of the nylabone because as she chewed and chewed eventually the toy started cutting up her gums...
  • MayamaMayama
    Maya loves the Dura Chew ones, but she swallows the pieces and throws up at night if she ate too much. The only reason I give it to her is because she's on a limited diet for allergy test, so I can't give her bones, raw hide or bully sticks, and if she doesn't get anything to chew on for too long, she'll start chewing on our dry wall. We usually only let her have it for 5-10 minutes and make sure to pick up any broken pieces on the floor. She just threw up again last night, so I'm kind of hesitant to give it to her anymore. :(
  • Shogun does not really like nylabones, i have never seen him chewing it more than 1 minute or so. He is only interested in it when i cut it into small pieces and he does not have to chew too hard and can immediately eat it.
    I thought he is kinda like me, i also do not like to eat troublesome food like crabs, or any food that i have to struggle just to eat like i have to open the shells or strip the outer skin like prawns, etc.
  • ugh...i thought nylabone is something like this man made bones that dogs can eat...because in this country where i am living right now, there are these types of bones that has almost the same brand name, nylon or ny..something and the bones can be eaten, they came in two forms, the hard ones and the flexible ones that is used to clean teeth...
  • I was referring to the plastic (nylon?) ones originally. It's interesting to see that there are some dogs who do like these. Chibi generally is more interested in bully sticks and antlers and occasionally string toys. It must just be individual preference. After all, I can't imagine they'd manufacture or sell these things if nobody bought them
  • AraksAraks
    My cousin's 6 1/2 month old puppy loves the plastic ones. She's already gone through a couple of them, and they really helped her during teething.
  • Kenzo started throwing up little pieces, so I took it away from him. D: I think the throw up was partially because he stole a grape from me. He's sad without something to chew on, but I'll get him something soon.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Zach has two puppy ones...he will pick it up once in a while but never chews on it. Its the one toy/chewy he doesn't show much interest in.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    brewster loves them but he favors real bones over anything
  • konpeitokonpeito
  • hkfirewolfhkfirewolf
  • kaysejeankaysejean
    Kona also a big fan of his Nylabone as well. We dont give the edibles very often, mostly because Kona goes through them so fast, but he'll spend quite awhile on his regular nylabone. He has other chews, but that one is kind of his favorite.
  • deerparkdeerpark

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)