For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
We Need Some Advice...
  • BradA1878BradA1878

(sorry for the long post) 

Next weekend has the potential to be packed full of "adjustments" for our pack, and I just wanted all of your input on how we should handle it, and what we should do to prepare.

For this advice lets assume the worst... Lets assume next weekend Ahi will be having surgery on both her rear knees, and then we will be picking up Lani the next day.

While we are gone the rest of the pack will be boarded (because the lady who would stay with them is in Mexico). So they will not be here when we get home.

Our concerns is that Ahi may not be feeling great, and this will effect the pack structure since she is usually the welcoming party for new pack mates - she has always been good about this (maybe a little to excited sometimes tho).

So how would you handle this? How would you introduce the dogs when they return from boarding? How would you handle keeping Ahi's excitement down so she doesn't hurt herself?

The initial introduction is what I am concerned with... our dogs will be back from boarding and be HYPER and Ahi will be under the weather.

----

Things to consider:

- Our fence guy will be installing our fence in two weeks, so there will be no where for us to go and have them off leash, this will all have to happen in the house.

- We have gates we can use to section off rooms.

- As mentioned before, Ahi may not be feeling well (if she doesnt end up needing surgery and is feeling fine things will go MUCH better). 

- Hilo, Loa & Kona will be fine, but we will need to control their excitement.

- The Shibas will be an issue and will, unfortunately, be in a pen a lot of the time in the start of the week after next weekend until they have excepted their new buddy. (especially after Kaia's "tude" with Sora)

----

Our plan is to get home early Sunday and keep the rest of the pack boarded until Monday. This will give Lani and Ahi time to adjust a bit.

When we get the rest of the pack we will gate off my office with Lani in it and let the other pups say hi to Ahi. Then we will put the pack away and introduce them one at a time.

We will probably try to give all the boarded pups a walk before they come in, but this may be easier said than done.

----

What are all of your thoughts and suggestions?

• RomiRomi

I think you guys' got it down pretty good.  I would introduce Lani to the friendliest of your pack first and then move on to the other dogs who are not so accepting.  Hopefully Ahi won't need to get the surgery so everything will be somewhat easier.  But, If Ahi does end up getting surgery, I would keep them away from eachother until Ahi feels better, there might be a possibility of Ahi not feeling well and getting moody and possibly snapping and Lani just because. 

If things don't go as well with certain pups, I would try walking Lani and the other pup who isn't as accepting together and hopefully that will calm things down.  Also, I think its a great Idea that you guys will have one night with her and just ahi to adjust.  I think it will help a lot for you guys to bond with her and make her feel safe and comfortable in her new home.  Keeping her in your office with a fence is a good idea too, that way the other pups can smell her and see her through it but if anything goes wrong, the fence will keep all the pups separated and safe. 

I think you will have no problem with your pack, since they see you as the pack leader and respect you.  On the other hand if it's Lani who is not accepting of one of the dogs, there might be a slight problem since you haven't established a bond with her yet.  But, from your posts about her she seems like a very sweet dog, so you probably don't have to worry about it, but it doesn't hurt to still be prepared for the unpredictables.  Anywho, i don't know if this helped or not, I've only introduced 1 dog to my pack so yeah.  I hope everything goes well and have a safe trip!!!

Post edited by Romi at 2008-04-04 18:11:45
  • hondruhondru
    Maybe you could introduce them at the boarding place, since it's neutral and I'm sure they have lots of different fenced off areas.  Do they allow that?  
    -Heidi, with Rakka (shikoku) and Sosuke (kai ken)
  • grandemugrandemu
    I would wear the dogs out - take them on the kind of walk that leaves them sprawled out on the floor as soon as you take the leash off. When all the dogs have the edge off, they might be more accepting of new things - maybe less reactive.
  • sujewelsujewel

An introduction on neutral territory is a great idea and even better when done on a walk. A very, very long walk, as Tommy suggested. One person with Lani, the other with everyone else (or some of your dogs) - hopefully you can have someone help you out too. Once all the dogs start focusing on the walk, add a dog or two with Lani.

I hate to say it too, it may be a good thing that this is timed with Ahi's surgery. Dogs tend to want to be left alone when they're not feeling good (at least Mika and my cocker, Alexis, were like that) and other dogs can sense it. So you might not have to deal will the usual 'Ahiness'. It's also a good thing that they can't run around the yard willy nilly - because your fenceless, imo. That puts the pups in a more controlled environment to acclimate and by the time you do have a fenced in yard, it will be pack territory.

Besides that, Lani should be pretty social and have a really good idea of the 'order' (for lack of a better word) of things.

• brandon_wbrandon_w
    I'm just here to wish you guys the best of luck with everything.  I have one dog, I can't give you any advice on introducing the 100th into your pack. ;)
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    thanx for the help guys.... i will ask to see if we can use the boarding facility as "neutral" ground... otherwise we are probably out of luck on that one.
  • hondruhondru
    Out of curiosity, how have you introduced your dogs up until now?  Did you keep them seperated for a while?  If so, how?
    -Heidi, with Rakka (shikoku) and Sosuke (kai ken)

• I wish you all the luck in the world, with the exception of any luck I may need this week.

Hopefully next weekend will consist of all of us sharing stories about how we worried for nothing! 

• RomiRomi

This is going to be an exciting week!  Jessica and Brad are getting new pups and Ninja will have his first behavioral training!  Good Luck to all!

• sujewelsujewel
    Kewl, Romi. Let us know how Ninja does.
  • This has been an exciting few weeks! Four new puppies for our group and Ninja's behavior work. I think things are going to be anti-climactic after this. ;-)
  • sujewelsujewel
    And one new kitty...NyxWink.
  • sujewelsujewel

Wait....isn't it 5?

Joey, Kuma, Lani, Himiko and Himiko's littermate. 

• Oh crap. I was off by two. :-( Thanks for fixing that for me Barbara!
  • Himiko's sisters name is Mura. FYI

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)