For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How to find a good breeder
  • okironokiron
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
  • If I may, I would like to take the reigns on the the rescue article. I will start assembling some stuff this weekend.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-03-22 23:43:26
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • hondruhondru
  • RomiRomi
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
  • I would think that isn't really an indicator of quality at all. Yes, it is a good sign that they are retired by six, but there is so much else to consider it is impossible to tell just from that.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
  • How far away is it? If it isn't too far a trip, I think it would be prudent of you to go visit before you make your decision. If you are going to invest love, time, and money is this dog then you should make sure you know what you are getting. If this breeder is hesitant to allow you to visit or isn't willing to show you the conditions that the dogs are kept in, then I would say they are probably not reputable and you should be cautious about adopting the dog. Have they shown any interest in you? Have they asked about your lifestyle? Have they asked about the suitability of your home for their dog? If they aren't interested in knowing any of that, I would also raise a red flag.
  • okironokiron
  • RomiRomi
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
  • Jennifer, it sounds like you've made up your mind and from what you've said, I would have to agree with you. I can understand that fostering is a passion of yours. But even if you can't give that Shiba a home, you can still actively try to find it one. If the breeder doesn't want to pay the surrender fee to give it to the rescue group, maybe you can offer to pay it. There are many ways to help besides bringing a dog into your home. I'm sure you'll find them just as rewarding!
  • okironokiron
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    this is a helpful link

http://www.tengaishibas.com/files/A_Reputable_Breeder2.doc
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I will not comment on specific breeders, but I will say that anyone looking for ANY breed of dog needs to search the following by parents and cert number etc for medical history. If the breeder you select has not tested their animals or does not retest every 4 yrs or so then move on. Do your homework on the medical search. A CHIC designation for a particular dog is a good sign that they have covered more than one area.... Eyes, & hips, etc etc

http://www.offa.org/

If the breeder you are interested in is not able to supply the ids for the parents to allow a search and omits certification copy of the medical for hips or eyes in a take home folder when you decide to purchase including the vet name, think very carefully before putting your money down. Spiffy marketing, big ads and gushy photos mean nothing, its all fair game when you look on the internet or go to a magazine. No dog should be bred before testing and until somewhere around/after 2 yrs of age.

You as the purchaser can put more pressure on the breed club by requesting that it be standard policy for those listed to make the information available. http://www.shibas.org/

I suggest sticking with NSCA breeders although like any of the Japanese breeds you will probably will need to be placed on a waiting list many months in advance. Nothing about health is a 100% guarantee in life, but reducing the odds is at least half the battle.

Snf
  • NekopanNekopan
    On choosing your own puppy from the litter: most reputable breeders will not let you pick your own pup. Instead, they ask you give them some idea as to your lifestyle and expectations for your dog, and they choose a puppy that will suit that. After all, they're the ones that have been around for those 8 weeks, not you.
  • Let me began by saying what a wonderful, informative article you guys posted! ^_^ But I have a question. My best friend (a dog lover like myself) has told me that a friend of hers has a pair of shiba inus she breeds, and that she actually GIVES AWAY the puppies for free. Her friend has offered a puppy before, but she refused because of her living arrangements. She knows how much I want a Shiba Inu and has said once the pair has puppies this year she will ask for one for me. I'm not getting my hopes up because my friend doesn't always come through on what she says, but she won't give me the breeder's contact information saying that the girl may get mad that she blabbed to me about her giving away expensive dogs for free. What my friend has told me is that the girl keeps all her animals inside, that she also breeds aerdelle terriers (sorry, if it's misspelled) andhas like ten cats. She says the girl is very good with her dogs and that they are all very well behaved. Should I ask more questions, let it go, or try to get the girl's contact information? Thanks.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    My honest opinion is let it go.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • Thank you.
  • Stay away like the plague.
  • lol. Okay.
  • read this
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • this is actually in the articles section under the help tab already. maybe we'll make some of the current sticky's articles to clean everything up a littl
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • lindsaytlindsayt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)