For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas on Craigslist
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    That's sad. I hate people who only enjoy the puppy stages. I mean you have to be rather heartless to love on something and throw it away when you get bored or it stop being interesting. I hope there's doggie karma for these sick SOBs.
  • WTH is wrong with people. Can you just return babies once they get older?
  • What the Fudge!? That's just the stupidest thing ever! It's just sick.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    pisses me off.. wish I was on the west coast as I'd grab him up in a minute.
  • ShibaMamaShibaMama
    "We recently had another puppy, therefore we have no more room for him in our house hold!"

Are they f'n kidding me????? Poor Koda is being kicked out because they chose to get another puppy???
    That makes me soooooooooo mad!!!!

There's a special place in h-ll for people like this.

Unreal!!
  • Poor dog! That's just so sad!!!
  • ericw2000ericw2000
    I'd take that dog in a heartbeat if I could get it to Chicago.

I've had a stressful week at work and with a family crisis, and the dogs seems to know and they don't get into things as much. Still, my shiba Rocky is a thief and takes things that don't belong to him. I looked at him and thought, if these dogs weren't so cute, they wouldn't stand a chance :) Instead of getting frustrated I end up laughing at his expression and antics, and he never seems to stop thinking.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • jujeejujee
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Horrible. I was watching Animal Cops today and watching dogs who were left behind and abandoned and I was thinking, what if they were human babies???? To me puppies/dogs are the same as babies/children and I would never imagine giving up a child of mine like that.
  • misobentomisobento
    Here are two listed in the Chicagoland area. older puppies too.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pet/1841934386.html

Date: 2010-07-13, 11:12PM CDT
    Reply to: comm-rrwnb-1841934386@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i have a 6 month old shiba inu extremely independent , needs lots of attention and love that we unfortunately cant give to him , he is a leash dog or must have a fenced in yard i would not recommend small children only mature children to handle him he is fixed , papers , up to date on all shots and going to be an excellent dog to those who have lots of time serious inquires only rehoming fee will apply

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pet/1838731128.html

Date: 2010-07-12, 11:28AM CDT
    Reply to: comm-rq7hr-1838731128@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a beautiful Shiba Inu who is only 9 months old. I love her to death, but I live with my parents, and our family dog is much older and this little rascal is always picking on her. Her name is Mocha. She is potty trained. She needs a nice loving family who has a BIG yard, and possibly no other dogs so she can be spoiled. She is a great puppy with a 3 year shot. There is an adoption fee. If you are interested or have any questions, feel free to email me.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-07-23 20:59:12
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:19:14
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:18:26
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:17:30
  • angnarusangnarus
    Curlytails, it's awesome that you do that to help dogs. Advertising on Craigslist is free and might be the only way people can find a new home for their dog, but from what I know animal ads are prohibited on Craigslist and anyone with an account can flag them as such. It sounds to me those people are more interested in the rehoming fee than finding a good home for their dogs, that's why they're not taking them to the humane society or rescue organizations. They probably paid at least that much for their dogs in the first place. Sad. If anyone else has other suggestions on ways to help like Curlytails, I would be willing to do what I can too.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • SayaSaya
    I get tons of comments like I want to get one and shiba inu are so cute and small they'd be easy to take care of so I always give them the bad and the good of shiba owner ship and I tell them to join this forum and go to meet ups before making a decision.

People just don't realize how much work I put into Saya to get her to listen well and behave in public and socialization I did they just see the finish product and think all shiba inu are like that.. pretty sad.. =(
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-21 22:04:48
  • SayaSaya
    Aww! Poor boy sad to see his tail down. =(
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-21 22:08:05
  • emmyemmy
    Marshfield, Missouri
    http://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/1877743338.html

My wife rescued a female Shiba Inu. She was in really bad shape and pretty much skin and bones. She's been wormed, and is somewhat house-broken. I say somewhat, because she's had a few accidents in the house, but mainly knows when to go out the doggie door. She's very sweet, but needs a lot of one-on-one handling. We have two dogs and a cat as it is, and she just doesn't get the work she really needs. She's never nipped or seemed hostile, but my we feel she's well enough that it's time she find a good home.
  • I just hate this. WTF is wrong with people that they say they're moving, and thus "can no longer keep" a 7 year old dog? One that they know has issues and will likely not find another home? So instead, just sentence an older dog to death?

Some people don't deserve to have dogs in the first place.
  • I'm with you shibamistress, dogs are not like a piece of Ikea furniture that you can discard whenever it's time to move.
  • JudyJudy
    Rescue is getting bombarded with requests too. We've had quite a few request to rehome 10 and 12 yrs old, one with a bad leg so that it can't take walks.
  • We were at a show and met a woman who used to seriously breed a long time ago (a bunch of her dogs are pictured in one of the shiba inu books) when her health was better. She had just adopted a sweet, sociable thirteen year old, wonderfully behaved, because no owners were moving and renting instead of owning. They were going to put him down though he had no health issues, just because they weren't going to take him and he was older. She adopted him so he wouldn't be euthanized. I think Jessica has said it before: lots of lovely, healthy dogs are put down all the time because no one wants to take them and there isn't enough room at most places.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • JudyJudy
    I live in PA and courtesy list shibas and jindos on the Mid Atlantic Shiba Rescue site. I'm also on the national shiba rescue list, so get emails about shibas from all over. In my post above I was referring to shibas.
  • emmyemmy
    I sometimes think about getting another one, but I have decided to wait about a year or so to make an additional commitment. They are addictive and there are so many adorable rescues out there!
  • The problem is that most breeders whose dogs get put in rescue are backyard breeders. It isn't always true as some owners are irresponsible enough not to try that route (or for that matter a shelter route, a member here has a brother who breeds who was horrified to find that some owner abandoned their aged shiba who was just running loose. I think his name was the secondary one on the microchip which is how he found out).

As far as I know most ethical breeders have a contract clause that should the dog ever need to be given up, that they must be contacted first and given first right of refusal. Our breeder in fact checks up on us to see how Violet is doing, if he hasn't heard from us in a while.

The issue is more about large scale, unethical operations, and uninformed owners who take in dogs that they are unprepared to handle. When they get their dogs from a pet shop or backyard breeder , they are more likely to have trouble dealing with puppies that have a higher possibility of behavior issues (witness the two littermates here given up to the Midwest shiba rescue). The solutions really lie in legislation and information. As it is now, rescues are hit with the bulk of the burden and ethical breeders are lumped in with those who breed for profit.
  • JudyJudy
    In doing rescue, I've had some people who seem to forget that they have a contract with their breeder. I always ask where they purchased the shiba and if it's from an ethical breeder, I tell them to contact them and then I also contact the breeder. I just worked with one breeder who gave me permission to work with the owner on finding a new home. If one wasn't found in a given time period, the shiba would then be returned.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:16:02
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-08-29 06:32:22
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2010-09-15 08:14:33
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • jujeejujee
  • emmyemmy
    What is the "traditional color" supposed to mean?
  • emmyemmy
    There are assorted purebred and designer mutt pups available from a local rescue here. Says in the ad that they were surrendered by a breeder who needed to make room for new puppies and didn't have buyers yet for these. I guess it's good that the demand didn't meet the supply so maybe the breeder will settle down with the breeding. But, seriously....these got too old to sell (at like 10 weeks) and so they just gave them away and moved on with the business. Ridiculous.
  • The one about having to give up the three year old Shiba to protect the 18 year old (18 years old!) was really sad. That's the only one I"ve seen so far that looked like a legitimate reason (to me) for trying to rehome a dog....though rescue, would, of course, be a better choice than Craig'slist.....

I was in a similar place a few years ago, trying to rehome my female Shiba since the fights between my two had turned nearly lethal....I put her up on rescue for awhile, but I rejected everyone who was interested in her (none were even remotely possible) and I'm so happy to say that I still have her and she's just in heaven with the new puppy, and I still have my male too, even if he does have to be isolated from the other dogs.
  • SayaSaya
    The barter one is nuts!

I feel sorry for all these dogs especially the ones giving up their older dogs. looks like the one with the B&T removed the ad..
  • curlytails- I responded to an ad in craigslist locally and got a wonderful female shiba that was being given up by a very nice family as the kids had developed allergies. They had rescued her from a kill shelter in Miami 8 months earlier. Just wanted to let you know there are still some "good" people out there trying to do the right thing. The family had actually tried to find and contact a breeder but there are no "real" breeders in Florida. When I originally called I had asked about a rehoming fee and he had only asked that the person donate to the local shelter and give her a good home. She has in the 5 days weve had her become a wonderful member of our family.
  • ohh I never meant to say that all on Craigs list were evil I was just letting you know curlytails that I had gotten the dog from someone that was legitimately trying to rehome their dog. The dog came from a kill shelter and he wasnt going to take her back there. The comment about the breeders in Florida is just that there are NO breeders in Florida. When I first started looking for a Shiba I wanted to contact breeders. The only thing I found were a couple of BYB. If there are breeders they have done a good job of not making themselves known. Sorry to offend.
  • Craigslist is hardly an ideal way to place a dog but I'm sure some people don't have much choice, especially if their circumstances dictate that they must place the dog in a hurry. Granted, some of the Craigslist listings are deplorable, but it's certainly obvious then that the Shiba is in need. There are many legitimate reasons why someone would need to rehome a pet, too. It could be illness or having to move to an apartment where pets aren't allowed. Unfortunately, no kill shelters have limited capacity and can't necessarily take in every dog in need. The same is true with rescue organizations, whether they are breed oriented or general animal rescues. Often, the number of animals far exceeds the number of available foster homes. Sometimes, the rescues can only focus on saving animals in kill shelters.

Curlytails, I think it's great that you post the Craigslist Shibas here. Perhaps some will find homes through forum members. If nothing else, it serves as a reminder of how many Shibas are out there in need. Maybe someone will be inspired to choose adoption rather than purchasing from a pet store / puppy mill.
  • emmyemmy
    I think that the black and tan shiba from Marshfield might be at the Humane Society in Springfield now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)