For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Indoor dogs: where should they sleep?
  • ahcollierahcollier
    My wife and I keep debating where to put our adopted treasure's bed... in the bedroom with us? (Which he seems to prefer) In the living room? Put him in the spare bathroom all by himself at night?

Since we adopted him just this past Friday on a trial basis, we don't have all his stuff like his crate. I go pick all that up this Tuesday (it's already Monday here in Tokyo). Where should we put it?

This morning is the third morning we've had him, and I discovered some signs of night-time mischief. We kept him out in the living room, outside of our bedroom last night, and in the morning I discovered chewed slippers & bits of trash from the trashcan around the kitchen. Waiting to see where the next surprise is hidden.

We live in a 20th story, 1200 sq ft, 3 bedroom apartment. (If you've never been to Tokyo, think Manhattan... this is as urban as it gets anywhere on the planet).

Where should we make/let him sleep?

Thanks, Cheers, Andy
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I wouldn't leave him by himself overnight....he'll be lonely. Dogs like to sleep with their pack (you!). I'd say let him put have a bed in your bedroom with you. he'll learn to settle down if he doesn't right away, and the other benefit is you can hear him if he starts to get into things.

My dogs take turns sleeping in the bedroom (they used to all sleep up there, but then the two Shibas had to be separated, and my old German Shepherd couldn't make it up the stairs anymore).
  • curlytailscurlytails
    We're pretty lax in our household about where the dogs sleep. But our shiba *prefers* to sleep in his own bed, at the foot of the human bed. Even if he starts out in the human bed with us (which we allow), he usually gets annoyed by our tossing and turning and will hop into his own bed eventually.

We set up a bed for our other dog too, but she prefers to sleep on the futon in my study den across from the bedroom. Yet she is the one that is willing to spend the night snuggled up against humans (we've had a couple guests over since we adopted her a few months ago, and they've all had the pleasure of cuddling up against bony basenji limbs). I think it hurts our feelings more than hers that she won't sleep in the same bedroom as the rest of us.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    I started out when my we first got our puppy having him sleep in his "house" Crate all night. He's always done fine there. Now at 9 mos I will let him sleep on the bed with us weekend nights as he tends to want to get up and play at 3 or 4 am. Tried it during the work week and after not getting much sleep it was back to the crate. The crate is not in our bedroom but in the livingroom. He never whined even when we first brought him home. He does tend to get out of bed every once in a while but I have a lot of the house blocked with a baby gate. I have woken up to hear him chomping on the bottom of the bedposts! They are so mishevious! If he really wants to go outside he will lick my toes and legs to wake me up.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Jazz sleeps wherever she wants - foot of my bed, under my head, in her crate, on her ottoman, on one of the 7 pillows that are hers around the house, my nephews futon, the couch, etc.

You are most likely to find her on my bed, in her crate, or on the ottoman at the foot of my bed.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • Did I understand that you live in highrise apartment? I would also be concerned about the windows (how well they are covered/secured), as well as where your furfriend sleeps.

As far as my dogs go, Sukoshi is my bed buddy, while Hoshi likes his bed in the kitchen, where he can watch me w/ the computer.
    Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2010-06-07 02:25:50
  • ahcollierahcollier
    Yes, it's a high rise apartment... 20th floor. The window only open a little crack from the top (hinged at the bottom) for a little air flow, but you can't even stick your hand out... very safe. The patio has a fairly high wall and an even higher glass protective barrier... but we don't let him out there unless we are with him.

I think we are going to try putting him in his crate at night, probably in the living room. I don't mind having him in the bedroom but my wife is not thrilled with that idea...

More to follow for sure...
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    why not put him in his crate, in your bedroom? Best of both worlds/compromise?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Between the three dogs...

Harley sleeps in the bed... Under the covers...

Bella sleeps either in her bed (which is in the bedroom) or at the foot of the bed, curled up next to my feet. Usually she sleeps in her bed, though... She likes to have her own space.

Nola either sleeps in her crate (which is in the kitchen currently, she gets grump if one of the other pups wakes her up) or under the bed.

I think where you want your pup to sleep later will determine where you want him to sleep now. If eventually you want him to sleep in the bedroom with you (either in bed with you or in his own bed), put him in his crate in your bedroom. If you want him to sleep elsewhere, put his crate in the room where you want him to sleep. It is definitely a very personal decision, but please keep your pup's comfort level in mind. Some dogs would much rather be in the room where you are than sleeping in a different room. And you can train him to sleep in his own bed as opposed to yours. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BEfore I use to make my pup sleep in the crate outside in the living room. Once I fully trusted that he wasn't going to go potty inside I gave him free access. Usually he ends up just sleeping next to our bed. He passes out outside sometimes then when he gets lonely he just comes into the bedroom.
  • amesylphamesylph
    Ki used to sleep in his crate every night and the crate was in my room so there wasn't any issue with him being apart from his family/pack. That was the way of it for a long time. Then he was given open crate priveledges (even though he'd usually choose to sleep in there anyway) but the bedroom door was closed, and years later he is free to roam at night (although he rarely leaves the room anyway).

Anytime he jumped on the bed I would give him the 'off' command. We are on a system where he is not allowed on the bed unless invited and he understands that pretty well at this point.
  • Personally Saru is allowed on the bed to sleep with my husband and myself. However as a puppy he was crated until he was potty trained. Once he could hold it all night he slept with us. He has a bed in our bedroom and he usually starts the night on the bed but in the morning he is on the floor somewhere sleeping. Shibas tend to adjust to your life pretty quickly, Good luck!
  • ericw2000ericw2000
    When we got Rocky, he slept the first night or two in his crate in the living room. The next night he started getting vocal and lonely, so I moved his crate upstairs next to our bed. He slept fine that first night. The next two nights it was hard to get him in the crate, and he whined a little bit when he was in there, but calmed down quickly when I spoke to him. The next night it was so hard to get him in the crate that I just put a gate by the stairs and he had the run of our bedroom. After running around and getting into things, he settled down in our bed with our other dog. He now sleeps in our bed, at the very foot, or on a dog bed on the floor at the foot of the bed.

The only time he gets into things is when I sleep late, later than he wants me to. He finds the noisiest things to chew on, or takes shoes when he knows I can hear him. On school days when the rest of the family is up early, he still wants me up. He's so darn cute and funny that it's impossible to get mad at him.
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    I think there is a big difference between letting older dogs sleep wherever and letting a puppy sleep wherever. You have already seen the loss of slippers, and if left out you will probably lose a leg to the coffee table, bits of the couch, carpets, etc. :-)

Let your puppy sleep in their crate until they are old enough and trained enough not to eat things or get into trouble. And the outcome of whether or not your dog will be able to sleep outside of a crate will depend on them.

I do not have Shibas, but two Kai Kens. My male can sleep in his bed at night, and my female for several mischevious reasons (including wanting to kill the cat) needs to sleep in her crate at night. BTW, she loves her crate and freely goes inside, but I still latch the door when I go to bed to make sure that she doesn't well kill the cat.
  • LoveMyMylieLoveMyMylie
    Doesn't matter where I put Mylie's bed. She moves it constantly... Middle of the kitchen... halfway up the stairs... wherever looks good at the moment. She naps on it constantly, but sleeps in our bed at night.
  • ShibatasticShibatastic
    Initially it was the crate to house train him. After he gained my trust, i allowed him more freedom to sleep in the ex-pen. After that, i let him sleep in my room with the door closed. Normally i take him out to walk and have last minute pottys around 10 pm. He'll come back and calm down in the room around 11:30 and falls asleep. I'll then fall asleep around 12:15 and he usually stays asleep til 7 or 8 am and then i take him out to potty once again. The most important thing is to just make sure you let them get their exercise. An apartment is fine for a shiba inu since they dont really complain about small spaces (not to be condescending) but they must get their time outside or they will be like a teenage who's been permanently grounded and will become troublesome to manage. My dog gets out every 3-4 hours for about 20-25 minutes at a time, at night we go for a 35 minute non-stop walk and that's usually enough to get him to get sleepy.
    Goodluck!
  • ahcollierahcollier
    Last night he slept on his bed beside our bed, with our bedroom door open so he could come and go. He didn't though... as far as we know he slept beside our bed the whole night, and if he did wander around he didn't chew anything that we've discovered yet. When I woke up at 7:00 am he was right where he was when I fell asleep the previous night (and still snoring himself)!

I think the wife is coming around to the idea of putting his bed in our room at the foot of the bed for good... we'll try the bedroom door tonight after a last minute potty, and see whether or not he wakes us up at 0530 crying to be let out of our room.

Thanks for all the advice and sharing.

Cheers, Andy
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    If he wakes up at 5:30 it's because he probably has to pee. It sucks, but you have to bring the puppy out to pee then you can go back to sleep. I used to give my dogs a bully stick or something they could chew on for a good half an hour. Then they would eventually go back to sleep for about a couple more hours allowing me to sleep more. With their mouths busy before they went back to sleep, I knew my furniture, baseboards, etc. were safe.

You could put something in his bed for him after he goes to sleep as a wake up treat to keep him busy so hopefully he doesn't chew on anything he shouldn't.
  • BeccasunBeccasun
    My first dog, I crate trained until he was about one. He would sleep with me but sneak down to potty in the bedroom in the night. But my Shiba, he cried in the kennel and he had been a menonite kennel dog until I got him at 12 weeks. He SOAKED up the love. I snuggled him in bed with me from the beginning. He never pottied in the bedroom but whined when he needed to go, so I would carry him outside. I love my dogs sleeping with me, and so does my husband, course husband works nights... so it's often the dogs or sleeping alone... Shiba's are pretty compact dogs, so they don't take up a lot of space. Lol, on cold winter nights Brody will beg to go under the covers. I love it. If you are a light sleeper, cool, otherwise kennel your puppy, he could chew a lamp cord or eat something that could kill him when he's wandering around at night...
  • Two SocksTwo Socks
    Hey Andy,
    I saw this thread & read most but not all the posts so I may be repeating what has been already said. You asked where should we make him sleep? My question back is where is the most convenient place in your home that you would prefer he sleep? I have two shibas & a shikoku & they have never slept in a crate past 10 weeks of age. What has worked for us is to starting them in an X-pen with their bed in that. This keeps them out of mischief. I think its important to note that when you put your pup in the pen make sure he is relaxed & "ready" to sleep.Keep this pen set up in the location that you ultimatly want him to sleep in most if not all the time. Let him enter & exit the pen by himself, as Tara said you might want to give him something like abully stick to amuse him when your not around. Depending on the individual dog this could be the arrangement for anywhere from 6 months to a yr plus. when you feel he's really comfortable & likes the set up then try leaving the pens door open a little & then a little more if all continues to go well & he goes in on his own will & doesn't come out & get in to mischief ,then remove the x-pen but leave the bed in the same spot. this has worked for me with mine now when I say go to sleep at night they all go right to thier bed.
    Just an idea for you..good luck!!!!
  • ahcollierahcollier
    Thanks for the advice... we've been using his crate in the living room the last few nights, and he seems ok with that. He's turning 3 next month, so he's not a puppy anymore (we adopted). In fact during the day, we'll look around and say "Where's Taro-kun? It's awfully quiet..." and go looking for him and then finding him in his crate snoozing away.

I kind of want to have his doggie bed by our bed, but the wife is insisting on the crate in the living room recently... we definitely don't let the dog on or in the human bed... at 25 lbs he's getting a little big for him and the both of us, plus the shedding.

I guess we're still getting used to him as much as he's getting used to us. So we're doing a little trial and error to see what works. The good news he is wonderfully housebroken and generally a very good, cooperative, easy-going pet.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • I, personally would not allow MoJo to sleep outside of his crate and outside of me hearing or seeing him. He just doesn't deserve the freedom. They are mischievious when you least expect it...preferably during the middle of the nite when everything is quiet. If your shiba is lonely, I agree with one of the members...put his crate in your room. Best of all solutions.
  • Bump......

For three nights in a row Banjo woke me up around 2:30 am. No problem, I am a dog owner, I know what I signed up for.... late night pee breaks...

But these aren't pee breaks!!

At night, Banjo sleeps in my bedroom and has his choice of the floor, under the bed, or the dog bed and he rotates. However the last three nights, he has woken me up via whining and jumping at the door handle... when I open my bedroom door, he just runs into his crate and goes to sleep.

I live in a one bedroom apartment alone... is it time to let him have more of the apt at night? What could this be!?

• Bump......

For three nights in a row Banjo woke me up around 2:30 am. No problem, I am a dog owner, I know what I signed up for.... late night pee breaks...

But these aren't pee breaks!!

At night, Banjo sleeps in my bedroom and has his choice of the floor, under the bed, or the dog bed and he rotates. However the last three nights, he has woken me up via whining and jumping at the door handle... when I open my bedroom door, he just runs into his crate and goes to sleep.

I live in a one bedroom apartment alone... is it time to let him have more of the apt at night? What could this be!?

ETA: I'd liek to avoid moving the crate into the bedroom as then the walker would be walking through my bedroom to get him and sometimes they have muddy shoes, etc.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - I actually can sort of relate to your situation. Granted, Kira hasn't woken me up to let her out.

So Kira has a sleep playpen in our bedroom which has various dog beds, blankets, and even a blanket tied over it to give it more of a tent feel for her. She does like being under blankets so she really likes this. I don't close our bedroom door because:

1. My fiance will get too hot while he's sleeping
    2. We have cats that sleep in bed with us but will be pains in the a** if they can't have free range of the bedroom and house.

For a few months, I closed the playpen door and locked it. In the past month, I've left the door open and she would still follow me upstairs at night and stay there until I woke her up in the morning.

The past two days, I've woken up and she's downstairs in her bed in the living room which is perfectly fine. I don't mind her having the run of the house since we are at a point that we trust her.

On the weekends that I have to work I still wake her up, let her out, and feed her as usual. But when I leave the house, I don't crate her and let her have free run of the house since my fiance is still home and sleeping. Kira hasn't ever gotten into anything or done anything that warrants that I limit her access to the house while we are home, although I still crate her when we are at work.

That was a crazy long explanation, but I think your question warranted a layout of my scenario. I think that giving Banjo open accesibility to the house deserves a few trial runs to see how he does, I think he would be fine especially since you have an apartment. It sounds like Banjo just wants to sleep in his crate, don't bother moving it though. He's comfortable with where it is and I don't think it's necessary to move it. Maybe he just wanted a change of scenery!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • @BanjotheBetaDog-I agree with Kira_Kira that maybe Banjo just wanted a change of scenery. Is it possible for you to gate off any potentially hazardous areas leading from your bedroom to the crate so that you could just leave your bedroom door open and he can go to his crate to sleep in the middle of the night if he wants to do that. Quake perfers sleeping in my bedroom on his bed so I really have had no experiences such as yours.
  • This ones a pretty open ended question. I don't really think there are many WRONG places to have them sleep.

Personally, I don't like or allow dogs in my bed (I also have mild allergies). I let them come up for plays and jump on my GF to wake her up on the weekends (muahaha). My GF used to sleep with her little Terrier-X (now ours) every night but that changed pretty quick lol. Our Terrier-X had some pretty bad separation anxiety that I was almost able to correct with discipline and lifestyle changes. Regardless, it was really hard to get an uninterrupted night of sleep until we got our Shiba. That seemed to take away the rest of our Terrier-X's anxiety issues. They both happily slept in their crates in the living room until last month. Now I have the living room and kitchen gated off. They get free roam that entire area in the night times and while we're at work.

I love that they have that extra freedom and they respect it pretty well. However, that will be HUGELY dependent on your pet. When we had just the one dog I put her crate about 6ft away from our bed.

I know this isn't terribly insightful advice or anything but just use trial and error to find the best compromise for both you and your pet :)

Brody
  • I said f it and just sleep with the door open. He can sleep anywhere but the closet and his go to spot is the bath mat in the bathroom. It's weird as he usually isn't allowed in the bathroom since he shreds the toilet paper. I think he is on good behavior at night. No issues. I hide all the pens.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Lol I remember the pen fiasco! He is such a butthead! >:)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • You have NO IDEA!! He is SUCH a butthead. I love him to pieces, but his douchebaggery has no bounds.
  • +1 for using the word 'douchebaggery' :-))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)