For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ruff Tough Kennels Dog Crate
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    I was rear-ended by someone without insurance a few months ago. Both Shibas were with me with a harness attached to the seatbelt when this happened. I stopped at the red light and the guy behind us drove too fast and couldn't stop. Luckily, none of us were badly injured, but my old sedan was not so lucky. It was deemed too damaged to be fixed by the insurance company and I had to total it and got a replacement vehicle.

I got a wagon/small SUV that much better meets my needs with dogs and I became super concerned about the dogs safety in the car. I always put the dogs either in a safety harness attached to the seatbelt or crate them for safety. I have since tried many different products for this purpose and am very happy with what I currently have.

Ruff Tough Kennels are made of super strong plastic material and they are one piece constructions, making them very sturdy. You can find a more detailed description of the crates on the manufacture's website. http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/

I bought 2 to put in my car, medium size for my girl Maluko, who is about 14.5 inch at wither and 22 pounds and an intermediate size for my boy Koji, who is about 17.5 inch at wither and 27 pounds.

Medium Dimensions- 18" wide X 20" tall X 28" deep
    Intermediate Dimensions- 20" wide X 23" tall X 31" deep

What I like about these kennels:
    Safety - they are very well-made and sturdy. This YouTube video got me hooked. I understand their testing is not very scientific, but I am very impressed with how well the crate holds up its own in different testing scenarios.

Size- I have a wagon/small SUV, and the two crates fit nicely side by side in the back. I previously had a Midwest iCrate Double Door 30 inch wire crate and a Kennel-Aire Small 30 inch wire crate and they wouldn't fit side by side.

Here is a picture of the crates in my car.

Quiet - The crates do not rattle like the metal crates do, making the car ride much more joyful for both me and the dogs. I also replace a stainless steel crate bowl with Popware crate bowls. They are collapsible and can be folded up when not used. Did I mention they do not rattle, which is super nice! In the picture above, you can see the green one on the left in Koji's crate when it is in use and the purple one in Maluko's crate to see how the bowl looks when not in used.

Design - For the Intermediate and larger size crates, you can choose a double door design for flexibility. I also appreciate the fact that the crate door can be opened to either the left or the right without any change of configuration (in the picture, you see two "RTK" on either side of the crate and that is door handle). The optional tie-downs give you more choices to further secure the crates in your vehicle if you want.

What I don't like about these crates:
    None so far.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone who wants maximum safety and security of their dogs in the car.

On a side note, here is the new sticker I got for the car. I really like how it matches the color of my car.
  • BootzBootz
    Your poor sedan :( Glad your Shibas are safe.

That sticker is damn cute! I need to find me one of those since my car is clean of stickers.
  • JosieAndMarouJosieAndMarou
    Those kennels look awesome! Did you recently buy them? Just curious on how they are fairing fir now..

Btw, Where did you get that sticker! I had a magnet on my car but it doesn't quite stay on right.
  • KitsuKitsu
    Looks like the kennel can survive a meteor shower :P
  • SayaSaya
    Nice looking crate thanks. I been wanting to get plastic crate for Sai and Bella for travels better then traveling with wire one..

So sorry about the car glad you and the dogs were not harmed.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LosechLosech
    Too bad about the wreck, those suck.

Nice kennel! Those are interesting. Look pretty cool.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    I was totally not driving fast when the accident happened. In fact, I was stopped at the traffic light. The problem is you can't control how other drivers drive! I am very grateful that both myself and the dogs were not injured. The car can be replaced, but not my health or the two Shibas' health.

I do not want to take chances with the safety of my two. In an accident, they can easily be tossed around or even smash the windows and be thrown out of the car if given enough impact. The crates are there to protect them and others in an accident and I think they are totally worth it.

@Bootz and @JosieAndMarou
    I got the sticker/decal from Nickerstickers, https://www.nickerstickers.com/

@JosieAndMarou
    I only got these 2 crates fairly recently, so can't tell you how they will fare long term, but from the look of the crate and the build quality, I am pretty confident they will last for a very long time.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    For anyone that is not using some kind of vehicle restraint or crates to protect their dogs in the car, check out this video that shows what may happen upon impact

This is another video of crash testing with stuffed animals upon impact

Here is another video that talks about Dog Seat Belts & Car Restraints: Vet Chat from DrsFosterSmith.com

It is really not safe to have your pets riding in your car without any safety precautions. Don't play with fate!
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2012-05-18 22:55:09
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    It is really not safe to have your pets riding in your car without any safety precautions. Don't play with fate!

This is true for people too! Use your seat belt or get belted.
    犬竜
  • LosechLosech
    Whoa, those kitty crates got ripped to shreds! I've never seen a video of crash-test animals before. I always belted in Conker for safety, and the bigger dogs since I didn't want them coming through the back and taking my head off on their way through the windsheld. It also helps prevent them from moving around too much, which is very distracting while driving.
  • JosieAndMarouJosieAndMarou
    @sandrat888 Thanks for the link! Oh, my, those video's are horrid! I can honestly say that I dont seatbeat or put Marou in a crate when I drive. He hates being in the car, the only time he acts fine is when he's in my lap while I'm driving. This has brought a new perspective to me... I'm going to get one of those crates now, and just give him a snack to keep him busy while going for a ride.
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    So sorry about your car accident. I love how proactive you are being in getting the word out about animal safety in the car! Such a good lesson for everyone!
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Just want to bring this up to every dog owners, so they know the risks involved and do something about it.

I know how easy it is to think accidents will not happen to "me and my dog" and that "we only have short trips around town" or "I am a very careful driver", but the risks are real and it is hard not to do something about it after seeing the videos.
  • catloreecatloree
    Wow, how scary! I'm so glad that all of you guys were okay. Thank you for the great review, I'm definitely going to have to look into those crates.

And omigosh, I'm in love with your car decal. I have a red car too!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Site note:

This a another great resource to read up on canine seatbelt/harness, http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/dogbelts/dogbelts.html
  • amtiamti
    Thanks Sandrat888! All this is great info! I do like the durability of the crates you bought. I do always clip my dogs in the car, but I always wonder how safe the dog seat belts really are since there have been no official studies. I was also impressed with the canine safety harness in the second video. Anyone use those?
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @amti

It's best to educate yourself on as many safety issues when traveling with your dog in the car. Nothing is 100% to ensure your dog's safety, but you do whatever you feel comfortable to maximize their chances should an accident happens. For car travel harness, I use Champion Canine Seat Belt System, http://usak9outfitters.com/CCSS.htm if for whatever reason, I choose not to use the crate in the car when transporting the dogs.
  • amtiamti
    Thanks Sandrat888! That harness looks really good but I wish the chest pad was bigger. I really believe in a crash, the more room weight is distributed, the better off the dog will be. I do like the clip that connects to the seat belt too, and the harness looks pretty comfortable. Do your shibas wear a small?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @sandrat888 - I was recently in an accident with my two in the back of my Subaru. I always have them belted in, but the accident really freaked me out (I was rear-ended and they were in the very back of the vehicle). I have been thinking about getting these crates, but they are quite expensive compared to other options.

You have had them for almost a year... Do you still feel the same about them as when you first got them? How are they for ventilation?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @sunyata

I really like these crates. I am sure there are better, safe options out there, but given the space I have in the car, the numbers of dogs I need to transport, level of comfort for the dogs and my financial resources, I purchased these crates to maximize my dogs' chances of survival if an accident does happen. I also have the Champion Canine Seat Belt System (link in previous post) to give me more flexibility when a new arrangement is needed to transport the dogs.

The ventilation is not a problem for me and I heard that if you order directly from the manufacturer, you can ask them to drill more ventilation holes on the crate for you or you can do it yourself (they have a YouTube video describing how it is done)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @sandrat888 - Thanks Sandra. I am still weighing my options, especially since I am in a rental car at the moment. Obviously B&N's safety is most paramount, but I really want them to be comfortable too. They do enjoy being crated together (when necessary) so I wonder if getting a large crate would be big enough for both of them. I will have to get out the measuring tape and see how it compares to our wire crates.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @sandrat888 ... thanks for starting this thread and sharing your story last year, I have just now read through it. I am one of those owners who do need to heed my own head and start crating my dogs in the car, even if only with the current soft sided crates I have. This thread is a good reminder why I need to put more priority on car transport safety.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)