For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
shiba teeth
  • ShiroShiro
    i bought a shiba inu (shiro) and i think his teeth are not normal can any one post a pic of how shiba teeth should look like
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-05-15 08:35:36
  • ShiroShiro
    ps i dont know how to post pics
  • KitsuKitsu
  • KitsuKitsu
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-05-15 04:06:20
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • ShiroShiro
    thanks kitsu for the pic ypur shiba has very nice teeth, by any chance do you have one with the mouth closed, because i think the problem is when shiro has his mout shut
  • KitsuKitsu
    Oh, that's not my Shiba :P
  • ShiroShiro
    lol, sorry i tought it was your shiba
  • KitsuKitsu
  • ShiroShiro
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-05-15 08:37:42
  • KitsuKitsu
  • KitsuKitsu
  • ShiroShiro
    yes thats it
    what do you think?
  • KitsuKitsu
    How old is he? Is he missing teeth? If you're worried, i'd ask a vet. I'm sure other people on the forum are more knowledgable about dog teeth, sorry I'm not that much of a help!
  • ShiroShiro
    the lower jaw isnt in line with the upper!!!!!! i asked a vet and he told me its ok but i find it strange
  • KitsuKitsu
    Maybe it's okay, I'm not sure. If you have any worries or other forums members tell you that it isn't normal then you might want to consult another vet?
  • KitsuKitsu
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-05-15 05:11:23
  • JuniJuni
    Is it the puppy teeth? As in, not the adult ones? in that case maybe the adult ones will be more in line as they will fill up more space and they also get a few more teeth as adults.
  • KitsuKitsu
    I asked that, and thought that as well :) He said they are puppy teeth.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-05-15 10:55:10
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-05-15 07:42:13
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • LuckeeSevenLuckeeSeven
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Maybe this pup has a slight over bite?

I thought "underbite" was different, where the bottom jaw protrudes out beyond top front teeth (front teeth behind lower bottom) like one would see on brachycephalic breeds, english bull dog, boxer, possibly boston or even chins and peaks. Apparently they can do braces if the problem is severe enough http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/orthodontics/pet_orthodontics.htm

Snf

Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-05-15 10:12:11
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • rubyruby
    If you are concerned try to get a referral to an actual doggy dentist. Simon has one. He had a tooth that was damaged and our regular vet pulled it but was suffering from pain after. They said he was just being "dramatic". They did not have the proper x-ray equipment a dentist does and could not see fragments left behind afterwards. The dentist went in again and fixed it. Then they also gave him a crown on another tooth so he could salvage the tooth. It has held up well for 8+ yrs . Most of the patients they saw did have braces.
  • ShiroShiro
    thanks everyone for the tips, i fixed an app for next sat to the vet
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond has an overbite and it's not caused him any problems. His mouth also looked a bit similar to Shiro's when he was just getting ready to start teething. He had an adult-sized mouth, but tiny puppy teeth, and it looked absolutely ridiculous, haha. So much empty space between his teeth.

His bite and teeth are all fine now. The only issue he still has (aside from the slight overbite) is that one of his baby canines refused to loosen or fall out before the adult one started growing in, so it kind of grew forwards. So instead of sticking down like a canine should, it tilts forwards and rests next to his front teeth. The vet said it's not a big deal and it doesn't seem to cause him any pain or discomfort.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ok, I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I would pos here.
    Kuma has been losing his puppy teeth for the past month now, however his top puppy canines are not coming out. His adult ones are already coming out, and his puppy ones are just infront of his adult ones. I was curious if that's the norm for canines, but I do have a vet appt scheduled already for next week.
  • SayaSaya
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yeah they look kinda like that, I'll see if it comes loose before the vet gets to them. Thanks Saya
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-10 13:04:26
  • WerwolfWerwolf
  • amtiamti
    Are the bottom canines hitting the top gum? Hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like there is a slight indentation at the tip of the bottom canines, where it appears to be touching the top gum.

Oops, just realized how old this post is.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-04-08 17:25:57
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Post edited by DianaBoston at 2013-07-17 11:04:36
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Oh, @shibamistress they are already in... Those are her adult teeth. I will ask the vet to check again at her appt. next month.. She did say they look fine, but who knows....
  • cstrashcstrash
  • jennjenn
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • RAM25RAM25
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-11-02 13:26:56
  • RAM25RAM25
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thanks @Kobe1468 we will see the vet this week hopefully. I feel bad because he has been teething hard lately and I hope this isn't causing him extra discomfort. An adult tooth makes sense I think because it's a lot larger than the one in front of it.
  • @lindsayt She was left at animal control at 6 months and I got her through Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas (so no breeder info), but it is nice to know that it is fairly common among shibas. I will keep checking her teeth...she is only 15 months right now.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    It was definitely an adult tooth coming in. The same thing happened on the other side of his mouth and he lost both of those baby teeth today. He's not a happy camper, very bitey tonight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)