For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Too big for 6 months? (picture update 5/13/12)
  • JosieAndMarouJosieAndMarou
    Marou had a visit to the vet today to get started on a heartworm protection plan! Vet said he is in exellent shape, but I was kinda floored that he weighs 16lbs! I know Shiba's range between 22-28lbs full grown, and he's not far from that. Is this a normal weight for this age?

These are from today.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Update 5/13/12:
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Even though he's munchin' butt, you can see his muscle tone.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by JosieAndMarou at 2012-05-13 20:36:14
  • rubyruby
    The puppy book the vet gave Ruby has a chart in it, "what to expect...". At 5 months it says approaching adult height and weight for small breeds (up to 20 lbs). He is so cute. Really looks healthy.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    He's not that much bigger than Zim, who is now 13.8lbs at about 5 months old.
    @ruby Thanks so much!!
    I really try to keep him healthy as possible; brush him, bathe him (which I do kinda often. often as in, every other week. his coat feels like silk! I use a soap-free shampoo), feed him good quality food (whether or not its kibble or raw), regular walks, clip and file his nails, clean his ears. This is my child, haha! One spoiled pooch!

@notoriousscrat That makes me feel better. On the right track! :-)
  • konpeitokonpeito
    He looks fine to me (: I got a lot of comments from people who knew Shibas that Apollo looked big for his age at 5-6 months old. He was around the same weight as Marou, maybe even a little heavier. He's turning 7 months soon and I honestly don't think he's going to grow much more. I think he just had a fast growth spurt and is slowing down.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
    @konpeito Literally no one in my area has a Shiba, so any advice or pictures on here leave me confident. I hope Marou gets a little bigger, like 23lb-ish area, and a little taller.

How big is Apollo now?
  • konpeitokonpeito
    I haven't weighed him lately, but last time I did he was about 21-22lb. Both his parents were 22lb and under, so I feel like he shouldn't get much bigger. I really don't want him to get close to 30lb or else I don't think I could lift him as easily anymore haha.
    @konpeito Hahaha! I struggle some days to pick Marou up now! Even if he does get bigger, I'll make sure its a healthy/muscular weight.

By the way, your dog is gorgeous! I'm a big red color fan!
  • koyukikoyuki
    I dont think Marou is too big at all. Takeo is 5 & 1/2 months and is atleast 21-22 pounds, and koyuki is petite but she weighs 19 pounds so i think he is on track
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • littlebearlittlebear
    I am pretty new to the forum and don't know anyone with a Shiba in my area so this forum is wonderful. Kuma (male) is almost 7 months (born 10-17-11). I took him to the vet on Monday just to give him a pleasant visit (he still didn't think so) and we weighed him and he was almost 20lbs. My vet said he was all muscle. I am constantly asking if he is too big or too little for his age. This is our first Shiba and the only one I have seen was at our training club, a female 2 weeks younger and she was a little bigger than Kuma. I have not seen the female Shiba again, they have missed class and I hope they did not quit. If I remember correctly, our breeder said her Shibas were around 23 lbs. Kuma is approximately 15"-15 1/2" tall. He had one sister and she was much bigger than him when they were born. Looks like Kuma and Apollo are close to same size and look similar too! Marou and Apollo are both cuties! Here is a pic taken 5-1-12 Kuma 05-01-12
    @koyuki and @littlebear This is my first Shiba too! That's why I was just like ”Oh!” about his weight is because I thought he was small looking, but I guess not, ha!

• RyanRyan
    Bella is 4.5kg at 14weeks if that helps?
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
    @Ryan Woah! I know this is normal, now, but its still so surprising to me.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    The big thing to remember about Shibas is that they're small dogs. They're going to reach their full height around about 6 or 7 months(ish) and then fill out. The average weight for females is supposed to be 17lbs and 23lbs for males according to the standard.
  • RyanRyan
    @JosieAndMarou I am expecting her to be 10.5-11kg.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • dorapochdorapoch
    Ginko is 6 months and we haven't gone to the vet lately to weigh himself, but I think he's around that size. Imo, I thought he was going to grow bigger since he seems small to me but I guess not.

I was also afraid he might be a bit chubby since I see a lot of dogs here extremely fit and skinny on the waist. Glad to see someone who looks the same, haha.
    Post edited by dorapoch at 2012-05-11 16:54:32
    @dorapoch I didn't think Marou was chubbs or anything, but when they said he was 16lbs I was like 'What an oinker!'. He's really muscular, so I think that's a big portion were his weight comes from.
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @JosieAndMarou Apollo and I thank you! I agree with it probably being muscle. Apollo actually was kind of chubs a while ago because he was being fed too much, but we've switched his dog food, regulated his feeding, and exercised him more in the past couple months and he's definitely filling out like a male dog should. People who haven't seen him in a while comment on how he looks more muscular now.
    @konpeito Welcome!

I've always fed Marou different things, like one day I'll give him kibble and an egg for a snack, or I'll feed him a small baked sweet potato. Yesterday I gave him raw(lamb) for the first time and he loved it. It sat really well in his stomach too!

@notoriousscrat Thanks! Your Zim is a cute one, looks like a teddy bear! I swear I'll end up with one Shiba in every color! Haha! :-)
  • My 6 month old boy weighs 9.4kg (20lbs) and he was by far the biggest out his litter, and we just recently met a 1 year old Shiba and he was much bigger than Koda. So it will be interesting to see how much more he does grow over the next few months..
    @victoriakate Oh wow! Marou was the only boy out of his litter, he wasn't the runt either, so I'm hoping he'll get taller and fill in a little more.
  • Hir0Hir0
    i'm also apart of the 20+ club =X he is 23 lbs at six months, im hoping he will stay below the 30 lbs mark but we shall see, he has only put on about 4-5 lbs in the past 2 months so i think he is pretty close to his full size
    Post edited by Hir0 at 2012-05-12 16:57:08
    @Hir0 Yeah sounds like he's close to being full grown.

I really think Marou is a slow advancer, his 'boy parts' have now just fully come in. He still sissy pee pee's, I just noticed that he still has his top puppy canines...
  • my two shibas are like extremely different when it comes to size; yumi (f/14mos) is 16lbs & genji (m/9mos) is 27lbs. he looks like a gratundo next to yumi. he's a bit on the chunky side, although i don't feed him any more than yumi (meals & treats, alike).
    i don't know how it happened, but he's super active, he can outrun-play-wrestle yumi any day. i hope he doesn't get any bigger though...
    @ladylike1979 To me, thats a great size for a girl and boy! Sounds like Genji got a big growth spurt.
  • @josieandmarou thank you! from the sound of it marou sounds healthy and happy!
    my friend has a b&t shiba named maro, too!
    @ladylike No prob! Thanks! Haha, my husband picked his name, but I think its a cute pet name too.
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Apollo's a late bloomer too! I couldn't even see his balls till he was around 5 months or so. He also still squats to pee, occasionally lifting his leg. But I think he lifts his leg to avoid getting the pee on him more than it being an instinctual thing lol. I think it's because he was the more submissive of his litter.
    @konpeito Lol, I think Marou still sissy pee's because he doesn't want pee on himself either! Yeah, I'm figuring Marou was that way too, but then again...idk, because he doesn't back down to any other dog.
  • KentaKenta
    Kenta is full grown and weighs around 10 kg. Kitsu is 8 months and he weighs around 12/13 kg
  • KitsuKitsu
    Kenta = 22lbs and Kitsu = 26-27lbs for those in the US :P
  • kiba888kiba888
    Kiba is 24 lbs and just hit the beginning of his 6 month.
  • hngu145hngu145
    Haru is 16 lb and he's 5 month old. Is he overweight, underweight, or normal?
  • jennjenn
    @hngu145 sounds perfectly normal to me!

Rigby was also 16lbs at 5 months and he was 17.3 lbs last week at the vet (6.5 months).
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
    Post edited by jenn at 2013-06-03 17:30:16
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    My female is 7 months and 17.4lbs
  • kirinkirin
    hmm.. my guy is about 2 1/2 and he is about 33 lbs.

• tatonkatatonka
    15 months and 19lbs. I didn't think he'd make it past the Skeletor phase.
    Monkey!
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    both shiba's are so cute X3 when Nanook was about the same age he was already a whopping 25 ibs. I believe it was that much but has he got older he grew into is lanky phase and height and weight. I was scared that he would be over weight when he reached adulthood. Turned out he is just very leggy and super tall. As long as he is not over weight that's all that should matter X) Nanook now is about 30 ibs. way above average but I kind of like him at his height (17-18 inches) and weight. when he was a puppy he had very fat looking paws and the vet pre warned us that he would be way too tall for standard but he's healthy, well tempered and fun so to me thats all that matters X3
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    Riku is 5 months and he only weighs 12lbs, vet said he is healthy but everyone else on here says their dogs weigh so much more should I be worried?
  • jennjenn
    @CrystalWolf if your vet says he's healthy he probably is. Do his ribs stick out or does he not eat? I would think if both answers are "no" then you have nothing to worry about. He may just be a more petite male, or he may have a growth spurt later. :)
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    thanks jen, no the ribe do not stick out and vet says he is fine, he does eat but never does he eat all of his food which is 1/2 cup 3 times a day.
  • LemonChickenLemonChicken
    Panko just went to the vet yesterday. 5 Months now. He weighed 17lbs. Last month he weighed 13lbs. He is a growing booooooi ! Vet said he was in very good health. Only thing we have to work on is touching his mouth area. He is a little skitish about that.
    Panko!
  • RAM25RAM25
    Our 8 month old puppy weighs 20ibs and she's short and robust - I like to think it's all muscle! :P So many Shiba's have such long legs, I think our pup must be on the shorter side of things. Beautiful dog, he looks lean and healthy to me :)
    Post edited by RAM25 at 2013-06-07 12:51:52
  • yoshibackyoshiback
    My 4 month old weighs 14lbs. Vet says hes really healthy.
  • JmatosJmatos
    My 6 month Sheenu weighs 21 pounds :) he is a big boy and all muscle with long teenager legs lol
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Jmatos, lol. Tatonka just made it to 20.9 pounds at 1.5 years.
    Monkey!
  • SlomissySlomissy
    My pups are a year old now... Lupo is 28 lbs and Kaia is 29. They are both fairly tall For Shibas. He still looks rail thin, especially after blowing his coat. She is a wee bit heavy, but still okay. Just a lot of sashay in her hips. ;).
  • ZantasticZantastic
    Shiro was around 17 lbs when I got him at 6 mos and has grown and filled out to about 23 lbs at 9 mos. I'm expecting him to gain a little more, but hopefully he won't tip too far past 25.
  • MufasaMufasa
    Simba weighs in at a trim 25lbs at 9 months. I have no idea where the weight comes from because he isn't tall and is pretty thin. Must be muscle, I guess.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)