For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
My puppy never barks
  • momochanmomochan
    My shiba inu is now 10 weeks old.. I've had her for two weeks and she never barks or makes any sound except whimpering when she wants attention. Is that weird? I spend all of my free time playing and spending time with her, but she never barks or growls or anything. Is this normal?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-12-12 22:55:04
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Ryu is just like this, I can count on my fingers the number of times he has barked or growled and we have had him for over 6 months. He just makes little whines or yodel sounds when he wants to play, etc. Shibas are generally not "yippy" dogs.
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    Kishi is 1.5years now and we still haven't heard her bark. She is a very quiet dog.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    My dog's a bit of a barker for a Shiba and he doesn't bark that much either---mostly just when he's frustrated or excited. He does bark at least once a day but he still seems pretty silent to me compared to a lot dogs. It's very communicative.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Be glad! My puppy gidget is a barker. I wake up, she's BAWWW BAWWW BAWWW. I come home at night, she's standing on the couch by the door, barking her head off waking everyone up.

Guts on the other hand you can go a week or 2 without hearing. He's pretty silent. I always thought shibas were like that.
  • PhantomPhantom
    Nobi whines when he wants something and he's 8 weeks old. He howls too, but that's usually only when it's nap time and he just wants to free roam and play some more. Only time he seems to bark is when he's having fun during training sessions. He even twirls around. Otherwise, he's relatively quiet.
  • TonkaTalksTonkaTalks
    I'm with Gatsu, be glad! If Tonka wants to bark, there will be BARKING. It's getting him to shut up that's the trick! :-P
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Take that as a good thing! Apollo never used to bark, just made weird snarling noises during play. And since he found his voice, he barks for almost everything now. Especially when he wants something or isn't getting his way, he'll howl like crazy. He barks when he's hungry, when he's out of water, when he wants to go out, when you're ignoring him. It seems like he always wants something...lol.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • pdleepdlee
    I agree! Be glad your pup doesn't bark, mine barks at EVERYTHING, most times at nothing, makes me paranoid that I have a ghost living in my closet because that's where she directs her barks at nighttime.
  • Umi is 10 months old and she is a super quiet dog. During the course of a regular day the only time she does anything even resembling a bark is when she sees us first thing in the morning, and it's more a short 'Riff!' than a bark. If, however, we have been away from the house for several hours and she hears the car come in, she will bark and do this kind of woeful howl, which can be pretty amusing.
  • koyukikoyuki
    I have only ever heard takeo bark during play with koyuki or my sister's chow. Koyuki barks ALOT but she always has a reason. I always get up and run around checking doors and windows when she barks lol shes a great little guard dog as far as making sure we are aware something is out of place!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • LosechLosech
    My Shiba "never barked" for about three months, then he discovered barking and has yet to shut up.
  • PhantomPhantom
    Hmm. I think koyuki just explained how Nobi learned how to bark. The Doberman he visited was quite barky.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    INU barked one time in the first 6 months and Penny has always been vocal. Her bark is almost like she is trying to put words together. INU learned to bark from Penny. Now both can be noise makers. If I want to stop them from barking I use positive reinforcement i.e.; praise when they start and it curtails it. Shibas make so many various noises. Two years ago INU had a howling match with a coyote in the neighborhood. On occasion he stills howls.
    犬竜
  • micomico
    Suki never barked until she was about 9 months old but she was pretty vocal up to then now she's got a pathetic awoowoowoowooooo bark which she saves for the windowcleaner and the vacuum cleaner.
  • Kip has barked exactly 7 times since i got him at 10 weeks. He is now 6 months and still doesnt bark at anything! Other dogs around the city love barking at him though.
  • biz79biz79
    Kaiju (~11 months) is usually pretty quiet as well. He does bark more now then he did 6 months ago, and I can sort of predict them too. He tends to have two different barks - one for playing and one for 'protective (??) '.

When he plays, he usually bows and barks at the other dog in a high pitch tone during his chasing, wrestling, etc.

At home, when he hears something outside (ie. dog, skunk, cat, person, etc.), he'll do a lower pitched, scruffy bark. My guess is he wants to sound like he's a big dog hahaa.
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond makes a lot of noises during various situations, but not much of what I'd consider "barking".

The only time he gets close to a bark is when he's in his crate, I'm on the couch, and the cat jumps up to lay with me. Then it's this ear-piercing yip-shriek-bark. Sometimes when he's upset (same situation with the cat), he'll do a high-pitched whisper bark which makes me laugh. Like he's barking so high that he can no longer actually make sound come out. I guess sometimes at the park he'll bark at other dogs to try to initiate play/chase/wrestling. Or if a dog gets annoyed and growls/snaps at him, Hammond will flip out and hop around barking excitedly at them (he still things warning signs are a type of play -_-)

But his normal talking noises are happy "roo roo"s, grumbles, growls, play-snarls, and the occasional monkey/hyena noise.
  • rubyruby
    momochan, maybe yours doesn't know how yet? When we got Ruby she was like yours- Simon went and barked at the door, she followed and tried to imitate him. It came out like a cough. She worked on it for about a day or so. Now she won't shut up. Our neighbors hate us.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Bruce almost never barks. He's 6 months now and I can count the number of times he's barked on one hand. He's been around a lot of really vocal dogs and it hasn't rubbed off on him. (Knock on wood).
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    Yeah, as much as Zim is pretty vocal, he's only vocal for him (he barks when frustrated, when playing or on the very, very rare occasions when he thinks someone is suspicious). Other dogs don't set him off. The neighbor's stupid dog could bark until the cows came home and Zim would just keep ignoring it.
  • I got kip about 3 weeks ago and was suprised how quiet he was. It was not until we took in the the backyard with the fenced in chickens did I hear him bark for the first time.
  • Tweener is almost 7 months and he only barks when hes hunting something--like butterflied or my feet lol.

However, the scariest thing ever was one night when I was asleep and woke up to him growling and barking (the only time he has ever growled ever) at something that he saw under the dresser. He was standing on the edge of the bed looking down at the dresser barking his head off and low growling. I just picked him up and went back to bed because if there was a ghost down there I didnt want to know 8-X
  • @tweenersmommy that is the best response to barking late at night where the direction and focus is to a dark scary part of your room! I'm sure I would do the same thing, aside from the fact of turning on the light (cause we all know ghost are scared of the light)
  • When I first got my shiba at 8 weeks, we thought she was mute XD but she started making sound when playing and whimpering when she was about 3 to 4 month old. Now she is still not that vocal but will scream when nail clipping and the occasional bark and whimpering when wanting attention.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)