For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Injured Meniscus and Crutiate Ligament - Any Experience?
  • bobc33bobc33
    Hi Folks,

It appears Scout has injured her meniscus and crutiate ligament as far as the vet could tell. She is hobbling on three legs and, while she doesn't seem to be in pain, she certainly is limited in her mobility. The vet has suggested anti-inflammatory medicine and rest for a month to see if it heals on its own, then we may have to consider surgery. My gut tells me she will need surgery. No running, no jumping, no walks beyond outside to relieve herself, no stairs, and what will be very difficult is no playing with her best dog friend Nemo with whom she daily expends a great deal of energy playing like a couple of nuts.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep her amused, stimulated and sane while she has to be so limited?

Also wondering if while injured are dogs more likely to react to other dogs? I also have a second Shiba named Shadow and Scout certainly has a history of attacking him though things have been much better the past year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:12:53
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    We went through a torn ACL and severely luxating patella with Bel. She did have the surgery...we didn't actually know how bad the ACL was until they did the surgery on the knee for LP.

Anyway, we did have a hard time keeping her occupied and this was just the after surgery care. Also, she was a LOT more irritable and snappy with the other dogs. We realized, after they started the surgery and saw that the ACL was completely shredded and separated, that she must have been in an enormous amount of pain, but Shibas can be so stoic--she wasn't showing it at all. We had to be a lot more vigilant with her, though as you know, ours are separated anyway. But she was snappy and irritable with the Akita, too, which was only true when pre-surgery and post surgery.

We had to take her on leash walks to pee, etc, as she would immediately try to run if off leash. It was pretty tough, honestly. I got some puzzle games for her, but she's a smart little thing and figured them out in record time. I do think the puzzle games were useful, though, and were one way of occupying her. I'd suggest them, and some hyper vigilance with your two dogs, as well.

Also, I wasn't able to do this, but hydrotherapy is highly recommended for the post op time if you go the surgery route. Even just walking in water would be good....

Anyway, sorry to hear this. It really sucks, and it's a slow recovery either way. If it were me, I'd probably go with the surgery, since it could be, like in our case, that the ligament is so torn it would not heal on its own. (My vet knew it was "torn" but didn't know how bad until she got in there).

And I will say that Bel had a hard time, and slow recovery, and was still somewhat limited in range of motion for quite a long time. But a year out, she's regained almost all of the range of motion in that leg. She doesn't limp anymore, and she can bend her leg pretty well. She can't sit comfortably anymore, but other than that's she's close to be back to normal.
  • bobc33bobc33
    Shibamistress,

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to get some puzzle games for her. Scout too is stoic and tough to tell how much pain she is in. She just seems bewildered as the routine has changed so much. When I take Shadow out for a walk she looks at me as if to say why aren't I going? Shadow is puzzled because he is going out by himself, and when we visit our friends dog Nemo without Scout, Nemo looks around as if to say where is Scout?

I may try marrow bones or bully sticks, though that is tough as they have triggered fights in the past. I did gets the Vet's OK to put her on prozac again. I tried her on it a while back but she went zombie, so now we are trying 1/2 the dosage which hopefully will chill her some but not to the zombie stage. I'm keeping the blind closed on her favorite window for the mornings so she doesn't go ballistic when the mailman comes.

I never thought I'd feel grateful that she and Shadow hardly play together, but I am now. It's been a week now and I feel for her, but she is a tough cookie.