For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Injured Meniscus and Crutiate Ligament - Any Experience?
  • bobc33bobc33
    Hi Folks,

It appears Scout has injured her meniscus and crutiate ligament as far as the vet could tell. She is hobbling on three legs and, while she doesn't seem to be in pain, she certainly is limited in her mobility. The vet has suggested anti-inflammatory medicine and rest for a month to see if it heals on its own, then we may have to consider surgery. My gut tells me she will need surgery. No running, no jumping, no walks beyond outside to relieve herself, no stairs, and what will be very difficult is no playing with her best dog friend Nemo with whom she daily expends a great deal of energy playing like a couple of nuts.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep her amused, stimulated and sane while she has to be so limited?

Also wondering if while injured are dogs more likely to react to other dogs? I also have a second Shiba named Shadow and Scout certainly has a history of attacking him though things have been much better the past year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:12:53
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • bobc33bobc33
    Shibamistress,

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to get some puzzle games for her. Scout too is stoic and tough to tell how much pain she is in. She just seems bewildered as the routine has changed so much. When I take Shadow out for a walk she looks at me as if to say why aren't I going? Shadow is puzzled because he is going out by himself, and when we visit our friends dog Nemo without Scout, Nemo looks around as if to say where is Scout?

I may try marrow bones or bully sticks, though that is tough as they have triggered fights in the past. I did gets the Vet's OK to put her on prozac again. I tried her on it a while back but she went zombie, so now we are trying 1/2 the dosage which hopefully will chill her some but not to the zombie stage. I'm keeping the blind closed on her favorite window for the mornings so she doesn't go ballistic when the mailman comes.

I never thought I'd feel grateful that she and Shadow hardly play together, but I am now. It's been a week now and I feel for her, but she is a tough cookie.