For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
To Invest In A Sewing Machine or Not...
  • KitsuKitsu
    To invest in a sewing machine or not... that is the question. I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good investment to buy a sewing machine to make collars. I've seen a lot of homemade collars on the forum and thought it might be fun to try out. But then I'd have to get a more heavy duty sewing machine which could be pricey. Not sure if it'd justify the cost or if it'd just be cheaper to keep buying collars online.
  • LosechLosech
    If it's just for collars, no. If you like to sew and make stuff, why not? I occasionally use my Mom's machine to make dog stuff, but not often enough to buy my own.
  • Honestly I don't think you need to bother with the sewing machine if this isn't a collar you plan to walk your dog on. Zim's collar is handmade (I stitched what few stitches were needed by hand) but it's purely for identification. He always gets walked on a harness.
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-04-28 02:33:08
  • KitsuKitsu
    Well I'd plan on making martingales and walking my dog with the collars. I'd probably try to make dog clothes or dog beds or pillows or something as well.
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-06-12 17:42:29
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Decent sewing machines are really pricey, so unless you plan on making collars and harnesses for everyone it'll be a lot cheaper to just buy at the store.

With that said, if you're a crafty type person that'll use it for other things as well then it might be worth it.

I've also been considering buying a new sewing machine. I do a bit of sewing and crochet here and there and would love to be able to create perfectly sized/entirely unique harnesses, clothes, leads etc.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-04-28 02:58:12
  • KitsuKitsu
    My mom just said I could have her sewing machine, not sure what type it is but hopefully a good one :D

All I know, regardless of whether or not I can make good collars. @Ryu is going to be getting a lot of business from me when my girl is full grown!
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-06-12 17:42:25
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Sewing dog pillows/beds is a good idea!
  • KitsuKitsu
    Well her sewing machine is a shi**y old one :P I might buy the Singer 4411 (or 4423) since they should be able to work for collars and they are only about $120ish
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-06-12 17:42:20
  • KitsuKitsu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)