For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
New puppy soon, want to hear stories!
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Hi guys. We are finally getting another pup to add to our household. We're not getting another Shiba (it was boyfriend's turn to pick the breed), we are getting a Pembroke Corgi. It was born this Saturday and we're thrilled!

I'd like to hear your stories of Shiba/Corgi interactions please! I don't know what to expect!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    No direct experience with Shiba and Corgi but I have done a good deal of searching on the net because my son is enamoured with the the Pembroke. We promised him that we would get him one when he graduates from college in two years.

From my readings it appears that they can be a good mix. As with any addition it depends on the temperment of your present dog and the new addition. With a Corgi I would be concerned with them as herders; nipping at the legs to direct another animal. But, Penny does this to INU all the time when they play. No arguments have ever ensued because of this. I believe the energy levels of a Corgi and Shiba are similar.
    犬竜
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Marshall does very well with dogs that are of his size, give or take, on and off leash. Big dogs are a different story.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Corgis were on the short list (no pun intended) of breeds to consider when we were adding another dog to our household. Bowdu has always gotten along with Corgis, I think because they're shorter than him and so don't appear to be a threat. Heh.

The ones that I have met are adorable, but extremely vocal... Good luck with that. ;)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Lol, pun not intended but highly appreciated! Hahaha
  • :D when we lived in our apartment there was a corgi that lived down the street and would meet us at the apartments dog park to play. They got along great, and loved to take turns chasing each other around.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    There's a Pemmie that lives in our complex, but his owner doesn't seem very outgoing (head down, no eye contact when we pass) so I don't want to be rude and ask for our dogs to meet.

I just signed up for the Corgi meetup group here so I can get some hands-on experience. It's funny, because the trainer that we used for Marshall is the organizer! I had no idea! Most fortuitous.
  • deerparkdeerpark
    Oooo, I wanna hear feedback from this too. I lovvvveee Corgis. But our family hit the quota on number of dogs - Two Great Danes, Samoyed and Shiba Inu!

I'll just ogle at yours for now :P
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Oh I love Great Danes! Such gentle giants. My Corgi was just born so it will be a while before I can share photos, but I will get plenty when we visit the kennels in 5-6 weeks. :)

I've asked this question on the Corgi forum that I am a part of, and a few of their Corgis have Shiba best friends. The energy level and play style seem to be about equal, so I'm totally stoked!
  • When Fira was 4 months old, one of my buddies brought his 10 month Welsh Corgi to my apartment. He was a ball of energy and barked a lot. Besides that, he was a very well behaved dog. He played with Fira's toys a lot, never had an accident in the apartment (every other dog that has visited did), and was very nice to everyone else.
    Poor Fira was really skittish for the most part. She stayed in her crate during the first half of the Corgi's visit, and huddled next to me during the second half!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)