For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas in the garden.
  • Hi everyone, I'm on the process of getting a new house with my parents and since in the one we live today, we couldn't have a dog for a long time, my mind is set on getting one now and it has to be a Shiba if you ask me. Therefore my question is as follows:
    My parents are putting me one condition that I can't bend, the dog has to be in the garden/backyard at all times. He's not going to be allowed in the house except for going out through the front door for his walks and maybe on special occasions after his bath (so being absolutely clean). Since most of the Shibas I've seen here and on videos are in the house with crates I started worrying if my Shiba could deal with a life on the garden in his doggy house like my german shepherd did (the only dog we've had in the family so far). I'm very concerned about this, since I'm dying to get a Shiba Inu but this is something I can't overlook, I've read Shibas are very good at getting used to small spaces like apartments but I've seen nothing on outside living. The house is still under construction so I don't know the exact dimensions of the garden yet but it's not going to be dead small, since it's bigger than any of the other houses we visited. Another thing is, I live in Puebla, México; the climate here is temperate, basically hot in the day (under the sun) with fresh wind (so very fresh under the shadow of a tree) and fresh at night with cold nights on winter. Hope this can paint the picture.

I hope you can help me, I'm begging for your opinion.

Thank you all!!!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Well, if you aren't in a position to make your own calls about how you want your Shiba raised, then perhaps it would be better to wait on buying one until you have more autonomy. Also, isn't it very hot in Mexico? How will this double coated puppy stay safe and cool?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I mean this in the nicest way possible and only with good intention: this does not sound like an ideal life for a Shiba at all. Although they are independent they thrive on being around their "pack" at all times. For example, my Shiba is not big on snuggling but no matter what room I'm in, he is there, even when I'm cooking in the kitchen.

Resist the urge until you're ready to give the Shiba the life you WANT to give to him/her and the life they deserve.

Hope this helps. I'm sure it's not what you want to hear though.
    Knox The Shiba
  • konpeitokonpeito
    I agree with Lindsay and Knox. It doesn't sound like your circumstances are ready for a Shiba right now. Pretty sure there are members on the forum who keep their dogs predominately outside and it has worked for them, so maybe they can provide a different perspective. But if you're very opposed to keeping your dog outside, that will be very difficult for you to deal with.

Maybe try to talk it out a bit more with your parents? They might come around and see your reasoning. However, since it IS their house basically, they will get final say on such big decisions.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    One of my concerns is it going to be an escape proof yard? Shibas are notorious escape artists. Also what type of wild critters might be visiting. One of the forum members has a quite large dog to guard against other predators like coyote and eagles.

Perhaps a dog house could be quite comfortable but as mentioned they do like to be among the humans they own.

Please consider carefully, there are too many Shibas in rescue already for a myriad of reasons.
    犬竜
  • NattygoNattygo
    I know how you feel. After a 1.5 years of research, I decided I wanted a shiba puppy however I realized in my current situation and apartment it just wouldn't be ideal for the puppy and myself. Thus I have waited about another 2 years. Now that I will be moving to a bigger place with family close by to help me take care of it, I can finally say that the conditions are right to own a puppy (even if my parents are strongly against it, afraid I won't ever get married. Hahaha!)

Now I'm waiting on the breeder, although I have been on the waiting list for over 6 months, but there is a time and place for everything. I know it's hard, believe me I dream about owning a Shiba all the time. However, it is our responsibility to make sure that the environment is best for everyone. You wouldn't raise a child by letting it stay only in the backyard

Like @Knoxtheshiba said, wait until you can give it the life it deserves. Trust me, after digging through many (about 2 years worth) of forums and watching youtube videos, it'll be worth it.
  • I completely agree with all the previous posts. Your Shiba would NOT be a happy dog unless he's able to have access to YOU at all times when you're home. Although, they like their independence, they do tend to get very attached to you (at least in my experience). I agree with @konpeito unless you can convince your parents to allow you to keep the dog inside, at least until he's properly trained (remember that the early stages are critical in teaching your dog how to behave and Im afraid you won't be able to do so properly if you're gonna let him outside. That will just lead to an untrained puppy who will most likely have problems in the future. If its a matter of cleanliness about keeping your dog inside for your parents, you should be aware that Shibas tend to be very clean and very fast learners so any boundaries you want to set inside the house can be taught at an early age as well as potty train patterns. My puppy was created since he came home with me and thought about boundaries within the house, however after a few months of training, he has now full freedom inside the house. He knows his boundaries, where he can and can't go and as of now. I have NOT had any issues with him. He is amazing! . As far as the temperature in Puebla, I don't think there's issue there with being uncomfortable for a Shiba, I've lived there before and I visit often and I know the usual weather. Shibas could def. hang outside for long periods of time and perhaps sleep there but only like I said after being properly trained BUT of course having access to the house is important for a lot of different reasons even including the weather itself, there might be some days where it could get too hot or what if its raining? you wouldn't leave your kid outside if its raining for long periods of time right?.

Sorry for the long post but I feel this is really important to address, if you do not have the freedom to make decisions like this or have the support from your parents to allow you to do this then I think perhaps it is best for you to wait longer until you can provide your Shiba the Perfect environment, believe me in the end it will worth it! not only for your puppy but for you as well!!

Best of Luck!
  • Yeah, I'm going to jump in here too, with virtually the same advice: if you can't have your dog inside at least some of the time, your pup will not be happy.

And I live in New Mexico, in the mountains. I suspect we have a similar summer climate. Hot, with cooler nights and breezes. But my dogs don't like to be outside in the summer at all, and they tend to stay inside and lay on the cool floors. Then they go out at night.

I think you'll probably need to wait til you can make your own rules about your dog's living conditions, I'm afraid. I know it sucks, but it will best for you both!
  • Our Shiba spends quite a lot of time outside by choice, but also has full access to the house when we are home. She comes and goes as it pleases her. Perhaps your parents are concerned that the house will get messy or smelly because of the dog, which I can understand, but as others have pointed out, they are very clean animals indeed and don't mess in the house or have a strong 'dog' odour. Umi has also learnt the 'rules' of the house very quickly, which she abides by very well. I live in Perth, Western Australia, where, in summer it regularly gets over 100 degrees F - we have a hot, dry climate. The dog is fine in this climate providing it has shade and access to the airconditioning on the hotter days.
    The only thing that is a must with these dogs is that you have a very secure, well fenced backyard.
    Our dog also sleeps outside as well.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is a digger so if I were to have fenced yard it'd need be dig proof. She can't jump to save her life due to her health condition anything higher then 4feet it too much for her, but other shiba are good climbers and jumpers..

Saya loves and enjoys being outside I let her out when I do yard work so I can keep an eye on her and she loves it she mainly suns herself, moves under chair or tree when too hot or explores the dock by the pond.

During evening she needs be on long leash due to rabbits they come out during that time so Saya will go after them, but she does comes back when called I leash her out of precaution.. She also wears jingle bells during off leash time..

Maybe if parent's are building the house have your room by the backyard and have a door leading to it so your dog can go in and out as he/she wants?

Maybe parent's would be fine with the dog being in your room only?

Shiba inu doesn't really have a smell I sniff Saya and she doesn't smell at all as long as you feed good quality kibble and brush her/him when needed.

Saya digs like I said has gotten dirty from it and on walk home dirt have came off from her walking.

Only thing would be when the dog blows his/her coat twice a year fur can be in the house. or in your room if the dog is just in your room, but vacuum and clean more often during those times then no issue.

Shiba inu smell is nice compared to labs or GSD or at least the labs and GSD I've smelled.. Maybe they stunk bad due to eating bad diet? I dunno.

Saya is only shiba I smelled up close it'd be kinda weird Excuse me mind if I smell your shiba's plush fur? lol

I don't think a shiba outside 24/7 would be good especially if it was hot. If I lived in Louisiana still and I got Saya Even though the yard was secure and well fenced I'd be sure she was inside when I wasn't around especially during hot season because LA gets extremely hot and humid at times it can be brutal..

plus we have snakes that are dangerous too and oh red ants I'd hate for her to step on a red ant hill and get stung I've been stung they're no fun.

Where I live she can't be out 24/7 due to hawks, coyotes, badgers and skunks..

Up to you though I'm not fan of outside 24/7 I'd prefer the dog to have choice to go inside or outside.

And the only allowed inside after a bath because it's clean I don't think that would be good because he/she might forget his/her manners due not being practiced daily..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • GShibafanGShibafan
    Thank you all for all your feedback it really helped me a lot. Things seem to be changing in my life very fast right now and for now I'm suddenly looking up to at least another 2 to 3 years to get my shiba and I can't wait but if things don't change or should I say don't change enough by then, then I'll wait even longer as you all recommend. Thank you again and see you around! ^_^
  • RyanRyan
    I would recommend waiting. I waited 6years to know I was in a stable life that I controlled.
    My Shiba is an inside dog, that goes outside to the toilet and to play, walks etc.
    She guards my bedroom at night- she is a member of the family and wouldn't cope with being outside, she doesn't like being separated when i go to work as it is!
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I met my first Shiba in 1985 and knew then I wanted one. I got my first in 2009. Two to three years flies by.
    犬竜

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)