For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
At what age did your shiba stop growing?
  • I've done a ton of research on the "average" size of a shiba, but when I look through these boards, it seems like everyone's shiba is so different! I'm wondering, at what age did your shiba stop growing? When we took Penny home from the breeder she was 2 months old and 3 lbs. She was smaller than average, because she was from a litter of 8 (I think shibas usually only have 3-4 pups per litter). Plus, she was the runt of the litter. We recently took her to the vet for a checkup. She's 9 months old and 14 lbs. That seems small to me, especially since she was 13.6 lbs when she was 7 months.

It is possible I'll one day have a 20+ lb shiba, or does it seem like I've got myself a small one?

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-02-28 11:32:20
  • re_bekahre_bekah
    I think she's just naturally on the little side. Our 9 month old is about 18 pounds, where she's basically been for a while now.
  • GatsuGatsu
    I was gonna ask the same question. i have a puppy that eats a lot. But i live with my parents and since the first week my mom has been messing with the dogs diet. For the pass 2 weeks the puppy hasnt gained any weight, actually she lost some. So I'm really frustrated with my parents.

My first shiba Guts isn't very food motivated, so it was always tough to get him to eat, so he's on the scrawny side. But this puppy loves food, but some how my family may has screwed this puppy, and I'm worried she's not growing right. Even the vet said something about it.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-04-20 15:12:50
  • @Gatsu: Oh, dear. How much does Gidget weigh these days? It would be very strange if Zim had gotten bigger than her.
  • GatsuGatsu
    She was weighed today at 12 pounds. She's lost a half a pound in the last 2 weeks. She's eating, but she's been eating this crappy can food that the vet gave us since she's had diarrhea for awhile now.
  • Oh, wow, he is bigger than her now (12.2 lbs). That so weird---he was the smallest of all the puppies. Mind you, he hasn't lost any weight.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Sakura is a little over 1.5 years and hovers between 19 and 20 lbs (smallest of her litter of 5) She came to us at 4.5 lbs at 9.5 weeks

@micheleelyse, is Penny spayed? Sakura gained about 3 more lbs after getting spayed.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • We had her spayed in the beginning of February ... so it's been 2 and a half months. It just seems like there's such a range with shiba weights ... my fiance and I took Penny to the dog park and met a 2-year old female shiba who weighed 32!
  • GatsuGatsu
    Gidget was the Alpha of her litter. And defiantly the biggest female.
  • ncieloncielo
    At around 1 year and 3 months I noticed his height just kept still after the 4 month. But honestly he hasn't stopped growing in his legs and neck. His chest and rib cage even to seem to get larger. It's weird to explain my Nikos growth. He's now the same height still but he somehow looks taller and leaner
    Post edited by ncielo at 2012-04-20 15:53:51
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Please remember to use the search function next time and revive one of the scores of old threads on size to help keep the forum from getting too cluttered.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • HibariShibaHibariShiba
    At almost 10 months, Ponta is about 10.5 kilos, or maybe 23 pounds. While he grew steadily before 8 mos. of age, he has held steady for the past few months, leading us to believe that he's at full size. Do they hold steady and then have another growth spurt?

When Ponta was younger, we got asked if he was a mameshiba or not; we even got asked this recently, despite his normal size. We see mameshiba at the dog runs here in Tokyo fairly often.

Once we met a huge, barrel-chested Shiba named Hugo, seemed twice the size of a normal Shiba, and the owner claimed there was no mixing. Didn't believe her, but can't say for sure.
  • Mylo is 2ish and about 35 lbs. Sounds like he may be the biggest one I have read about. He is super fit though, gets exercise everyday, just big for a Shiba.
    Derek
    Shiba - Mylo
    Sussex, WI

• Tiger Lily seemed to stop growing significantly at seven or eight months, and about 21 pounds. We'll see how Ari does, especially because he eats like a pig, where she always was more dainty about it
  • HaloHalo
    I am bringing this back up becuase I am concerned over Halo's lack of growth and weight gain. Today I took her to the vet to have worm tests run because while she eats 2 cups of food a day, she isn't gaining any weight, and she is quite skinny. The tests can back negative. She weighs 11.5 lbs, and is 9 months old. I am confused as to how my puppy who was not the runt of the litter is so small?
  • HaloHalo
    She doesn't seem unhealthy at all, the vet says she looks healthy, and her heart sounds just fine. She has lots of energy.
  • HaloHalo
    I should add that both her parents were normal sized shibas. The vet kept commenting that "perhaps its because she is the runt of the litter" but she wasn't. When I took her to the vet when she was little, they said she was super healthy normal sized shiba puppy.
  • @Halo If the vet says she is okay, I wouldn't worry. Penny is 2 years old now and fluxuates between 14 and 16 pounds. Whenever we take her places, people say she's one of the smallest shibas they've ever seen. I think in some cases it's just like people ... there's an "average" size, but some people are much larger and some are much smaller. Just make sure she doesn't start losing weight, and I think you are fine!
  • HaloHalo
    Ok, I guess I am just super overly concerned about her....I guess she is just destined to be small. Thanks for your input =)
  • I think riku is also on the smaller size. 15lbs and 7 months. I met a shiba at the pets store that was a bit taller and filled out more than riku is. I feel like he still looks like a puppy. I see shiba pics and he just not as "built" as other shibas. He gets 3 cups of food a day but sometimes doesn't eat it all. I hear ya @halo. I worry sometimes too. But I'm trying not to worry. As long as the vet says everything is fine I try to go by that. But it is like??? Why doesn't my shiba look as built as other shibas lol.
  • kiba888kiba888
    Kiba is around 8 months and has been hovering between 31-32lbs in the last 2 months. I think he's hit his size now.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    My boy stopped growing in weight I think between 10-12 months old.

You really should look at your dogs weight though based on how they look. If they look emaciated or thin then you probably should try to put on some weight, but if they meet ideal I wouldn't worry. On the other side heavy and grossly obese should be addressed too.

Here is a link to how to evaluate your dog's weight if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-evaluate-your-dogs-weight.html
  • JuniJuni
    I think Juni reached her grownup height and weight somewhere in between 6-9 months. But all of a sudden, now at 3 years old she's filled out a bit, a pound actually, so she's got more of a chest. It looks better, she used to be tall and skinny but now she looks tall and fit.
    I've heard breeders say that some Shibas grow the chest, cheeks and neck until they are around 3 years old. I don't think it adds much weight though.
  • hachi is 16.5lbs at 4 months- his dad was 25, we see where he ends up ...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)