For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog training hand signal book/list?
  • I was curious if anyone knows of a good book that gives a list of hand signals to use while teaching your dog? I’ve done a lot of research (and also noticed from reading some of the threads) that dogs seem to respond better to hand signals since they natural communicate via body language. Often times they can end up tuning out our voices because they hear them so much so it’s easier to listen to us via hand signals. With that in mind I’d like to teach Stella hand signals and I have already begun doing this. My only fear is that I’m going to run out of ideas for hand signals and thought it would be really helpful if I had a book that already had a list of signals.

Does anyone know if there is something like this out there, or does anyone have a list of hand signals they use for their dogs that they wouldn’t mind sharing?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-28 13:47:01
  • BootzBootz
    I'm not sure if there is a hand signal book, but please continue on reinforcing training with verbal commands also.

When I train Bootz, I start with both Verbal and Physical commands. Once she learned the trick, i switch in between verbal and physical commands so she will respond to both. I think this method really helps, especially since during recall, even in a distracted environment, Bootz ears will perk up and she will look for me once I call her name.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    You might want to refer to books on sign language. There are numerous signs that can be paired with verbal commands.

I prefer to use hand signals especially over distance. They are quite easy to teach and strengthen your rapport with your dog. Just don't flip the bird at someone when walking them. The dog might get the wrong idea.
    犬竜
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    There are formal obedience hand signals which are...handy ;) you would learn those in a class, and the AKC website lists them also I believe in their obedience regs.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • KitsuKitsu
    This book, 101 Dog Tricks, has a lot of tricks and shows the different hand signals. The book has mixed reviews but the hand signals are pretty standard.
  • I would learn the standard obedience hand signals and work with your dog that way--at least initially.

• Awesome! Thanks everyone, I'm definitely planing on using both verbal and hand signals to train and then switch between them both. Thanks for all the reference material though, I'm definitely going to look into all of it! :)
  • AnnaAnna
    I've just been making up my own, lol. On the upside I can easily remember them.

On the downside I tend to have some overlap and Hammond can get confused. Also, for both my hand and verbal cues, I'm different than the "standard", so I have to correct the trainers, lol.

For example: My hand signal for Wait and Nose are pretty similar (Hand up, palm facing him).

Trainers try to tell him to Stay, but I've only taught him Wait. Same for Touch, which I taught him as Nose. And to "break" a wait, I used Let's Go or Get It, rather than Break or Release or whatever.

I figure I'll never be entering him competitive obedience, so I'll just use whatever is easiest for me, since I'm the one who has to use the commands all the time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)