For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Favorite Treats
  • Hey I'm in training mode with my 4 and half month old Ella. We're going through a lot of treats. I was wondering what are other peoples favorites?

Originally we used beef and brown rice treats from Pet Botanics till we realized that the primary ingredient was pork: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750420

We also used Bil Jac PB & Banana.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4400888&clickid=prod_cs

I searched and didn't really find too much else in the forum. If I missed something let me know.
    We're looking for somthing small or easy to break up that she'll go for.
    What did you use for training?

Thanks!
  • LosechLosech
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-04-01 16:36:41
  • We use Zuke's and we also make our own treats. There isn't really a recipe we just put a can of salmon into the food processor, four eggs, a tsp of powdered garlic, 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup (how ever much you have!) grated kraft parmesan cheese and begin adding oatmeal until it resembles a cookie dough like consistency. Then we spread into a cookie sheet (about 1" thick, if you only do one can of salmon I suggest an 8x8 or 9x9 pan) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so or until no longer 'wet' looking. I'm sure there is a more formal recipe online but our shiba REALLY loves these! They are REALLY cheap and you can cut them as small/big as you'd like. I know when we were training Lady she went through treats really quick, so these were easy.

We store them in the freezer!
  • deerparkdeerpark
    Post edited by deerpark at 2012-04-01 19:57:06
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    @Losech I have a version of Pet Botanics Beef and Brown Rice that is corn free, ingredients are: pork liver, barley flour, whole ground potatoes, sucrose, beef, potato starch, glycerine, wheat bran, gelatin, rice flour, flax seed, salt, natural smoke flavor, garlic powder, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate, mustard, iron oxide, citric acid, mixed tocopherols, rosemary.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about what ingredients are good etc. So I would appreciate your opinion on the list above. Thanks.

• Lradd58Lradd58
    Freeze dried beef liver works very well with my two Shibas. Also Charlie Bear treats.
  • I've read that you need to be careful with over-doing freeze dried liver? I was about to order a bunch but then read that you were only supposed to give 2-3 pieces a day.
  • SayaSaya
  • LosechLosech
    @RyuDragon That version of the treats are better than the first types.

"Bad" ingredients are generally things like fractured grain products (wheat millings, corn gluten) unnamed meat products (poultry by-product, animal digest) artificial preservatives (BHT, BHA).
    You want to see things like chicken meal, beef liver, whole barley, ground oats, and preservatives like tocopherols.

I generally avoid anything with wheat, corn, soy, chicken (unless in very small amounts), and sometimes potatoes, since Conker reacts badly to all of those.

You can read more about ingredients to avoid on this site:
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients
  • Umi will do ANYTHING for liver jerky treats. Most of the time she is all Shiba - doesn't like being handled, won't come when called and has complete amnesia about all of the commands she has been taught. Pull out liver treats? She will voluntarily do ALL the tricks she knows in sequence, without having to be asked, just at the mere sight of a liver treat. She is the world's smartest, most studious dog whilst the liver treats are out. Put 'em away and she has a lobotomy.....
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
  • We just got our little girl Saturday and she is very picky about her treats. I read really good things about Zukes on here and at first she liked them, but she doesn't really seem to like them as much anymore. We went to our local pet store and told them and they suggested Stella and Chewy's which she LOVES. She wouldn't get off of them. They're all natural as well and break apart easily. So you can turn 1 treat into about 4 or 5 (at least while the puppies are still small).

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/index.php
  • jjlcjjlc
    we have a few paychecks for Miko depending on what we're doing or the environment we're in.

$5/hr treats - zukes jerky or mini's.

$10/hr treats - Solid Gold jerky treats

$20/hr treats - boiled chicken, cheese, most anything real.

• glitchglitch
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-29 14:02:57
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma loves string cheese and duck for his high value treats. For regular treats for sit and down and what not, we were using venison treats and zukes salmon treats, Kuma isn't too picky except he hates peanut butter for some reason
  • If you want a killer dog treat, freeze some chicken or beef, slice it extremely thin, making sure to cut off any fat (fat won't dehydrate). marinade it in something tasty (no garlic, no onion, it's poisonous. And try not to use a lot of salt either) I marinade in just a dry spice rub of paprika, parsley, ground mustard, salt, and pepper. Then use either a dehydrator or set your oven to as low as it'll go and dehydrate the meat until its almost crunchy. I keep it in the freezer and that's the treat that Roxi and Ozzie go CRAZY over
    Post edited by Nickh08215 at 2012-09-29 13:31:02
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • @lindsay really?? Is it ok in general or just in small amounts? Because I read that you shouldn't give it at all
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Oh ok, I had no clue
  • I've tried lots of different treats. She doesn't like peanut butter or bacon or any treat that's hard and crunchy. Her favorite treats are lamb, beef, chicken, apple, or cheese type flavors.

The Zukes minis make her sick. I can give her one or two and she will have the world's worst gas!

Her favorite is freeze dried lamb lung so we use that as her highest reward along with string cheese. The other ones we use as lower value rewards are pet botanics, fruitables, lickity sticks, and pupperoni.
  • KitsuKitsu
    Zukes Minis made my shiba go crazy, she loved them. She didn't like harder snacks as much. But bully sticks were a huge hit (and most are low-odor now!)
  • @curlytails-I also love the crunchy Fruitables, and Okami approves too! :)

Since everyone seems to recommend them, I'm going to try out the Zukes Minis as a higher priority treat during more intense training.

Other than the Fruitables, I also give her these Nutro Crunchy treats. The ingredients seemed ok to me, but what do you guys think? http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-food/treats-biscuits/crunchy-berry-dog-treat.aspx

I liked the Nutro ones because they're a bit easier to break up into smaller pieces, whereas the Fruitables are sometimes a pain to break up, especially when I need a larger number of rewards vs. bigger rewards.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My dog is a big fan of all the Zuke's treats. We also used cheese and dehydrated meats when training. Blueberries are also a favorite. We used to give strawberries until he tasted a blueberry - he won't even really eat strawberries anymore...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)