For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What triggers your Shiba 500?
  • Kyuubi usually goes crazy after a good pee pee. After she play we let her out to do her thing and the moment she walks in the door she'll go nuts and run in circles
  • Stef777Stef777
    Kendaux will do the shiba 500s randomly but mainly when my boyfriend squats down and slaps the ground. It's his way of telling kendaux game on lets play! Then watch out blurry dog!! ;)
  • SayaSaya
    Saya will do her shiba 500 after a hour or two hour walk lol I guess that wasn't long enough of a walk.. She only does that during winter and cool weather never in summer and hot days. Saya much more hyper in winter her favorite season.

Saya loves to dig into fleece blankets or fleece sweaters she'll then do the shiba 500.

She also will do it when I'm playing with her and she gets excited.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Hir0Hir0
    same as the OP after going to the bathroom or coming home after a long time.
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz does it randomly. But she gives off a few barks as a warning, also as a way to say "lets play!" then shiba 500s. I think its her way of releasing energy, it happens more often when the weather is wet and I can't take her to the park.

Jackie does her Jackie 500 randomly too. It happens less frequently than Bootz' shiba 500, but its so adorable seeing a little 5 lb black dog running around the room. You'd think she's a rodent. LOL.
  • jjlcjjlc
    It seems to be triggered by the time of day, specifically around 9pm. It doesn't matter if we've been playing all afternoon, taken long walks, etc. She'll start by faux digging in her bed and then she's off to the races. When she was a little smaller she had a full circuit she would run out of the master bedroom, into my daughters room, around her chair, back into the master, dive/slide across the hardwood under the bed, out the other side and repeat. Fortunately she doesn't fit under the bed anymore.
  • SayaSaya
    Also giving Saya a bath triggers it once she is done getting dried off she'll go after the towel dig into it and bite it and then run like crazy.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • roxanneroxanne
    After a good long walk. I haven't taken him on a walk that wears him out yet, and we've taken some long walks! He just LOVES getting out of this harness, and for the time being, we don't have a yard he can run loose in. So he does the 500 in the 500 sq ft fenced in yard we have! Also, when I get home and go out to play, the first thing he does is a 500 run. Then we play fetch or do some training. or both.
  • Tiger Lily is very random. We can usually see the gleam in her eyes a minute or so before it starts. Sometimes she can be encouraged into doing it by taps on the floor.

She will sometimes do a 500 around the back yard if she doesn't want to come in. In that case, all you need to do is crouch as if you want to pick her up, and she will zoom around, kicking up dirt.

Ari has only been home about a week, so we haven't seen him do it yet. I don't remember how old Tiger Lily was when she did her first one, but we are interested to see if he is as fast as she is... and if they will do it together!
    Post edited by TigerLily_Aristotle at 2012-03-28 19:00:40
  • koyukikoyuki
    My two do it as soon as they see one of us for the first time in the morning, every time they go in the backyard,if they hear of the neighbours dogs barking, if my cat is sprinting around and climbing up the screen doors,if kids come around or if you want them to come inside and they are not ready. They have so much energy, although they do less of them throughout the day when we take them for their big run/walk.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Hir0Hir0
    @saya I definitely forgot about after baths he seems to understand air dry very well!
  • emmyemmy
    Coming in from the cold seems to be a trigger for mine. Maybe he's warming up before one of his 50 daily naps?? :)
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Bruce just tends to do it at certain times of day. In the morning when we wake up, and in the evening when we're "trying" to wind down.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    A good long walk, a bath, or a good poop will send my dogs into the Shiba 500/zoomies.

Jesse
  • speeedspeeed
    i propose we make a video thread of shiba 500s!!!
  • HibariShibaHibariShiba
    Ponta goes nuts both during and after walks. During a walk, it is after he poops, and may be because he was denied freedom to do something or go somewhere. Usually it is in a field or open area, and not (thankfully!) a road.

We don't have any videos of him recently, but here are a couple of when he was a puppy. The first one is raw video of him in a restricted space--his pen--and the second one is more fun, with nice edits and what I think is fully appropriate background music.

• Bruce2011Bruce2011
    Just before bedtime he runs around the living room, around the furniture over and over again. :)
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood does it after walks & before bedtime. As soon as I lay down in bed at night I can be guaranteed that Elwood will do a quick Shiba 500, grab a toy, and plop it down on my face. After he realizes that I'm not going to play, he curls up next to me & goes to sleep.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Sakura is triggered by baths, morning poo, and right before bedtime. Her 'speciality' is leaping between our two couches.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro will do that after walking in the rain. He gets crazy! Here's a video of him doing the 500.

Post edited by shibahiro at 2012-03-29 11:31:02
  • SaskaShibaSaskaShiba
    I currently have the shiba 250 due to smaller qualifiers. Lol. But bath time is the biggest trigger
  • konpeitokonpeito
    The Shiba 500 trigger for Apollo seems to be after we clean up the dinner table? Or after he gets really excited from a play session. They always happen in the evening though.

He just found his favourite pink ball that had been stuck under the sofa for the last couple days and went crazy.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • Kinako will do the Shiba 500 after he comes into the house from a car ride. If you get him worked up while playing he'll run around the living room then jump on the couch and start digging like crazy.
    Also, his tail is constantly curled up except for when he sleeping and when he's doing the Shiba 500.
  • Bailey82Bailey82
    Bailey goes for a Shiba 500 after a good poop....he just goes non stop when we get in the house. Also playing fetch can trigger one.
  • LosechLosech
    Lets see...

Before playing, during playing, after playing. After getting wet, if another dog initiates play, after digging, if I leap and stomp loudly in front of him, if I tell him to, whenever he wants.
  • pekupekupekupeku
    Hinoki used to do the zoomies all the time when he was a baby. Nowadays, he generally only zooms around when his best friend comes over to our house to play. He is so happy that he just goes insane running around the house!
  • Zim gets the zoomies sometimes when someone is playing with him. He'll get so excited about fetching something (or whatever) that he'll just zoom right past (sometimes half picking it up over and over again) and start doing circles around the coffee table---or a circuit of the room that has him jumping up and running across the couch. It's hilarious.
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-04-06 00:34:36
  • kiba888kiba888
    There is a section in Kiba's play area that I block, every time he climbs over and I catch him and pick him up to redirect he bites at my hands. The moment I put him on the ground the 500 begins. It's pretty annoying when he bites at my hand though, I don't mind him doing the 500, but is there a way to stop him from nipping/biting my hand. He's been desperately trying to get back into that area.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts does the shiba 500 when Gidget provokes him. Gidget hides under the table outside inbetween all the chairs. She barks at guts from under the table and fights him off so that he can't get under the table. So Guts gets frustrated and runs around the table over and over, while gidget just barks at him. They do this every day!
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz and Jackie use to do the 500s around 11:30 pm just before bed. But lately i've noticed Bootz hasn't been doing 500s at all. Does the frequency of shiba 500s usually die down with age?

I assume its normal because she's very mellow and not active. Although she is fit and in good health.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    WARNING ... teaching agility only makes this worse LOL

Since adding Tanjiro into the mix I have found that Bear now believes the sectional is just another agility obstacle like some strange jump. If Tanjiro is running laps around the sectional Bear has no issue jumping onto the coffee table, onto the couch, onto the back of the couch, and then down to the floor off the back side to cut Tanjiro off.
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan normally does them after a bath or returning home from a walk after pooping. :D
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @redcattoo thanks!! Will be starting agility this spring!!(lol)
    Kobe seems to do this after his last walk at night. Knows he's going to bed but has to get rid of that last bit of energy!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • glitchglitch
    after walks he'll do the shiba 500s sometimes.
    Also when we catch him doing bad things he'll go nuts... like if he's in the backyard and he starts digging and we yell or knock on the window and startle him, he totally knows he wasn't supposed to do that so he starts zooming around everywhere.. it's really funny!
  • Hiiro also does his shiba 500 mostly after a long walk, after a bath and sometimes just randomly lol
  • Jax usually does the shiba 500 after coming in from outside or when he's trying to get us to chase him around the living room. He used to do it a lot more when we lived in our apartment because he could run a figure 8 track around the furniture. At our new house he has a long hall way and just the coffee table to run around so I guess its not as much fun lol!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Funny, it seems to be pretty common that they all love doing the Shiba 500 after coming in from outside. Bear did this all the time when he was the only dog, always ended up waking my husband up after the morning walks. With two, if I don't let them do it at the end of the walk on the golf course (much easier than in the house) they both will do it in the house after a walk too. I wonder what it is about the end of a walk/coming inside that excites them into frantic Shiba 500's. :)
  • DaghainDaghain
    When I come home from work and let Keiko out of her crate, she has to do the Shiba 500 for a few minutes before she'll let me put her harness on to take her out (I know she has to pee, but apparently she has to get the zoomies out of her system first!). She also does it after we come in from our walk and I take the harness off. Although for Keiko, she runs at about 1/2 speed. So more the Shiba 250.
  • Tre26Tre26
    Yup the longer the walk the more likely it happens. I thought it was just our dog. Yet another Shiba endearing trait. :))
    Tre26
  • ekamin01ekamin01
    Loki does it after I come home from the gym. I let him out of the crate, he runs up on the couch, engages his ears and starts. It lasts a few minutes, a few times he knocked me down while I was taking off my shoes do to his lack of caring which direction he runs as long as he is running
  • bmass174bmass174
    oh my gosh. so funny. was just going to start a thread about this to see if my pup was the only one who does this. He will do it if we play chase. its usually after he comes inside. and he will only do it inside. funny thread : )
  • redcattooredcattoo
    The problem with the Shiba 500 in my house is with two dogs now, one getting close to 40lbs, they use the living room sectional as a way to bank turn 90 degrees. They launch onto it which sends it backwards into our big glass living room sliding doors and bank around to the other side. Sometimes if my older boy is not in the race lead he actually at the turn will go up and over the sectional (I am chalking this up to allowing him to learn agility contacts). While very funny, we try to discourage it as we know it could lead to more window damage or sectional damage.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-04-12 13:24:18
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    When our dogs(3) do their version of Shiba 500, they go between the bedroom and living room. They usually go under the bed, then into the living room jumping on the couch and turning around back into the bedroom and onto the bed. Sometimes they will just circle on top of the bed. Hoshi is our youngest and he almost "flies" onto the couch. At times I don't like it when they play on the bed because it wears out the bed spread, that I make, but it is so fun to watch.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    My husband wanted me to add, it can be fun to watch until the moment they are racing around the Shiba 500 and head to the bedroom only to slide on the tile full speed into a large sliding glass door from our bedroom to the pool area shattering it at a cost of about $1,000 to replace the glass and put on new hurricane impact film ... Yes, that happened ... luckily in Florida we have hurricane impact film that prevented them from potentially going through the glass or it coming out of the frame after shattering. We feel blessed the dogs didn't get hurt, but it has caused us to discourage in house Shiba 500 races now and leave those races to the golf course play.
  • bmass174bmass174
    I love reading throught these and seeing that each shiba or group of shibas in a home have their own version of laps they do haha. And @redcattoo its like a video game when he finally finds the short cut entrance and takes it to win. Makes me smile
  • redcattooredcattoo
    :) Been a long time since I played video games, but I laughed remembering some of those secret short cuts to advance further, quicker, or get special rewards from the games I played through high school and college. Yes, I guess you could consider the up and over the sectional his version of the short cut entrance :) :) :)
  • bmass174bmass174
    i pride my self in making random connections. Im just glad you actually understood this one. Most of the time it backfires and i dont look too smart in the end. HAHA : )
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    Kichi does it when she's on the 20ft lead in the yard and if I poke her in the butt (no joke)
    The first time she did it I was playing with her, I'd poke and run away and she went into the 500 and ran circle around me and made me dizzy!! Haha she also likes to do it in beach grass
  • DaghainDaghain
    OMG, I've had Keiko about 5 weeks now, and she now limits her Shiba 500 to "Mom came home from work". It's hilarious! She runs all over the house, attacks her toys, and displays a play stance for me. I've learned to feed her BEFORE her walks, or she drags out the door...I suspect she's figured out food comes after walks, and she'd rather have food. So, now we feed and walk. It's working much better. But yeah, mommy coming home from work freak-out (I call it kazoomies) is a given. It's totally cute.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    LMAO!!!! I LOVE THE SHIBA 500!!! nanook will do it when I come home from work really late, he gets very excited and will jump and run over my couch as if it was a hurdle and then he runs upstairs jumps on and over my bed one time he jumped over my queen size bed in the middle of his 500 lol I have to record him doing it. He will also do his shiba 500 if I happen to have his favorite toy. I wish he would use that energy on tearing up his deer antler and deer hooves smh -.-''
  • janjan
    Bandit gets zoomies after coming back from a walk or when I have one of his "special" toys (these are toys that he only gets to play for 15-20 minutes at a time). He also does a toned down version of a Shiba 500 when he sees the Kong Wobbler. He'd run/hop in a circle until I put the wobbler down. Then he'll sit nicely until I give him the go ahead.
    See what Bandit's up to from my blog: Shorty&Me

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)