For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
raw thread
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-06-09 09:44:30
  • LosechLosech
  • koyukikoyuki
  • LosechLosech
    @koyuki You can always hold onto the necks. I have to do it every once in a while for Conker since he'll decide to be a brat and not eat whatever it is unless I hold it. Or, you can give something bigger, like a chicken leg or leg quarter and just let them gnaw off some of it, then feed the rest later.
    You can give them just about anything they can chew up. Backs, necks, wings, breast, legs, roasts (a whole roast is sometimes fun), cornish hens, any boneless meats like steak and pork... If they have difficulty with something, don't feed it again until they are older and have bigger teeth/stronger jaws. Just keep a record of what they can and can't handle, and only give them what they have no issue chewing up.
    Conker could get through a pork neck bone (actually chew up and eat the entire thing) at 6 months, so they should be able to eat fairly difficult stuff soon.

Dogs rarely actually choke on stuff, and swallowing large chunks after minimal chewing is very normal eating behavior, it just freaks us humans out when we see it. They can choke though, I'm not trying to downplay it as choking is a real risk for any food (I know someone who's dog died from choking on kibble) but in order to avoid it, you should teach them to chew longer by feeding bigger pieces (larger than their head, for example) or holding onto it. You can cut stuff up into tiny bits but with bones, that can be difficult. And as a rule, always supervise them when they are eating food, especially with bones in it.
  • koyukikoyuki
  • LosechLosech
    @koyuki Sure, but take it really slow. Only give a little sliver at first since organs are very rich and too much could cause a blow-out. If they don't have a problem with it, slowly increase the amount you give until they can handle a "normal" piece. For Conker, that is usually about .3 ounces of beef liver, or 1 ounce of heart. He can handle up to 2 ounces of liver at once no problem now, but it took a while to get him to that point.
  • koyukikoyuki
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-03-27 21:44:18
  • KitsuKitsu
    Looks like they like it. I probably could never give a raw diet. Too gore-ish. I'd be a vegetarian.... If I wasn't raised on meat and only if meat didn't taste so good :P

Edit: Is premade raw gorey at all?? I'm used to cooking chicken, beef, and venison so I'm used to seeing them raw but anything else is a little gross for me :P Also, @Saya it looks like you are the expert on raw on the forum so I'll ask you a couple questions. The eggs you feed, are they special eggs or just eggs from a store? And what type of canned fish do you feed? I'm guessing not tuna because of the mercury content, but who knows! I'm almost clueless when it comes to this!
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-03-28 17:31:30
  • SayaSaya
  • KitsuKitsu
    I think I'll probably stick to kibble, and maybe give something raw occasionally as a treat. For now at least. Eggs you just give to saya untracked and she doesn't eat the shell?
  • KitsuKitsu
    Well, I the things that threw me off were mainly the "secreting organs" Kibble is probably more within my budget right now, so raw/other stuff can be treats. Eggs will be easy to give though :P
  • koyukikoyuki
  • koyukikoyuki
  • KitsuKitsu
    I'll only have one dog. The breeder I talked to feeds Iams Puppy, Iams is a pretty bad brand in terms of quality I heard. Could this just be because 18+ dogs to take care of could be really priceY?
  • SayaSaya
  • shibahiroshibahiro
  • jujeejujee
  • LosechLosech
  • It may be worthwhile for people interested in feeding non factory farm raw to see if there are any local pasture raised farms. A lot of the pastured, organic meat farmers you see in green markets, if you ask they often have backs, necks, feet, and some organs available for significantly less money than the rest of their meat. It's not usually listed on their boards but it is often available (marrow bones too). The price I've found (in NYC, one of the most expensive areas in the country) ranges from $1.00-$1.50 per lb which is significantly less than high end kibble.

At any rate, if you're interested it is always worthwhile to investigate the local farms and speak with the farmers directly if it is possible.
  • koyukikoyuki
  • SayaSaya
  • MayamaMayama
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-03-29 21:42:57
  • SaskaShibaSaskaShiba
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-03-31 10:09:06
  • Thanks @shibamistress for posting my comment from the other thread! I got busy at work and then went to pick up my puppy from SC so I didn't have time to move it! I'm going to have to scour through this thread as I'm seriously considering switching her to raw. Her coat has a lot of dandruff in it that I think would really benefit from raw.
  • BootzBootz
    Thanks for making this thread Saya. The links were really helpful. I'm thinking of switching my little shih tzu mix to raw because she is one picky eater. We already went through 6 different types of kibble and she gets bored of them fast, even end up skipping meals. I was wondering if switching to raw will help me fix this problem. I already checked with the vet and they said she has no health problems....so im trying whatever i can to get her to eats meals. She loves canned food but will picks her kibbles out, to avoid it. Unfortunately i cant just feed her canned food since its so pricey. Any advice would help, thanks in advance!
  • SayaSaya
  • BootzBootz
    lol. I love your detailed posts. It really helps. I'll research it a bit more and see how it'll work out. But in the meantime i'll try some raw treats. Thanks Saya!
  • InoushiInoushi
    I startred to transition Kenshin yesterday. I got a really good deal on chicken wings, and kenshin is in heaven. My only issue is if this is a good cut to start with? Im doing it slowly so Ken still has acess to kibbel. Did part of a wing yesterday, and he finished it with a full wing for breakfast. I didn't see any weird poop, but im not sure if its too soon to know if its too much bone content. Hearing that first crunch and seeing his joy, made me wish I started sooner.
  • XabiXabi
  • SayaSaya
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-04-06 21:19:21
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-04-06 23:31:10
  • InoushiInoushi
    How old can freezer meat get and stay safe for a dog? Im probably going to stock up on meat soon, my mom gave me the deep freezer to use and its big. Im in ny so haretoday seems like a good option, though Im probably going to hit he farmer's market and see what they have first.

Glad to hear chicken wings are a good option to start with. So far no problems. Though he did have oatmeal in the morning as well.
  • SayaSaya
  • InoushiInoushi
    I just struck gold, leg quaters are going 69 cents a pound. If anyone is in brooklyn, ill tell you where if you pm me.
  • wliu003wliu003
    Awesome thread. I've never given my dog a full on raw diet but shes had plenty of chicken drum sticks, chicken thighs, and pork ribs.

Our family does a lot of whole roasted chicken and we used to either throw the chicken back and neck away (or something use them for stock) but now I think I'm just going to collect them and give them to my Shiba.
  • SayaSaya
  • kirjohkirjoh
    Quick question. I feed Penny kibble (she gets Blue Buffalo currently, but I may switch her to the grain free Blue when she starts on adult food), and I am not.planning on feeding her raw, but it seems like you are saying that raw as a treat is good too? What size or what type of thing would you do for a treat of raw?

Also I was just curious about the egg. Can you tell me the benefits of mixing a raw egg.into the kibble? I'm curious.
  • Okami's rather funny sometimes. When she was still on kibble and canned food, she'd practically inhale it like she was starving. But now that she's on a complete prey model raw diet, she's suddenly gotten picky!

It's like a crime now for her to eat the same thing in the morning and the evening XD
  • SayaSaya
  • ncieloncielo
    Post edited by ncielo at 2012-04-20 10:31:52
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)