For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Good fencing for Shibas
  • While I haven't seen this question asked a lot, it does seem like an important question: what kind of fencing is good for Shibas?

I thought I'd share a story of what happened today--and has happened in the past--as examples of what is NOT good fencing, so hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

We have a 1/2 acre which is fenced in with typical fencing for rural NM: stock fencing, which is basically this: image While I would love to have a wood privacy fence, we can't afford to have this rather large property refenced, so we make do.

The problem is, the squares of the fence are big enough that dog with a small head, like a Shiba, can get her head out. And Bel did, and was rather badly injured a few years ago by coyotes. She was bit on both sides of the neck by coyotes.

Since then, we've reinforced the fence with chicken wire and a smaller gauge of stock fencing (smaller holes) so she can't get her head out. But she can still get her muzzle out in places, and today, after fence fighting with some loose dogs, she came in with pretty big wound on her muzzle. Whether she was bit by the dogs from the other side of the fence or whether she caught her muzzle on a piece of wire is not entirely clear, but either way, this happened because she COULD get her muzzle through the fence.

Anyway, I wanted to just warn other people so this doesn't happen to them. Make sure your Shiba can't get their head or muzzle through the fence, especially if you live in an area where there is a lot of wildlife or where there may be loose dogs. If you can afford other kinds of fencing rather than stock fencing or chain link, I'd really recommend it.

• koyukikoyuki
    Coyotes! How scary! I feel very lucky that where i live all the houses have the exact same fencing which are full fences of corrugated tin i think it is? We did have to lower our back gate though because given the chance they couldve stuck their heads underneath and knowing from personal experience they could really hurt themselves (my heel got sliced off by getting caught under this exact same fencing,not at all nice i can tell you!) . We have had to put puppy wire all along the bottom and wood logms because both our neighbours have dogs that dig and our dogs and theirs have the potential to get seriously injured.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • I have similar fencing, but my dogs have never tried to poke their muzzles through. I have 12" footer boards at the bottom to discourage digging.

Maybe you could put lighter weight, plastic coated wire fencing on the "inside" of the fencing, thus creating a double fencing with "distance" between the wires. The other option would be to use it on the outside, but to "offset" the squares of the two fences so that you wind up with smaller squares that would be difficult for muzzles to poke through.
  • Yeah, I did the "offset" thing, which is where Bel stuck her muzzle through today. Ugh. But someone just told me there is plastic chicken wire, which we could attach with plastic zip ties, so we're going to do that until we figure out a better solution.

My dogs only try to stick their muzzles through when there is another dog.....
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    I am in the middle of putting up 730ft of field fencing...it seems to work good. what I like about it, it has 2x6 openings 3 rows high and 1 opening 4x6 1 high and then the 6x6 starts.
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • And....Bel has 12 + stitches in her muzzle now, and clearly was bit--she has a puncture wound inside her mouth too, to match the one outside. She's going to be ok, but I sure this wish hadn't of happened.

@BuckyBadger....what's field fencing?
  • koyukikoyuki
    Sorry to hear that bel got so badly hurt!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I have no climb horse fence in the pasture, which, unlike field fence, has small 2x3 ish openings all over and discourages climbing and prevents the animals from sticking their limbs or faces thru the mesh. It lines the 6-8ft cedar fence on the inside. I like it much better than field fence (it's safer).
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Sorry to hear about Bel. Hope she recovers well and quickly.
  • @Lindsay...that does sound better. I guess stock fencing in the same as field fencing then? In any case, at least with a dog like Bel, who is determined to stick her face/head/paw through the fence, it's safer to have something with small openings.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Field fence was $150 for 330 ft...I wanted the horse fence but it was just too expensive for us

Photobucket

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-03-29 11:12:25
  • That's what I have, and I would not recommend it at all. Twice now my dog has been injured by animals outside the fence biting her. Once by coyotes which was a very serious injury indeed, and who knows, perhaps the head injuries are what triggered her seizures, as she didn't have them before.

And then this latest fight with loose dogs. 12-15 stitches, and she was very lucky--the puncture wound was so close to her eye, we're just extremely lucky she didn't lose her eye. I mean it was a fraction of an inch away.

I know it's cheaper--that's what we have too, and refencing our half acre is not something we're going to do any time soon. But my dog has been injured too many times by animals OUTSIDE the fence for me to suggest this as good fencing for a Shiba who is small enough to stick nose/muzzle, paws outside the fence.

At the very least, for people that have this kind of fence, make sure it is reinforced with chicken mesh or something so your dog cannot stick body parts outside the fence.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @shibamistress - How does Oskar do with that type of fencing?

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago that talked about Kentucky board fencing (I have searched several times since then and have not been able to find it). That seemed like a good solution if you could find the filler small enough so that a Shiba could not fit its head/muzzle out. Anyone remember which thread I am talking about?

Edit: Never mind, I found it... @stryker777337 - The photos no longer link in your thread... Any chance you could maybe post some photos and an update on how well that type of fence worked for you?

Thread:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/5456/belated-spam-update...../p1
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-03-29 14:11:33
  • Oskar's fine with it. He can't get out his muzzle out, and more to the point, Oskar has a strong sense of boundaries, and is not a jumper. He doesn't even jump up to put his paws on the fence like some Akitas would do. He doesn't cross boundaries we put up in the house, either, like baby gates. He seems to think, well, clearly I'm not supposed to go there, so I won't! My husband tried to get him to put his paws up on the gate so we could take a picture of him with our new Akita sign (photo on the NK side) and Oskar wouldn't do it. Partially, he didn't want to jump up, but he also looked kind of offended by the whole idea, like "we don't do that!" *lol* He's a funny dog, but a very good boy!

I'll check into this Kentucky board fencing idea.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Ha ha, that fence would not hold my CO for 1 second. Oscar is a good boy!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • And I looked up Kentucky board fencing, and it looks like it wouldn't be much better than what we have. We probably need wood or vinyl privacy fence. Some people had some ideas about just putting up siding (but putting it lengthwise) over what we have, and that's not a bad idea. I just saw someone try to feed Bel and Oskar something yesterday too--but they were gone before I could catch them--so I'd like more of a barrier!
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Luckily for us our dog doesn't hang around the fence... She just runs around.....What about chain link? That's what we have at our house...

• I have some chainlink too. Still not ideal, but as long as the dog can't get a muzzle out, I guess it's ok.
  • LosechLosech
    About 1/3 of my fence is chain-link. It works fine, not amazing, but good enough. If you can get some slats to put in it that would prevent noses from being stuck out and potentially bitten.
  • fattballfattball
    We fenced in 4 acres with 72 inch 12.5 gauge welded wire fencing. 1.5 to 2 feet is underground. The whole property was Firstly trenched down 2 feet. We used 6 foot field fencing poles every 12 feet. Every 5th one is set in concrete. It's worked so far. Our last place had 3 acres with chain link and wood with chicken wire on ground attached to bottom of fence. As to costs the fence cost $175.00 per 100 foot roll. Renting the trencher was 200.00 per 8 hours of machine time it took me about 16 hours on the machine. For the 4 acres its cross fenced and double fenced in areas and also there are 2 separate areas it took 38 rolls of fencing. Also I bought 400 6 foot heavy duty t posts they were 8.00 each. Concrete was 2.00 per bag and there was 70 bags used. I used wire and plastic attachers for the fence to t post and spent maybe $100.00 on those.
    I did most of the work by myself but when Rolling out the fence fabric rolls I hired my wife's brother at 10.00 an hour cash.

Total costs were
    72in x 100ft * 2in x 4in 12.5 Gauge * Galvanized rolls x 38x 175.00 6650.00 tax 598.50 7248.50
    6 foot heavy duty t posts x 400(I did not use all of them) x 8.00 3200.00 tax 288.00 3488.00
    connectors 100.00
    concrete 140.00
    trencher rental was 435.00 total
    labor free if you do it yourself or varies.
    total cost was 11406.50 plus labor
    tax rate here is 9% so your might be less.

Fence was not cheap but any other type would cost much more I got a quote for 6 foot chain link and it was close to 100,000.00

The fence works good for most types of dogs and seems to keep out rabbits and other animals that would get eaten by my Shibas, which is good for the little critters. The fence looks ok not great but its functional and sort of invisible.

If you want any pictures or have any questions you can message me.
    Post edited by fattball at 2013-07-18 13:56:20

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)