For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Adding another breed to the pack
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-03-23 14:12:19
  • Stef777Stef777
    kendaux sometimes plays with my neighbors Boston terrior and the poor thing is nearly dieing after 30 mins... I believe it's about 5 yrs old so not too old but it def. has a hard time keeping up with Kendaux.

I think that if you were to get a brachyceohalic dog it would be fine with Bruce as long as Bruce knew when to leave the other dog alone if it was having a hard time keeping up.

Sorry I don't have more info
  • catloreecatloree
  • SayaSaya
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-03-23 15:21:11
  • Stef777Stef777
    I know a few people with pugs and they do have a lot of problems with skin, breathing, heat intolerance, etc. But just like Lindsayt said every dog is different. The Boston Terrier in general is a more hearty breed that USUALLY has less problems than the other brachy ones.

• SayaSaya
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
  • BootzBootz
    Aside from the breed, its a personality thing. Like linsayt says, each dog is an individual. Bootz gets along with jackie my pom/shihtzu mix due to her laid back personality. Jackie on the other hand was the runt of her litter so she's very bossy, and wants things her way.

One of Bootz' favorite buddy is a Pug. They would play nonstop, even though they're exhausted. I think the only breed i've seen Bootz discriminate against are poodles. (i don't like them either XD).
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-03-23 17:50:10
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • konpeitokonpeito
  • SayaSaya
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-03-23 22:48:15
  • InoushiInoushi
    As someone who has been around a ton of bostons, I will say most of them are gassy bossy dogs. In their youth they are pretty energetic which is bad, because they push themselves over the limit and risk passing out. When they get old most just like to grumble and pass gas all day. I personally have no love for those breeds, very unhealthy, and a lot of other dogs don't like them. (Though I do like some individuas, gas aside)

When it comes to small dogs, shibas tend to be iffy around most, they usually play with themselves. Many play too rough for dogs in their class, well except corgis, some shibas love them, that and basenjis are also good. It depends on your dog's personality. I just caution against the breeds your girlfriend wants, if anything show her things on their health. Or look for olde versions. There are some good breeders breeding throwbacks, where dogs have a longer muzzle more like a boxers. I've seen a few olde english bulldogs and they looked really good.
  • LosechLosech
    I've got two Border Collie x Labrador Retrievers, but they don't really count since they don't play with Conker, or even each other really. They are boring when it comes to canine play partner, but for just hanging around, they are great.

It really depends on the individual. My Shiba gets along with most breeds. The only breed I can say he truly doesn't like and has never gotten along with are Setters. Dunno what's up with that, but he just don't like them.
    He does, however, get along very well with Belgian Malinois, Border Collies, Australian Cattle Dogs, Siberian Huskies, Labrador Retrievers, Mastiffs, and a couple other breeds. He tends to pick the medium-medium large breeds as his favorites.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-03-24 13:07:36
  • BootzBootz
    Bruce is about 4-5 months old right? I personally prefer adding another puppy now, so they can grow up together. Can you handle another puppy at this time? Remember since its not another Shiba you're adding, it might take even longer to housebreak. Two puppies can be a handful, but if they get along it'll be much easier.

Also, if you were to add a puppy when Bruce matures, there are a lot of people who mentioned their Shiba got less tolerant of other dogs once they got older. ALTHOUGH, i'm not saying its not possible. A lot of people have successfully addicted another Shiba to their pack when their current Shiba is about 1~2 years old. I just wanted you to keep that in mind.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • BootzBootz
    @shibamistress, the idea of my dogs passing at the same never crossed my mind until now. Just thinking about it makes my eyes teary. :( I hope the day never comes.
  • LosechLosech
    We got my two mixes at the same time (littermates) and while I wouldn't knowingly do this again, it worked out just fine for us. Out Vet was actually shocked when she found out my two mixes were sisters and never fought. But keep in mind that we are the exception to the two puppy rule. Normally, two puppies is a real hassle to train since if one can get away with it, why can't the other?

Anywho, I agree with Lindsay and Lisa. Wait until he's older so he can show the new pup the ropes. Juneau and Sasha have helped Conker a bit with his people skills, and also how to swim! So having an older, well-behaved dog to mentor the pup is often better than jumping in and getting another halfway through the first.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-03-25 01:51:41
  • konpeitokonpeito
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • BootzBootz
    Bruce...just go by what you feel and what you think would be best (hopefully they're both the same). I honestly would not factor in the whole passing thing. I would go into details of pros and cons of getting them both same time or separate but that would be a HORRIBLE thing to talk about.

Just remember, your work load would be AT LEAST double, if not tripled. As many have mentioned the new puppy can teach Bruce bad habits and vise versa!
  • koyukikoyuki
  • Luis00183Luis00183
    My parents own three pugs and obviously since im a new owner to a shiba i wanted her to play with them to socialize them. I have socialized her countless times at puppy daycares and dog parks but she acts nothing at all like she does with them with the pugs. She gets very aggressive and wary of them. This could be just my Shiba, but ive never seen her show all her teeth like she did with those pugs. I agree with some posts that a shiba may have a friend breed, but for my shiba she doesnt like pugs lol. Again that could be just my shiba and every shiba is unique in their attitude towards other breeds. My shiba loves giant dogs, GSD's, labs, golden retrievers, you name it! but good luck and i hope it works out for you!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • SayaSaya
  • catloreecatloree
  • My suggestion: Consider getting a Corgi from a good breeder. The Corgis and the Shibas play well together at our dog park.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • My experience at the dog park, for what it's worth, is that Frenchies and Shibas get along fairly well.

Enjoy your new fur friend!
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • Hir0Hir0
    I think hiro has tried to persuade me to get a sibe, every time i have been to the dog park and there is a sibe in his sight doesn't matter the color or size he will dart right on over once he sees them. It's quite funny actually. The only dog that he ever does that with although he hasn't yet really socialized much with any other nk breeds so i would be interested to see how that goes since i would love to get a kai in the future
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
  • catloreecatloree
  • BootzBootz
    Congrats on Zoey!! Nice to know one owner's loss is another owner's gain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)