For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Adding another breed to the pack
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Hey All,

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice/experience on getting a 2nd dog of a different breed. Are there certain breeds that mesh well with Shibas? Am I going to run into problems if our 2nd dog is the breed that my girlfriend wants?

My girlfriend loves our Shiba Bruce, but also wants another dog. I have to admit the thought of a new puppy does sound like a lot of fun and I've been warming up to the idea.

However, my concern is that she wants/likes brachycephalic dogs... like Pugs, Frenchies, & Boston Terriers, which sound like they are the exact opposite of a Shiba... i.e. they're not athletic, their eyes can pop out of their head, and they have respiratory problems, they overheat with too much exercise, etc.

Bruce is actually a very low energy Shiba, and has been very good with other dogs, but even then I'd think that the Pug would have to be pretty high energy for it's breed to keep up with Bruce.

Anyone out there with a variety pack at home that can lend some advice?
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-03-23 14:12:19
  • Stef777Stef777
    kendaux sometimes plays with my neighbors Boston terrior and the poor thing is nearly dieing after 30 mins... I believe it's about 5 yrs old so not too old but it def. has a hard time keeping up with Kendaux.

I think that if you were to get a brachyceohalic dog it would be fine with Bruce as long as Bruce knew when to leave the other dog alone if it was having a hard time keeping up.

Sorry I don't have more info
  • catloreecatloree
    We have a Pomeranian & a Shiba, but the Pomeranian was here first, so I think the dynamics are a little different. Elwood absolutely adores Sadie. They don't really play together because Sadie is so much smaller (she weighs 6 pounds), but they will cuddle up next to one another when they sleep & they often lay side by side when they are chewing on bones. They both love going on walks & they are fine when I walk them together. Elwood is a VERY laid back Shiba, though, so I think that helps.

Good luck! I wish I could help more, but I think my situation is quite different since Elwood was our 2nd dog & Pomeranians are a little more like Shibas than Pugs or Boston Terriers since they are still a spitz breed...
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • SayaSaya
    Saya has met my cousin's female pug Lily. First meeting Saya snarked because Lily was being to in your face on first meeting, but after few meetings and going on walk they're now best friends.

Only thing Lily is horrible begger all she cares about is people food due to her owners not training her and giving her food from the table this dog jumps right on the table and digs into cake or pie so gross she has be in her crate during eating time due to that.

Saya and Bella on other hand don't beg Bella sometimes, but when reminded she goes on her business and plays with her toys or chews on her antler.

Bella is a boxer..

Saya haven't met a Boston not many go to the dog park at least when we go.

I dunno which one would be good matcher energy wise. IF Bruce gets a long with other dogs that's good.

There's some threads on people bringing or asking about second dog I forgot them all sorry.. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Thank you all for the feedback.

My girlfriend and I both like Boxers, they've got a really stern and powerful look to them. But unfortunately they are over the weight limit for our apartment complex (dogs must be under 40lbs) so it's not an option. Beautiful dogs though.

I'm pretty sure he'll be ok with playing with another dog, where I'm not so sure is how he'll react when another dog comes home... and starts getting a share of the attention and affection etc.

My old roommate has a Boston Terrier and I was thinking about setting up a doggy sleep over to see how he reacts.

I feel like of all the breeds that my girlfriend wants, the Boston Terrier seems to have the least health related issues, and from what I've read can range from 15-25lbs, so size wise it should be ok.

The only issue is the gas... Like I said my roommate had one of these dogs, and it's gas is terrible... on the hour, every hour, and it can clear a room with the smell.

sigh... if only all dogs were as amazing as Shibas :)
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Each dog is an individual, but I would say in general, herding breeds and terriers make the poorest choices for Shiba companions, as those groups of dogs TEND to be selected to use hard mouth in their work, much earlier in their action patterns, have strong prey drive, are quite large (herding) and terriers especially are USUALLY quite game for a fight and don't back down. There are of course exceptions here, but I believe a safer bet is breeds similar in size and less reactive than a Shiba. Brachy and toy breeds would be ok, IMO, as long as the play is supervised so that the Shiba is not mouthy around their bulging eyes.

I have other Shibas, and Kai, and a mellow but huge livestock dog (and his size requires supervision as well, and he is not allowed to play with small puppies due to prey drive).
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-03-23 15:21:11
  • Stef777Stef777
    I know a few people with pugs and they do have a lot of problems with skin, breathing, heat intolerance, etc. But just like Lindsayt said every dog is different. The Boston Terrier in general is a more hearty breed that USUALLY has less problems than the other brachy ones.

• SayaSaya
    Bostons are cute dogs only met frenchie once he was friendly forgot how old I think was pretty young like year old or two, but he didn't play with Saya or Bella just hanged with owner.

Which ever breed you get be sure to find good breeder who breeds for health too.
    Photobucket
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @Saya,

Agreed on finding a good breeder. Given the potential for all the health issues it's my number one priority that whichever brachy breed we adopt come from from the healthiest of lines. I'm in no rush, and don't have issues paying more for a quality pup.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Personally, I would watch how he acts near breeds of that type. Sakura has met a couple and never gotten along with any of them (I think due to the breathing noises they made). If Bruce gets along with them though, the 'sleepover' might not be a bad idea.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • BootzBootz
    Aside from the breed, its a personality thing. Like linsayt says, each dog is an individual. Bootz gets along with jackie my pom/shihtzu mix due to her laid back personality. Jackie on the other hand was the runt of her litter so she's very bossy, and wants things her way.

One of Bootz' favorite buddy is a Pug. They would play nonstop, even though they're exhausted. I think the only breed i've seen Bootz discriminate against are poodles. (i don't like them either XD).
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-03-23 17:50:10
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    I just got back from the dog park right now (on a side note, someone stole my water bowl, WTF!) but anyhow, Bruce was playing pretty well with a 27lb boston terrier for at least a half hour, they were having a good time.

Bruce gets along with every dog he sees, with one exception, he doesn't like this French Bulldog that's in his training class. But IMO the Frenchie is the problem, not Bruce.

The Frenchie has zero social skills, it just barks and growls for the whole hour. It's totally evident that the owners never do anything with the dog, it has way too much pent up energy for the class, I mean we've only had 5 training classes, and they've already missed two of them...
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    The Frenchie is my INU's "nemisis" dog. Aside from suffering an unprovoked attack by a reactive one last May he does not get along with this breed except for one that has been a member of his dog run pack since he was a puppy. INU's first friend was a Puggle and when they meet still enjoy each others company. One of Penny's favorite friends is our neighbors Boston Terrier. They can't get enough of each other.

There is one Frenchie whose owner took a swing at INU with a pooper scooper last year (I stilll wonder how I kept my cool and not go off on this guy-possibly I was in disbelief). His reason was to keep INU away from his dog. What I did notice was his dog would lunge at INU as he walked by. He would do this to other dogs too. Never did this owner ever correct his dogs aggressiveness. His behavior (the owner) was to let his dog run around the park while he would sit on the bench texting. BTW, this Frenchie has had problems with other dogs too.

Sorry for my rant, but "Frenchie" touched a sore spot on my soul.

Like others have said each dog is an individual. But to generalize, my best experiences with my Shibas have been with other Spitz breeds. The brachycephallic breeds they have done best with are Puggles and Boston Terriers.

犬竜
  • If my Shibas are going to be ok with other dogs--something of a moot point now with my male who pretty much detests all other dogs--they tend to like dogs that look like them. They seemed able to identify other Shibas right away, and were interested in them. both of them were raised with a GSD so they tended to like them. Both of them HATE the bracephelic breeds....I'm not sure they understand they are dogs, like them. I know people have said it's hard for other dogs to read their expressions/gestures so perhaps it's that. Both of my Shibas seem to prefer dogs that are larger than them, and get along with them better.

I'd be thinking of dogs that can stand up to Shiba snark. Larger dogs are good, but of course, that won't work for you. Calm breeds would be good--what about a pittie, or is that too big? Most pitbulls are pretty chill dogs, and certainly enjoy some couch time with their pack, so they might fit in.

Terriers seem like maybe the worst possible option. I still think kind of regret encouraging my friend to get a Border Terrier (terriers for beginners some say, and I thought, my god, if this is the easy terrier, that scares me!) At least with my crew, the jumpy, bitey, hyper excited all the time terrier personality is NOT appreciated.

How about a Kai Ken? ;) More Nihon Ken!
  • konpeitokonpeito
    I was going to suggest a dog like a Husky or Akita since I've known people who had them with Shibas and they worked out great because of their similar traits and tendencies. But both are over the weight limit you're asking for.

Like others have said, it does come down to the personality. However, I'd generally stray from dogs that have a tendency to be yappy, or lapdogs. Apollo does not get along too well with tiny, noisy dogs. He doesn't get aggressive, he just avoids them because they're so loud and persistent. I'd also avoid lapdogs because of the tendency for small dog syndrome. Even though Shibas are not that big, they may still seem intimidating to smaller breeds which may lead to them overcompensating for their size.

Boston Terriers are a great option! I love them myself, they seem to have a sense of humour and like they would be able to take what a Shiba could dish out. Sorry I only really gave breeds/dogs I'd avoid. Apollo's an only child, and our last dog was a Golden Retriever, which I actually think could work out, but they are larger dogs.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • SayaSaya
    Pit bulls are terriers right or am I wrong?
    Photobucket
  • They are, but they don't have that "terrier" personality. Actually, bull terriers don't seem to have it that much either. I tend to forget that pitties, bull terriers, am staffs, etc. ARE terriers, because I think of "true" terriers as, you know, fox terriers, JRTs, scotties, etc.

I DO think Bostons are typical terriers. Not my favorite breed for sure. I actually love a lot of terriers, though, just don't ever want to have one myself.

Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-03-23 22:48:15
  • InoushiInoushi
    As someone who has been around a ton of bostons, I will say most of them are gassy bossy dogs. In their youth they are pretty energetic which is bad, because they push themselves over the limit and risk passing out. When they get old most just like to grumble and pass gas all day. I personally have no love for those breeds, very unhealthy, and a lot of other dogs don't like them. (Though I do like some individuas, gas aside)

When it comes to small dogs, shibas tend to be iffy around most, they usually play with themselves. Many play too rough for dogs in their class, well except corgis, some shibas love them, that and basenjis are also good. It depends on your dog's personality. I just caution against the breeds your girlfriend wants, if anything show her things on their health. Or look for olde versions. There are some good breeders breeding throwbacks, where dogs have a longer muzzle more like a boxers. I've seen a few olde english bulldogs and they looked really good.
  • LosechLosech
    I've got two Border Collie x Labrador Retrievers, but they don't really count since they don't play with Conker, or even each other really. They are boring when it comes to canine play partner, but for just hanging around, they are great.

It really depends on the individual. My Shiba gets along with most breeds. The only breed I can say he truly doesn't like and has never gotten along with are Setters. Dunno what's up with that, but he just don't like them.
    He does, however, get along very well with Belgian Malinois, Border Collies, Australian Cattle Dogs, Siberian Huskies, Labrador Retrievers, Mastiffs, and a couple other breeds. He tends to pick the medium-medium large breeds as his favorites.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Thanks again to everyone for the insight.

But I've got another question...
    When do you think would be an appropriate time to introduce the new dog into the pack?

Option 1:
    Wait till Bruce is more mature, so that we will only have to raise 1 puppy at a time. And hopefully, Bruce can act as a role model for the new puppy.

Option 2:
    Get another pup now (as soon as we are able from a reputable breeder)
    My thought is that if Bruce never knows life as an only pet he will be less likely to feel as if the new puppy is replacing him, or taking what used to be his (our attention, affection, etc.)
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @Losech

Bruce absolutely adores bigger dogs, he has no fear of them whatsoever. There is a Lab Retriever in his puppy training class with whom his is completely enamored. Their owner and I always show up to class about 15 min early and let them play together. The Lab is a rowdy puppy, but she is still so gentle with Bruce it's just adorable.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @Bruce- IMO, the age to introduce a new dog/puppy is dependent on your present dogs temperment and socialization. Some dogs will never tolerate another while others it does'nt matter. One thing to take into consideration is that Shibas can become intolerant of new dogs as they reach maturity.

INU was 13 months old when we got our female Shiba puppy Penny. Everything has gone well. Penny has learned alot from her older pack member and he helped to socialize her. INU also learned a thing or two from her.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-03-24 13:07:36
  • BootzBootz
    Bruce is about 4-5 months old right? I personally prefer adding another puppy now, so they can grow up together. Can you handle another puppy at this time? Remember since its not another Shiba you're adding, it might take even longer to housebreak. Two puppies can be a handful, but if they get along it'll be much easier.

Also, if you were to add a puppy when Bruce matures, there are a lot of people who mentioned their Shiba got less tolerant of other dogs once they got older. ALTHOUGH, i'm not saying its not possible. A lot of people have successfully addicted another Shiba to their pack when their current Shiba is about 1~2 years old. I just wanted you to keep that in mind.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Focus on training your current puppy. Remember, monkey see monkey do. If you have a young dog with bad habits in their endearing adolescent phase, you may end up with two in short order.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Yeah, I agree with Lindsay.

And frankly, I would never want to have two puppies at the same time. I need a rest in between. And-I know this is depressing to think about, but it happened to my vet recently, so its in my mind--I want my dogs not too be too close in age, because having them die at near the same time is just devastating. I prefer to have a spread in age.

And yes, Shibas do change temperament wise as they get older, and for me that doesn't mean I'd quickly get two close together, but that I would rather wait and get a sense of what my adult dog is going to be like before I add another.
  • BootzBootz
    @shibamistress, the idea of my dogs passing at the same never crossed my mind until now. Just thinking about it makes my eyes teary. :( I hope the day never comes.
  • LosechLosech
    We got my two mixes at the same time (littermates) and while I wouldn't knowingly do this again, it worked out just fine for us. Out Vet was actually shocked when she found out my two mixes were sisters and never fought. But keep in mind that we are the exception to the two puppy rule. Normally, two puppies is a real hassle to train since if one can get away with it, why can't the other?

Anywho, I agree with Lindsay and Lisa. Wait until he's older so he can show the new pup the ropes. Juneau and Sasha have helped Conker a bit with his people skills, and also how to swim! So having an older, well-behaved dog to mentor the pup is often better than jumping in and getting another halfway through the first.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-03-25 01:51:41
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Agreed... While it's great to have the dogs grow up together, a one year or so difference will still allow you to take a nice break from the puppy phase. Which is why I don't plan on another dog till Apollo's at least a year old. I don't like to think too much about the dogs' deaths but... It is something you should consider. I would hate to see how much one would mourn for the other, but now I think we're going too deep into the subject.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • I never even thought about that whole thing about them being in close in age and age of death until my vet told me they lost three dogs in one year. Two were expected deaths mostly due to age, and the third was not, but my god, how horrible that would be to endure!
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @Bootz

As far as my availability goes, right now is the best time for me to raise a puppy. I work for a contracting company, but do almost all of my work from my laptop at home. I only have to go into the office once a week, or less sometimes. Although, I expect that a year from now I'll have promoted to a position that will require more time at the office... This is the first time in 10 years or so that my work situation has been lenient enough for me to really dedicate the time needed to raising a puppy, and will likely be the last time that I have this opportunity until I'm old and ready to retire.

@lindsayt,

Bruce has actually been an amazing puppy, best I've ever known. He was basically already potty trained, only chewed for about a week, hardly barks, etc. I actually was worried that a new puppy might introduce new ways for him to misbehave that he might have never known otherwise. I would probably just wait to get a new puppy, but I also have to consider that a year from now my work situation may not be as ideal for raising a puppy as it is now.

@shibamistress,

This is probably the most compelling suggestion... I can't imagine going through multiple losses in close proximity.

Ugh.. don't know what to do.

• You know, if the time is right, and won't be next year, then I'd go for it. While yes, the multiple losses is scary, we really have no idea how long are pets will live (sadly) so if everything else is looking good now, then I'd say go for it.
  • BootzBootz
    Bruce...just go by what you feel and what you think would be best (hopefully they're both the same). I honestly would not factor in the whole passing thing. I would go into details of pros and cons of getting them both same time or separate but that would be a HORRIBLE thing to talk about.

Just remember, your work load would be AT LEAST double, if not tripled. As many have mentioned the new puppy can teach Bruce bad habits and vise versa!
  • koyukikoyuki
    I have been raising two puppies the same age at the same time and it has been a really rewarding experience. I dont know if it would be easier given that bruce would be a little bit older than the new puppy, but i would imagine so.i love the idea of my two pups growing up together, and it was always in our plans to get two puppies around the same time so they could grow up together. Its alot of fun :-P
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Luis00183Luis00183
    My parents own three pugs and obviously since im a new owner to a shiba i wanted her to play with them to socialize them. I have socialized her countless times at puppy daycares and dog parks but she acts nothing at all like she does with them with the pugs. She gets very aggressive and wary of them. This could be just my Shiba, but ive never seen her show all her teeth like she did with those pugs. I agree with some posts that a shiba may have a friend breed, but for my shiba she doesnt like pugs lol. Again that could be just my shiba and every shiba is unique in their attitude towards other breeds. My shiba loves giant dogs, GSD's, labs, golden retrievers, you name it! but good luck and i hope it works out for you!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Many dogs have problems with flat faced dogs (braychocephallic: like pugs). It could be the sounds of grunts, trouble reading facial cues, etc. My boy INU dislikes French Bulldogs.
    犬竜
  • SayaSaya
    Lot shiba inua seem not fond of pugs or any smooshed in face dog..

Poor Bella my parent's boxer we go to the shiba meet up and almost all the shiba are mean to her and don't want to meet her. She's pretty well behaved with dogs.

Only one of the shiba inu met her and they went and played at the dog park.

Saya doesn't lik GSD, Great Danes, boxers.

Only boxers she doesn't mind is Mollie, Bella, and Lilly. Lilly is an old boxer she just sits by people wanting pets, Mollie she loves to play with Saya and some reason Saya likes her, but other boxers she doesn't care for.

She loves Bella of coarse..

She just doesn't like Great Danes they are too big or something.

Lily my cousin's pug took Saya three our four visits till she calmed down with her. Lily mostly ignores Saya anyways she is always too busy begging for people food.

Photobucket
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood met a French bulldog at the dog park the other day & was absolutely in love. They spent 30 minutes just playing with each other & ignoring all the other dogs. He usually goes for herding or spitz types (herding because that's what he gets to play with at agility & he's gotten a fondness for Shelties & Border Collies), so I was surprised to see him so excited to play with the bulldog!
  • My dogs don't like any of the flat faced breeds either. Well, my Akita doesn't care one way or the other, but the Shibas don't like them.
  • My suggestion: Consider getting a Corgi from a good breeder. The Corgis and the Shibas play well together at our dog park.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Other than the possibility of losing two dogs of similar age at the same time, I would also mention the cost factor. Senior pets can be costly as they get older. I have friends with older dogs and they commented on how expensive canine healthcare is.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Well we ended up adopting a French Bulldog.

One of my girlfriends friends got a Frenchie as a present but her apartments don't allow dogs. She hid the pup for a while but her landlord found out and gave her a notice saying to get rid of the dog or move out.

She knew my girlfriend and I were looking, so she offered her to us. We "just went to take a look..." and, well, you know how that goes... she (now Zoey) was going home with us the same day.

Bruce and Zoey got along really well at our friends house and have been doing really well at our place too, but they do play a little rough some times.

We've been really dedicated to spending quality alone time with each of them in addition to time together. Bruce seemed a little confused the first week but is doing well now.

A few of Zoey's bad habbits have rubbed off on Bruce, specifically the crying. Zoey would cry for attention at our friends house so she did the same at ours, we ignored her as much as we could, but we have neighbors so we have limits. Bruce picked up on it and now he whimpers whenever he's not getting what he wants...

We're correcting it and getting better at ignoring, things are going well. I'll post pic's soon.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Bruce & Zoey

Zoey

Zoey
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Well that was a bit daft of your girlfriend's friend's gifter, but I suppose everything happens for a reason! Those crazy Frenchie-bunny ears are charming, and I am a sucker for brindles... Congrats on your new addition, and I hope the transition continues to go well!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • My experience at the dog park, for what it's worth, is that Frenchies and Shibas get along fairly well.

Enjoy your new fur friend!
  • What do you guys think of adding a Finnish Spitz or Siberian Husky? My husband and I want to add another dog to the family(and while I have plenty of time while I'm house hunting, gives me plenty of time to research for another dog also).
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @JosieAndMarou, both can be very barky, vocal breeds, as far as I know. But they could work. My Bowdu detests Sibes and Mals -- I think their spitzy vibe is too similar to his, and compounded with their size and energy, it sets him off. But a lot of Shiba people seem to do quite well with that combo.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • @curlytails Barking isn't too big of a deal to me. Like all things at a young age, it can be minimized. I've picked these two mainly because weather isn't an issue to them, and the weather here can be crazy sometimes(ridiculously hot to below 0), but either or they would be inside kept and exercised outside.
  • Hir0Hir0
    I think hiro has tried to persuade me to get a sibe, every time i have been to the dog park and there is a sibe in his sight doesn't matter the color or size he will dart right on over once he sees them. It's quite funny actually. The only dog that he ever does that with although he hasn't yet really socialized much with any other nk breeds so i would be interested to see how that goes since i would love to get a kai in the future
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    Maggie's best friend is a husky, and whenever we see Huskies out, Maggie seems totally fascinated. Good thing too - as David's st n a husky for our next dog... I'm sure Maggie will change a bit, but hopefully not too much!

@BruceBillis, Zoey is so cute, and I ope everything works out!
  • catloreecatloree
    @BruceBillis - Zoey is adorable! Congrats on your new addition, it sounds like Zoey & Bruce will be best buds :)
  • BootzBootz
    Congrats on Zoey!! Nice to know one owner's loss is another owner's gain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)