For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Miyuki Escaped
  • karashakarasha
    Today was one of the most panicked feelings I have ever had in my entire life.

In the mornings, before Miyuki has been feed, I like to let her out for about 15-20 minutes in the back yard. She likes to run around, instigate the neighbor's dog into a barking fit, sunbathe and ponder about life's finer details. While she has never been a digger, I assess the yard once in a while. She has always been too busy with the before-mentioned activities to really subject herself to, what us humans think as, wrong-doing.

However, this morning, when I opened the door and whistled for her to come in, there wasn't a peep. The grass did not rustle and the neighbor dog barely made a noise, when normally the dog barks if he hears someone breathing. I whistle again and the same silence greeted me.

Panic mode kicks in. I helplessly do a once over of the yard and two sides of the house. As I feared, not a Miyuki in site. I quickly call my mother and go back outside to start checking the fence line. By this time, I feel this crushing anxiety and hopelessness. I start hysterically crying, causing my mother to go into a sobbing fit herself.

The one thought looped in my head: "Once a Shiba is gone, they rarely will return." I also live in a neighborhood that is quite nice, yet, the outskirt neighborhoods are older and some houses are inhabited by questionable folk. So, another thought was "Someone is going to see her running on the road, think "OMG CUTE DOG. MINE NOW!"

So as I am getting to the last part of the fence, which did not differ from the other, hole-free, perfect fencing, I start to fear that my Shiba grew wings. The fence is easily over 6' tall. Miyuki can't even jump on the couch, much less climb up a fence.

Just as I am in the middle of this thought, I see this little red head, puffed cheek, pointed ear, and devious Shiba smile peering at me from under a hole. She shoots up from this small hole behind the AC-unit, and I just drop to the ground in tears. She came over and licked my face like "Why are you crying? I am RIGHT HERE."

The hole she masterly created lead her to the front street. Since no one is home at this time, she could have made it quite far without anyone stopping her.

Either way, all I know is she came home when she heard me crying. She has stood by me many times as I have cried. I like to feel that this time her loyalty to me was enough to override her Shiba brain and come home.

... Or maybe it was because I hadn't feed her yet, and she knew there are goodies in her bowl waiting for her. I prefer to think the former. ;)

UPDATE IN MY POST BELOW ~ ! !
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-06 04:24:40
  • tkfushtkfush
    Oh no! What a horrible feeling! I am so glad your Miyuki came home and is safe! What a stressful way to start your day!
  • Omg so scary! I would have bawled too! I hate that feeling although the last part was funny. Im glad she came home.
  • GatsuGatsu
    You had me worried there. I'm glad she came back! It must run in the family.

I take Guts to fenceless dog parks. I was being a bad owner and not paying attention the other day. Guts got out of the park and I did not see where he went. A few minutes later. I see him trotting down the road near the park, and he just comes walking back into the park to me. And he just gives me the look as if he is saying, WHAT'S UP!

here is a video of one of Guts' other escape. He got outside of the dog park, and was on the other side of the fence. Instead of running away, he was a little distress on not being able to get back into the park. I thought it was funny
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-03-22 12:39:12
  • catloreecatloree
    How scary!! I'm so glad she came home! But, I must say, the storytelling was great. You had my heart pounding!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • karashakarasha
    I have never gone from happy to completely hysterical so quickly. It's what I'd imagine a parent feels when they're walking in the mall, they turn around, and their child is gone. Miyuki means that much to me. I was in fear someone would pick her up and treat her poorly. She's a bit of a special needs dog, and is difficult to care for at times, so I could see her ending up at the pound quick. :\

I'm glad that you enjoyed the storytelling, @catloree. :)
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I'm glad this story has a happy ending!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Glad you have been reunited. Some forum members are using the TAGG tracking system. Two weeks ago at a meetup I met owner who uses it and are satified with the way it performs. There only criticism was to make sure it is attached properly to the collar or harness because their boy was able to get it off. If she is becoming adept at escaping you might want to reinforce the base of your fence.
    犬竜
  • BootzBootz
    oh man. Your story got me all worried and almost teary-eyed. Bootz ran away once T_T but it was while i was on vacation, and she was under my cousins care....she did come back for breakfast....darn food motivated Bootz!

I'm glad she came back :) its cute she popped her head in.
  • koyukikoyuki
    I agree with @catloree, great story telling! If this was a book i would hav to fight the urge to skip to the last page to make sure she comes home! Im glad she came home, mustve been very frightening. What a sweet girl to come back to her mummy crying :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • bobc33bobc33
    Funny on our evening walk tonight I was talking with my neighbors and mentioned I was thinking of fencing in a portion of our yard, but because Scout is such an escape artist ( I think and never want to find out) I'd have to ensure it is similar to a maximum security prison with concertina wire, manned guard towers and something to keep her from digging under it. And we joked the city probably wouldn't allow it under the zoning laws.
  • BootzBootz
    @bobc33, to avoid digging under the fence, try putting bricks lining along the fence! I never thought of that until my met up with my friend (whom i'm planning to have babysit Bootz while i'm gone). He 100% puppy proofed his yard. Tall Fences, brick flooring along the fencing, which discouraged his dog from digging. If his labador/american bulldog mix can't escape, I am confident Bootz can't.
  • konpeitokonpeito
    WOW When I read the title of this thread I freaked out and was going to do a signal boost! I'm really glad Miyuki's not actually missing. So glad she came back.

I'll be honest, when I'm in class or just gone for leisure (which is extremely rare these days), I worry that Apollo will bolt out the door or run away from my parents while being let out or slip out of his collar or something horrible involving him disappearing. I'm always wary with him because of his short attention span and how easily things will interest him, plus his newly discovered prey drive that has really taken off lately. Our previous dog would go running and not come back if he got out. I still can't comprehend how we always managed to catch him. And I don't know how we'd catch Apollo if he got out. Something I just constantly worry about...lol.

@Gatsu LOL! That's really funny. His face looks like "Hey, how did you get over there? Why aren't you over here with me?"
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • Scary story! Glad to hear all is ok though! Mine have escaped on a couple of occasions, and it is super stressful.
  • karashakarasha
    UPDATE:

When my boyfriend came home, he went to investigating the "crime scene." It is so unlike Miyuki to dig and try to do mischievous things to this level.

What also was questionable was when she came back, she didn't have a speck of dirt on her. None of the dirt was embedded into her nails (which currently are embarrassingly long) nor her paws. She was so clean for a dog who just dug herself to freedom.

He went to the other side of the gate, which faced the street. In a concerned voice, he slowly calls my name, as if he's in disbelief. I walk over and to my astonishment, all of the dirt was piled on this side of the fence. A stray dog had DUG INTO MY YARD. After further investigation, and thanks to the horrid wet weather lately, we saw HUGE paw prints in the dirt. Miyuki is the resident dog at my house, nor do we have dog visitors!

How I didn't see a stray dog rummaging in my backyard is beyond comprehension for me. As for what Miyuki did with the dog, I am unsure. Either she didn't care that the dog was in her backyard and told it to scram (unlikely -- Miyuki loves everything living) or she went on field trip with her new found friend.

Either way... bricks have been filled in the hole in hopes her mysterious friend doesn't come back.

One thing for sure -- THANK GOD SHE IS SPAYED.
  • Ho man, I know the feeling. Kinako is THE BEST at escaping! When he was a puppy he'd chew threw his leash, and of course being free he'd run. And I mean sprinting run. He would stay constantly out of reach and dash in different directions. I was only able to catch him because he stopped to say hello to a small group of dogs playing at the park.

Another time my boyfriend left Kinako at his house for 20 minutes tops to pick me up from work. We were just down the street when we saw the cutest little shiba running around all alone. Panic set in when we realized it was OUR shiba! We had no idea how long he'd be running around and I was just thankful that he hadn't been hit by a car.

Kinako stays indoors at my house and when we would take him to my boyfriend's house he has to stay outside with Koa, my boyfriend's Pit-Lab who is Kinako's absolute FAVORITE. They play together for a while but once they're bored of each other they'll just lounge around the yard. I remember going outside one afternoon to see how they were doing and found Koa staring through the gate (which is 3 to 3 1/2 ft high). Kinako was no where to be found. My boyfriend and I ran outside, looked up&down the street and were about circle around the next couple blocks when a bicyclist comes around the corner. And what do know, Kinako is trotting so nicely a couple feet behind him. The bicyclist told us that he was actually a couple houses down when he noticed Kinako behind him. Since he wasn't sure exactly which house he had come from he just circled the block thinking the dog would eventually go home. They were going in circles for nearly 10 minutes! There was absolutely no signs of his escape and later we learned that Kinako had somehow jumped OVER the gate.

Every time he's gotten away, he comes back with a smile on his face and wags his tail at me like nothings happened, probably with the same "I'm right here" expression Miyuki had. Even if I've nearly had a panic attack not knowing if he'll come back. I'm glad she's home and ok. :)
  • SkylerpaxSkylerpax
    Safari is a pretty good escape artist as all shiba's are (maybe they receive training in the womb?). Tstop her from digging under our fence we put cement tile under the fence all the way around and now she doesn't even try to dig anymore. Just a suggestion so there isn't a repeat, I can post pictures if you want.
    Post edited by Skylerpax at 2012-03-23 10:07:53
  • Stef777Stef777
    This is my biggest fear!!! I am soooo glad she came back and whatever dog was in your yard did not harm her!!
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    So glad she came back...this was a horrible story (but very well written)...I was crying for you at the thought you lost your baby!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)