For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Mental stimulation
  • SakuSaku
    Are there any mental exercises or activities you can do with your shiba inu? My shiba looked a bit bored. Besides physical exercise, I hope to stimulate their minds too. So far, I have taught them several tricks. the basics of sit, stay, leave it, hands, high-5, spin and walk with 2 legs in reverse. It was fun at first, but I dont really think it stimulates their mind and makes them think (shiba are too smart for that). I get bored too and don't want to turn my shiba into a clown. I tried the dog puzzle, they completed the first night I bought...i don't know what else I can do to entertain their minds.
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
  • sunyatasunyata
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-03-20 21:56:29
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Training classes!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Lradd58Lradd58
    Agility training!
  • SayaSaya
    Tracking if the dog likes to search for scents..

I dunno really I know some use treat in cup stuff.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KitsuKitsu
    Nina Ottosson
    The prices change often. I got my "Brick" game for $20.
  • Miyumi_PupMiyumi_Pup
    Treat balls and the wobbler keep mine busy for a bit. We are starting Agility classes soon because they really enjoyed their obedience classes. We are hoping to work both their minds and bodies.
    Heather, Logan, and two Shibas named Miyumi & Yoshiro
  • JuniJuni
    I have a couple of Nina Ottosson games and a few similar from Trixie (a German brand, not sure if it's available in the US but they are cheaper than the Nina Ottosson version and smaller so easier to store in a cupboard). She likes to play them over and over even if they are easy for her so I bring them out maybe once a week or once a fortnight.
    Other games we play:
    I hide treats all over the flat and Juni has to go search,
    I fold a blanket or towel 4-5 times and put treats inside the different folds,
    I put a treat inside an empty toilet roll and fold the ends (or use empty paper boxes) so she has to work a bit to open it.

I think clicker training in general makes them very tired because they have to think a lot to figure out what to do to make you click and reward.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)