For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Allergies? Grain free?
  • dmarie485dmarie485
    I know there has been some discussion about allergies and some about grain free food but none seem to answer my questions.... My puppy is 6 months old almost 7 months, and has usually been pretty ichy and I've noticed he is losin hair on the tips of his ears and it seems to be starting to be missing down the edges of his ears too. Now from what I have read this is most likely do to an allergy and I have read that many Shibas are allergic to grains, which leads me to my next question.... Which brands of grain free dog food is everyone feeding and having good results with? I have been buying my dogs food at pet smart and there is only one brand that sells a grain free puppy.... I am concerned about feeding adult dog food to a puppy... And the one brand that does have puppy is Blue Buffalo - I have read mixed reviews about the brand and don't know what to do... Any suggestions?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:15:21
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @dmarie485

I have a similar concern about my Shiba. He is only 4 months old and I just weaned him off of natures select to Blue Buffalo.

I asked my vet about potential allergies and she said that typically allergies don't present themselves in dogs until they are about a year old.

Right now we're working with antibiotics, sprays, etc. to address his scratching/hair loss, and if they are unsuccessful I may pay to have them run the gauntlet of allergy tests.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • SayaSaya
    Taste of the wild is all life stage food and grain free maybe try that? they sell at most local pet stores, tractor supply and rural king.. petsmart doesn't have it dunno on petco.

Raw is another option, but I'd research it before trying it.

Has the pups already lost their adult coat? Any pictures of the hair loss?
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-03-20 14:39:32
  • jjlcjjlc
    Our trainer recommended that we don't bother with the puppy specific food and just stick to an all life stages food. She she the difference is protein content and even then, it's slight. We use solid gold and have had no issues.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Acana is a good grain-free food... Also you can try Zero G by Darford. It's a little pricey. Hiro loves it. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a good resource.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Be careful about assuming it is allergies. If the fur loss worries you, take your puppy to the vet. There are many other medical issues that could cause fur loss.

However, at 7-8 months, many Shibas blow their coat for the first time, which can take many new owners by surprise, as it can be pretty drastic. I would honestly take your puppy to the vet first, then try an elimination diet if there are no other medical issues and you and your vet determine that he is not blowing his coat.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • dmarie485dmarie485
    I'm not as worried about the losing hair as I am finding a good dog food. I really like the grain free but there aren't many options for puppy....
  • BootzBootz
    Saya and Shibahiro recommended two good ones. Both are good brands. Like your trainer said, there is not much different between puppy and all life stages. TOTW has both all life stages and puppy formula. Acana is all life stages. If these are not available in the stores near you, just shop online. Wag.com sells TOTW.

As Sunyata mentioned, I would take the puppy to the vet to try to find the cause of the hair loss. The food can come later.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Taste of the Wild (they have the puppy formula but ALS work too)
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    Acana
    Orijen
    Nature's Domain (Costco brand - ingredients are similar to TOTW)

Those are all grain free brands that can be served to your little pup! Wag.com carries most brands. Petco carries Nature's Variety, Wellness, etc.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Don't forget "Great Life" which my dogs really love too.
    http://www.doctorsfinest.com/category_s/54.htm

Jesse
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Sakura lost hair in the same places due to multiple things. 1. Allergies, she is allergic to grains and poultry (poultry fat is in sooo many things, particularly food). 2. She had an ear infection. If you haven't already checked with your vet, I suggest you do so to rule out ear infection. 3. Dry air, we live in the midwest where it has been super dry this winter (and so far spring!) and now that the humidity is climbing back up, the hair is growing back.

So I would look into checking out those things as well. If later you decide you want information regarding poultry free foods (many shibas are allergic to cooked poultry), just message me and I can give you a list of things we use.

As far as giving a puppy adult food, check for foods that are "all life stages".
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • MyaMya
    Before you conclude they are allergies, please have the vet check for demodectic mange. It usually shows up at 6 months of age and when the immune system is not at highest performance. The puppy demodex is usually clears up quick with treatment or immune system boosting
  • dmarie485dmarie485
    has anyone used Blue Buffalo?
  • anharchyanharchy
    I've used the Blue Buffalo - both regular and the Wilderness grain-free. Regular was good, as was Wilderness for the most part. However, Wilderness didn't seem to fully agree with Azami (although she loved it), and we have her mostly on Acana + partial raw these days. She's never been on puppy food - only adult, per advice from our breeder.
  • lucylulucylu
    I used Blue Buffalo puppy food when we got Lucy. Found a nail in the bag. Called the company to just let them know, wasn't trying to get anything out of them, and their attitude about it made me never want to support that company again. Switched to Acana and raw and am living happily ever after.
  • Clover has been on Acana Wild Prairie since the beginning. She has the softest and most beautiful coat. Everyone at the dog park, vet etc wants to know how she got her beautiful coat! I had a very old dog and switched her from Orijen Sr to Acana a year before she died. I wanted a dog food I could use with her and use with a new puppy when Duchess left me.

I've read some things about dogs dying with Blue Buffalo. Have had friends whose dogs were on it. WHen they went to the vet the vet said "He's not on BB is he?" Several vets in the area have seen dogs die who were on it. Scary! The ingredients look good but I don't trust it!
  • BootzBootz
    I think, like with all products, some people have good experience and some bad. My friend owned some large breeds and fed them BB all their life. They lived to be 15+ which is past the average for a large dog. Large meaning 70 lbs +
  • @Mya, I have always assumed to definitely check for any form of mange if you are purchasing a new pup or rescuing a dog, but is there any need for concern of something like that if you have owned the dog since it was able to leave its mother and has always been on preventative care (I.e. Heartgard/Revolution/Frontline/etc.)? I know alot of members (myself included) have purchased their dogs from breeders and raised them, so in that sort of situation, when you KNOW how the dog has been raised and what it's been around, is demodex still a possible concern?
  • zandramezandrame
    Search Amazon for grain free dog/puppy food. There's lots of info in the reviews.

Also, http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/

BTW, Amazon Prime is amaaaazing
  • ArcticArctic
    I personally feed Sansa raw in the am and Orijen Six Fish in the afternoon.

And yes, Amazon Prime is fantastic. I order literally almost everything from Amazon. Orijen never seem to be prime eligible though :(
  • RikkaRikka
    Amazon FTW.
    Lauren, living with a 2 y/o Shiba named after a scientist.
  • I've tried Wellness, TOTW, Innova, and BB. So far, she has had the least gas and the best stools on BB. I'm thinking about trying Acana though since I've heard some negative things about BB and the ingredients seem to be a little bit better for about the same price. I try to stay with grain free whatever I give her just because it seems more natural and she tends to have less gas.
  • Ive been feeding Natures Recipe for a while now. The ingredients seem really good.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I have never had a bad with Blue Buffalo Wilderness and the doggies loved it. I had started them on Innova Evo, then Blue Buffalo, now Nature's Variety Instinct. Also give them some Nature's Instinct raw medallions (rabbit or duck) and occasionally mix in wet food from Core Wellness, Taste of the Wild, and the other above mentioned names. Most if not all are grain free and I haven't had problems with any of them. I think they are all pricey but you get what you pay for sometimes and Nikko is my love.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion