For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Question about giving pills
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Does anyone know if your dog swallows a if it is still going to be effective? I just gave my dog his monthly Trifexis and swallowed it while, didn't chew at all - gave it to him with a little peanut butter on it. Not sure if this is the right section for this question so please move it as appropriate. Thanks!
  • NekopanNekopan
    I can't speak specifically for Trifexis, but I'm pretty sure most medication for dogs is designed to work the same if it is chewed or swallowed whole.
  • SayaSaya
    Never given trifexis so dunno I doubt it'd matter if it had to be chewed or not the stomach acids should break it down?
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KitsuKitsu
    I'm not sure about the specific pill, but there's a lot of certain "treat" things where you put the pill inside and it's supposed to make it so the dog won't chew the pill. So I know there are some pills that aren't supposed to be chewed

Here's something that I think is supposed to help the dog chew the pill. Pill Pocket
    Post edited by Kitsu at 2012-03-20 00:44:47
  • Like all medication, it's designed to be broken down in the stomach. no need to chew!
  • BootzBootz
    ^ I agree with kipster. Don't need to chew :)
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Thanks for the replies. He usually chews it up so it never occurred to me to ask the vet about that. I was just a little concerned that maybe if it we down in one piece it may come out in one piece... haha

Typically he eats it like a treat, however, this time he spit it out twice so then I decided to try the peanut butter - maybe he's getting picky!
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @AWE46M3

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but just something you may want to keep an eye out for if you're not actually witnessing him eat the pill.

I give Bruce Triflexis along with a myriad of other medications etc. from his vet. And with the pills that he doesn't like (one of which being his Triflexis) he has learned to take the pill, eat the treat/peanut butter/flavoring etc. around it, but then he'll go into another room and spit the pill out.

And since Triflexis is only a once a month pill it's an issue if he doesn't take it.

Anyhow, I found 2 pills on the carpet in my house... now I triple check to make sure he's swallowed the medications.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    ^^^ He usually chews it up in front of me if I give it to him like a treat; as a reward for a trick or something. Last night was the first time he spit it out; he took it in his mouth twice and immediately spit it out. I did, however, watch him swallow it whole with the peanut butter. Hopefully next month he just eats it as he has in the past otherwise I may try hiding it in a piece of string cheese, or maybe those pill pockets.
  • AnnaAnna
    I've tricked Hammond by stuffing a pill in a piece of cheese, but the most effective way was to put the pill in his bowl, put a spurt of salmon oil on it, then put a few kibbles on it (or even put the pill on top of like 6-10 kibbles and then salmon oil on it all).

He gobbles it all down so fast that he doesn't even notice a pill in there. It helps that half the time he swallows his kibble whole, haha, so he doesn't notice a pill taste.

But I'm pretty sure all pet medicine can be given whole. For my cat I know it was okay because she wouldn't take anything (antibiotics, pain meds, etc. after her spay), so the vet gave me this weird long "pill pusher" device that I could stick in her mouth and push the pill into the back of her throat, so she was forced to swallow it.
  • Chevre works wonders. My boy has spit out peanut butter covered pills but he will never spit it out if it's covered in goat cheese, probably because he's too excited to do so.
  • a little off topic but if i might ask, what is Triflexis? is it something for joints?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @CoastalShiba240 - Trifexis is a combination pill that gives heartworm (and other internal parasites) and flea prevention to your dog.

It is basically a combination of Comfortis and Interceptor, if I am recalling correctly.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I usually give pills in little bits of cheese (we have a steady supply of string cheese for my Sheebs various meds), but Toby is a master at spitting out the ones he doesn't want. he doesn't like his allergy pill, for example an will often not eat it. So I have to bring out the serious stuff: liverwurst. He usually gobbles that down so fast he misses the pills.

(When he was very sick, though, and taking a huge amount of meds, even liverwurst wouldn't do it, so I had to just do the old school method: force open the mouth, drop pill in, then make him swallow by rubbing his throat. You'd be surprised, though, how well a Shiba can clamp his jaws together if he doesn't want something. I'm glad those days are over as it was a challenge to get him to take his meds).
  • Zim has always needed the pry open the jaws method. He seems to be able to tell when a pill is in food and he'll refuse to eat it. At least he likes the taste of heartworm meds.
  • skymeiskymei
    When I had to feed my doggy pills my friend suggested sticking the pills in cream cheese. It works wonders :P
  • SayaSaya
    Cream cheese yummy. Saya likes plain greek yogurt, American cheese too so those are options I'd use.

I give Saya joint chewable she doesn't like it despite it's peanut butter flavoring so I crush it into powder and mix it in either caned sardines, salmon, mackerel, plain Greek yogurt, coconut oil, or ground meat.

Funny sometimes she will willingly eat the pill with no fuss sometimes she doesn't want to so I always offer it first then if she refuses I mix it up.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • skymeiskymei
    When cream cheese goes into their mouth it melts right away and doesn't give them a chance to spit it back out :P

Hmmm maybe i'll try feeding kiwi some sardines or yogurt maybe she'll like it
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I give recently started giving Ryu a joint health supplement which is in pill form. At first I would just wrap it in the Pill Pals the Vet had given us for previous meds, but he after a few days he started spitting it out. I tried peanut butter, cheese, etc. and he would still spit it out. I just force feed it to him now. Until recently though the Pill Pals worked great.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/making-the-medicine-go-down-giving-a-dog-a-pill
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • I had to dissolve Kiba's first trifexis in his food bowl with kibbles and warm water as he just kept spitting it back out...I need to try new methos very soon here.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Insert into back of throat past tongue, my little fingers fit in a dog's mouth pretty well, tried and true for me...

If I decide I don't want to traumatize my dog, then I crush and mix with peanut butter and fold into a small sandwich with bread.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I used the nicer version of @kira_kira's methods. Works well.
  • koyukikoyuki
    Yep if hiding in food does not work (1 of my Shibas will just take the pill with nothing and swallow it whole,all the others can't be tricked hiding it in food), then I insert it in the throat, close their mouth and turn their head side to side and a quick blow in their nostrils if they refuse to swallow. Sounds harsh but when having to medicate a huge amount of cats and dogs at the shelter I worked at, some of those medications for very serious health conditions then using a method like this was one of the only ways to ensure the meds were consumed.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • koyukikoyuki
    Also while turning their heads I rub the bottom of their jaw and throat very gently
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • This morning I gave Quake his Heartgard Plus and he swallowed it whole which he had never done before. He usually just chews it like he would any treat. He was very excited this morning for an unknown reason. The instructions on the package say it must be chewed and not swallowed whole. I have put in a call to the vet to find out if I should give him another dose. This time I will crush it and put it in his food. Have any of you experienced this before?
  • I talked to the vet and she said that even tough the instructions on the Heartgard Plus package say that the pill must be chewed and not swallowed it is okay that he swallowed it. The medicine will still be effective. Next time I will crush it in his food.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Antoinette - Good info, thanks for the follow up. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Bumping an old thread. Several sources have told me NOT to use peanut butter to hide or coat a pill. One of the sources -- that I pay very close attention to -- is Jean Dodds. This is from her book "The Canine Thyroid Epidemic". She mentions toxic foods to avoid, and this includes nuts of any kind, including peanut butter. Our trainer also told us not to use peanut butter. We grind unsalted, plain peanuts at the health food store, so it contains nothing but the ground peanuts. Throughout history, peanut butter has been used in dog kongs, treats, pill giving, etc. etc. While I know that xylitol -- often found in the commercial brands -- can be toxic to dogs, what about pure peanut butter? There are two sides to the question about whether peanut butter deserves any place in a dog's diet, but it sure helps the medicine go down. What do you all think?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @DianaBoston - Peanuts (specifically, not all nuts) often exacerbate thyroid issues. If your pup is hypothyroid, I would avoid it as much as possible. Try almond butter, cashew butter, or sun butter instead (all natural, no sugar or salt added, of course).

While a little peanut butter on occasion will not be a disaster, giving it to your pup every day (especially at the time of giving the medication) can reduce the effect of the meds. Also, most hypothyroid meds should be given on an empty stomach (one hour before a meal or two hours after) to be most effective.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thanks @sunyata. We were thinking of grinding almonds, but dismissed that idea since almonds are a source of calcium, which binds with the thyroid med. We were told to avoid soy and calcium while administering the Thyro tab. Maybe we will try cashew butter or putting the pill in a tiny piece of meat. She is not a picky eater and will scarf most anything down.
  • @DianaBoston When giving antibiotics to one of ours, who also scarfs just about everything down, I just put it in my hand and he ate it as if it was a treat. Have you tried just giving it without food?

If it's one meant to be taken on an empty stomach that would be ideal, but it is more important that your pup take their medicine than that they take it on an empty stomach. For the other of ours, who hated her medicine and was supposed to take it on an empty stomach, I'd crush it with the back of a spoon and then mix it in with a tiny bit of Kefir (an unsweetened fermented milk product but really anything she'll eat would be fine so long as it's dog safe), and eventually she thought medicine time was treat time. :)
  • I give Quakey's medicine without food, out of my hand, as if it's a treat just like @spacedogs suggested. I say "yummy, yummy treat" in an excited voice like I do when I'm giving a treat. It works. :)
  • BootzBootz
    @DianaBoston

I give Bootz her meds without anything. Got tired of her getting smart and filtering out the medication. She's use to me putting my hand in her mouth. I put the med in the back of her mouth and she swallows it just fine

@sunyata 2 hours after a meal? I was told it was 3 hours? Just want to confirm since 2 hours is way easier than 3 :)
  • @spacedogs thanks! Good idea. I think I will smear the pill with coconut oil -- which she loves -- and see if that works.
  • According to Jean Dodds, it is 3 hours after a meal.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Bootz & @DianaBoston - My vet advised two hours and that has worked well for us over the past seven years. But if three hours is what works for your pup(s) and is what your vet (or Dr. Dodds) recommends, I would stick with that.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)